From: Troy Burnham
Sent: Monday, August 10, 2020 3:23 PM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io
Subject: [TechTalk] closing laptop's lid while using?

Hi all,

I use a USB keyboard with my laptop and somebody who also uses a USB
keyboard told me the other day that they keep the lid closed even when
they're using it. I just wonder if that's advisable though because I
remember once I let my mom use my laptop, and she just closed the lid
without shutting it down first and when I found out and went back
several hours later the whole machine was so hot that I could barely
touch it.

That was several years ago now, but between that and leaving a desktop
computer on for a few days in a row many years ago and the motherboard
ended up burning up I don't want to take any chances, but if there is
some way that I can keep my laptop lid closed when I'm using it and the
heat won't damage it I might do that.

Oh, I don't run my laptop 24/7 but it is on all day long most days.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts on this matter.

Troy

lynn white

I've done that before. But generally, I shut it down first. But these days, if you close the lid it will shut down and you restart it when raising the lid or hit the button to restart.

On 8/10/2020 3:23 PM, Troy Burnham wrote:
[...]

Troy Burnham

Gene,

That's why I asked before I tried it, I have no idea why the person who told me they do this does it.

Troy

On 8/10/2020 3:36 PM, Gene wrote:
For one thing, a sighted persohn wouldn't close the lid.  That is a hint that laptops aren't designed to operate in that way.  How hot a computer gets depends on the computer and I don't know if one can generalize.  But wwhy do anything that causes extra heat to build up that might be too much. Also, I don't know what the default action is, but laptops generally are set at the factory to shut down or sleepp or in some way stop or suspend working when the lid is closed.  You can change the close the lid setting to do nothing, in which case the computer will still run but again, I think the setting that by default in some way stops operation is a hint that it is not a good idea to let a computer run with the lid down.  And why did the person want to do so in the first place?  I see no benefit.  Just because someone may think its cool to do something because its appealing doesn't mean it is.

Gene
-----Original Message----- From: Troy Burnham
Sent: Monday, August 10, 2020 3:23 PM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io

[...]

I did some looking around in power settings, I looked at what happens when closing the lid. My setting shows that the computer will shut down. These settings can be changed.

So, if you have a similar setting, it will be fine to shut the machine's lid and expect it to shut down. Hope this helps.

Sent: Monday, August 10, 2020 3:23 PM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io

[...]

Hey Troy,

Before doing that, check your power settings first. You'll be glad that you did.

Sent: Monday, August 10, 2020 3:23 PM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io

[...]

Vicky Vaughan

The reason I also have thought of closing my laptop's lid, is to keep it free from dust and fur that inevitably is floating around in the air.

Although, I try to keep a clean home, with both liking to have my porch door open and having a constantly shedding guide dog, this is not totally possible.

Vicky V

Sent: Monday, August 10, 2020 3:23 PM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io

[...]

https://www.avg.com

Evan Reese

It's been so long now that I forget what the other settings were when closing the lid on my Dell laptop. But I set mine to do nothing because there are times when I want to carry the computer from one place to another, and I don't want to be doing that while the lid is open. So I close the lid, pick it up, carry it outside, for example, then open it up and get back to whatever I was doing.

It isn't closed for more than a couple minutes.

Evan

Sent: Monday, August 10, 2020 3:23 PM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io

[...]

Unless you have a lot of dust floating near the computer or hair landing on it, I doubt it matters. And if the computer is warmer with the lid closed and the fan runs more, drawing more air through the computer, how do we know that won't deposit more dust or hair in it than just leaving the lid up during use?

Sent: Monday, August 10, 2020 3:23 PM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io

[...]

If you have a mechanical drive, you should put the computer in stand by or hibernate or have it off before carrying it. While it may be unlikely, unexpected fast movements or jolts could damage the hard drive. I never move my computer unless it is in sleep mode, off, or in hibernation.

Sent: Monday, August 10, 2020 3:23 PM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io

[...]

Geoff Eden

I offer my two cents. The laptop was designed from conception to completion to shed heat with its lid open. I don't believe the designers ever envisaged use with the lid closed.

The fact that it works, apparently, for some computers, is probably brand specific, or good luck.

As I'm sure you have observed, whenever the computer gets warm the fan kicks in and brings the processor back to a temperature range within which the processor works most efficiently. There are a number of utilities out there that will take the temperature of several areas on your motherboard if you're interested. One of the design features built into your computer and its processor is that the speed of processing is reduced as temperature goes up, as an attempt to keep that heat under control. The reduced load is also part of overall battery and power management, and the balances designed for performance and long life

It's also my contention that the heat buildup with the lid closed will eventually damage the display. I have, with my six-year-old Dell laptop, reduce the heat substantially by installing a 500 GB SSD for a cost of about $80. I too would find it convenient to run it with the lid closed. However, running temperature software, I see that the temperature goes up fairly quickly and I hear the fan working harder than normal. Of course, you can tell the computer how to behave when it's closed in the Control Panel under power settings.

I'm not sure if I want to risk damaging the display, even though I don't use it. It just doesn't feel right.

You might consider some kind of compromise by putting some cardboard or something in between the lid and the body that would not totally compromise air circulation, but it's your gamble. Of course, I appreciate how much more convenient it would be to run a closed computer.

Geoff

[...]

Loy

Closing the lid would also muffle the speakers.

[...]

chris judge

Not sure I agree with that. Many laptops have optional docking stations that allow you to connect an external monitor, keyboard and such. I've used one at work for years and keep the lid of the laptop closed as having both the built in screen and external monitor showing would be silly. Most modern laptops don't get hot with the lids closed.

Chris Judge

[...]

There is a setting under power options to do nothing when closing the lid. As I mentioned earlier, the lid of my laptop at work is usually closed unless I either use it away from my desk, or have to lift the lid to get to the power button. I've never has an issue.

Chris Judge

Sent: Monday, August 10, 2020 3:23 PM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io

[...]

You may be correct. This is a very long thread on the subject and most participants sayy its alright to run computers with the top down except for certain conditions, which some members discuss.
https://superuser.com/questions/1535857/is-it-wrong-to-use-a-laptop-with-the-lid-closed

Of course, you can check to see if your computer is hotter and how much if you use it with the top close. Opening it to check should give you an idea.

One thing that was discussed is the effect of keeping the top down has on WiFi performance. The antenna is in the top and it degrades WiFi performance, according to one user when it is flat and not vertical. .

Gene

[...]

Veronica Kirk

I also use a USB keyboard with my laptop with the lid closed, but it does not get hot. I have everything hooked up to a docking station. The computer is usually on all day, but then I turn it off before going to bed, never opening the laptop as I turn it off using the docking station. I usually scan my computer for viruses at night, so at that time, the computer will be on for two days.

I also use a USB keyboard with my laptop and somebody who also uses a USB keyboard told me the other day that they keep the lid closed even when they're using it. I just wonder if that's advisable though because I remember once I let my mom use my laptop, and she just closed the lid without shutting it down first and when I found out and went back several hours later the whole machine was so hot that I could barely touch it.

That was several years ago now, but between that and leaving a desktop computer on for a few days in a row many years ago and the motherboard ended up burning up I don't want to take any chances, but if there is some way that I can keep my laptop lid closed when I'm using it and the heat won't damage it I might do that.

Oh, I don't run my laptop 24/7 but it is on all day long most days.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts on this matter.

Troy

Veronica Kirk

My computer is a Dell also, and when removing it from the docking station, of course the lid is closed. I can then take it outdoors with the lid closed and then open it up to use the keyboard on the laptop, as the computer was already on when removing it from the docking station.

Sent: Monday, August 10, 2020 3:23 PM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io

[...]

Pamela Dominguez

Where I used to live, I would take my old laptop, put on a stream of a station, go out of my apartment with it under my arm, and go sit downstairs in one of the public areas and sit and listen to it. Pam.

Sent: Monday, August 10, 2020 3:23 PM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io

[...]

Well, maybe it would with this one I have now; I haven't been able to test that. But with my older one, the speakers were along the front. There was a long metal thing with holes in it. Pam.