Topics

Chromium Context Menue Accessing Problems

Mike B

Hi All,

I don't know what happened but, I can't access any of the context menues in Edge, Brave & Chrome.  Once I press, Alt + F, I can't navigate except to arrow up to Exit and back down to New Tab Control.  This is happening with all versions of Jaws, NVDA and Narrator on Windows 10 and with all Jaws and NVDA on Windows 7.  I can understand a setting getting changed by accident on 1 computer, but on both?!  I do have a KVM switch connecting my Windows 7 & 10 computers where they both use the same keyboard, monitor and speakers, but I don't know what could've happened!  All advice is greatly appreciated!  Thanks much.

Brian Vogel <britechguy@...>

I am not sure if either one of these may be the case, but both are worth checking (particularly with the Sync feature among browsers on multiple machines):

1. Have you accidentally activated full screen mode?  F11 toggles full screen on/off.  Edge should still show its full context menu even when full screen is on, but the other Chromium-based browsers do not.

2. Could you possibly have toggled Windows 10 into Tablet mode?  Check the Action Center, as the Tablet Mode button acts as a toggle.  If it's on/active/pressed then hit it again.

Mike B

Okay, I did find the problem!  For whatever reason I tried navigating with the mouse to see what would happen and after moving the mouse and clicking the buttons the menues in all 3 browsers began working again.  I don't ever touch the mouse and it's tucked away so I don't touch it by accident, but something happened!  Well it's Halloween, goblins maybe?!  LOL

I don't know what happened but, I can't access any of the context menues in Edge, Brave & Chrome.  Once I press, Alt + F, I can't navigate except to arrow up to Exit and back down to New Tab Control.  This is happening with all versions of Jaws, NVDA and Narrator on Windows 10 and with all Jaws and NVDA on Windows 7.  I can understand a setting getting changed by accident on 1 computer, but on both?!  I do have a KVM switch connecting my Windows 7 & 10 computers where they both use the same keyboard, monitor and speakers, but I don't know what could've happened!  All advice is greatly appreciated!  Thanks much.

Mike B

I did try toggling the Full Screen key, F11, but that didn't help on either computer and tablet mode was not activated on the Windows 10 computer.  As I said in another message playing with the mouse did something that fixed the issue on both computers.  I guess somehow the mouse got bumped or jostled about and that triggered something and moving it / clicking the buttons stopped whatever had happened.  After feeling around my desk it feels like my speaker bar had slipped and bumped into the mouse which must been the cause of the problem.  Thank you very much for your input.

Sent: Saturday, October 31, 2020 11:53 AM

I am not sure if either one of these may be the case, but both are worth checking (particularly with the Sync feature among browsers on multiple machines):

1. Have you accidentally activated full screen mode?  F11 toggles full screen on/off.  Edge should still show its full context menu even when full screen is on, but the other Chromium-based browsers do not.

2. Could you possibly have toggled Windows 10 into Tablet mode?  Check the Action Center, as the Tablet Mode button acts as a toggle.  If it's on/active/pressed then hit it again.

Brian Vogel <britechguy@...>

I only wish we actually knew the exact genesis of the problem and its exact solution.  Alas, that's often not to be . . .

But you can bet your bottom dollar someday, at some unspecified point in the future, someone else is going to have this same issue!