From: main@TechTalk.groups.io <main@TechTalk.groups.io> On Behalf Of Howard Traxler
Sent: Thursday, May 19, 2022 9:37 AM
To: TechTalk <main@TechTalk.groups.io>
Subject: [TechTalk] Closing Programs

My downstairs computer is an Asus M32CB desktop running Windows 10 and NVDA 2.1.3.3. After doing a windows reset, one of the problems is, it does not close programs with alt F4. It seems to just minimize them. I found this by using alt tab to rotate through running programs; and whatever I was using is still running. Only way I can actually close a program is to use the system menu (alt spacebar) then choose close. Anyone know how to get it back to where alt F4 closes stuff?

Also, NVDA key plus F12 is now silent. I used to like that command to get the time quickly.

Thanks anybody for your suggestions.

Howard

Gene

Evidently, when you reset the computer, you set the fn key to the default so it is now on.  You may be able to turn it off with a software command which others may know.  If you hold the fn  key and then issue the time command, do you hear it?  How about holding it and closing a program?

Gene

On 5/19/2022 11:37 AM, Howard Traxler wrote:
My downstairs computer is an Asus M32CB desktop running Windows 10 and NVDA 2.1.3.3.  After doing a windows reset, one of the problems is, it does not close programs with alt F4.  It seems to just minimize them.  I found this by using alt tab to rotate through running programs; and whatever I was using is still running.  Only way I can actually close a program is to use the system menu (alt spacebar) then choose close.  Anyone know how to get it back to where alt F4 closes stuff?

Also, NVDA key plus F12 is now silent.  I used to like that command to get the time quickly.

Thanks anybody for your suggestions.

Howard

Gene

I consider it the fault of how techs are trained.  It is done with good intentions.  But when a blind person has a machine serviced, service people should be trained not to change any settings without asking the person first.  Since techs aren't trained in this way, it may not be their fault, but it is the fault of how they are trained.

Gene

On 5/19/2022 11:55 AM, Marilyn and Don Bilderback wrote:
Hi Howard.
Every time I get my computer back from Data Doctors, the Insert and F 12 keys don't work.  I have to check the num pad to see if it is set to number lock off.  And also check another setting by pressing insert zero. Not their fault because of my using key strokes to work my computer and after all, they are just checking everything to ensure all is OK.  But, it made me learn to check these things to make them work again. I was forced to memorize and recall what to do.

Maybe one of these key strokes will help you get the time back.  I rely on that for a clock myself.
Marilyn

My downstairs computer is an Asus M32CB desktop running Windows 10 and NVDA 2.1.3.3.  After doing a windows reset, one of the problems is, it does not close programs with alt F4.  It seems to just minimize them.  I found this by using alt tab to rotate through running programs; and whatever I was using is still running.  Only way I can actually close a program is to use the system menu (alt spacebar) then choose close. Anyone know how to get it back to where alt F4 closes stuff?

Also, NVDA key plus F12 is now silent.  I used to like that command to get the time quickly.

Thanks anybody for your suggestions.

Howard

.

Gene

I'll add that fn key plus another key or keys such as fn alt f4, fn 3, etc. keys perform different functions on different computers.  While I don't think trying fn alt f4 or fn JAWS or NVDA key f12 will change any settings or take any actions, you may not want to experiment, just in case.

Others may have comments.
Gene

On 5/19/2022 11:59 AM, Gene via groups.io wrote:
[...]

Howard Traxler

Thank you Marilyn, On my working (upstairs) computer, my time command works whether the numlock is on or off.  What does NVDA plus 0 do?  I assume you mean 0 on the numbers row?  It does nothing here; and in the keyboard help it doesn't say it should do anything.

Howard

[...]

Thank you Gene; but, to my knowledge, there is no FN key on this keyboard.  Unless:  the windows logo/start key on the right side; apparently does nothing.  Maybe that's an FN key.  But I don't think an FN key says anything by itself.  Incidentally, this is a desktop machine with NVDA keyboard set to laptop.

Howard

On 5/19/2022 11:59 AM, Gene wrote:
[...]

Normally alt F4 closes all programs.

Ashley Breger

On May 19, 2022, at 12:21 PM, Howard Traxler <htraxler7@...> wrote:

[...]

I don't know what you are using as an NVDA key but if you are using numpad insert, the numlock  must bee off for the numpad insert to work as an NVDA key.

Gene

On 5/19/2022 12:16 PM, Howard Traxler wrote:
Thank you Marilyn, On my working (upstairs) computer, my time command works whether the numlock is on or off.  What does NVDA plus 0 do?  I assume you mean 0 on the numbers row?  It does nothing here; and in the keyboard help it doesn't say it should do anything.

Howard
On 5/19/2022 11:55 AM, Marilyn and Don Bilderback wrote:
Hi Howard.
Every time I get my computer back from Data Doctors, the Insert and F 12 keys don't work.  I have to check the num pad to see if it is set to number lock off.  And also check another setting 0000by pressing insert zero. Not their fault because of my using key strokes to work my computer and after all, they are just checking everything to ensure all is OK.  But, it made me learn to check these things to make them work again. I was forced to memorize and recall what to do.

Maybe one of these key strokes will help you get the time back.  I rely on that for a clock myself.
Marilyn

My downstairs computer is an Asus M32CB desktop running Windows 10 and NVDA 2.1.3.3.  After doing a windows reset, one of the problems is, it does not close programs with alt F4.  It seems to just minimize them.  I found this by using alt tab to rotate through running programs; and whatever I was using is still running.  Only way I can actually close a program is to use the system menu (alt spacebar) then choose close. Anyone know how to get it back to where alt F4 closes stuff?

Also, NVDA key plus F12 is now silent.  I used to like that command to get the time quickly.

Thanks anybody for your suggestions.

Howard

.

Gene

I don't know what the key on the right does.  I've heard of keys on the right such as you are discussing before that seem to do nothing on some keyboards.

Gene

On 5/19/2022 12:22 PM, Howard Traxler wrote:
[...]

Exactly right!  That's why I'm asking how to make it happen.

On 5/19/2022 1:17 PM, Ashley Breger via groups.io wrote:
[...]

Until you solve the problem, you can easily close programs in the following way:
Issue the command alt space, that is, hold alt and press space while doing so.
You are in the system menu.  One of the items in the menu is close.  You can type c to active the close.
In summary, alt space bar, followed by c.

Gene

On 5/19/2022 2:03 PM, Howard Traxler wrote:
[...]

Found something:  This is an Asus computer and Asus has a utility that starts up at boot.  It changes the function keys into other controls.  For example f12 is next track, f11 play/pause, f10 is previous track. 1, 2, 3, and 4 do other thing, too.  I just don't know how to change them back.  I've tried to remove the Asus utility but I don't know if I was successful.  When I reboot, I'll find out.  But, I'm afraid to reboot; it's a real problem getting this thing to talk again.

Oh well, cross my fingers.

Howard