Columns and rows in Excel

Marilyn and Don Bilderback

I have a document in Excel that follows the check book

Register example.  Every column and row has a letter and number that I would like to silence. There is no advantage to me to hear these coordinates.  How do I turn them off in this document only?  Or will the turn off take away them in everything I do in an Excel spread sheet?

Marilyn

Quentin Christensen

Hi Marilyn,

If using NVDA, you can stop reporting of cells in NVDA's document formatting settings (NVDA+control+d then tab to the option (or alt+o to toggle cell coordinates directly).  But yes, that will change it for any Excel file you open.  The other option could be to use configuration profiles.  You could set one up how you like for this particular document, then assign it a keystroke in NVDA's Input Gestures (NVDA+n, p, then n) to enable it.

Kind regards

Quentin.

--
Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager

Marilyn and Don Bilderback

Quentin,  Thanks, that makes me happy.  I think I can live with the coordinates off in all documents as we don’t have that many.  I didn’t know the row and column didn’t show to sighted people.  Silly me! After ten years plus, I never thought to question the announcements.  It is so much better now, thanks a million.

[...]

Visually, there is a row above the first row in the spreadsheet with the letters A, B, C, etc (After Z, it goes to AA, AB, AC, etc, all the way up to XFD).  Going down the left hand side of the window are the numbers 1, 2, 3, up to 1048576.  The background colour of those is the same as the ribbon etc, so they are distinguished from the working area of the spreadsheet.  The current column letter and current row number are highlighted, so a sighted user can tell from that.  Also, above that row of letters is the formula bar - where the formula or contents of the current cell are displayed (The cell in the worksheet itself shows the result of the formula).  To the left of the formula bar is the "Name box", and eid box with the current cell coordinates in it, or, if the cell is named, the name of the cell.

You can turn off the display of the column and row "Headings" (those numbers and letters I just described), from the View ribbon in Excel (the option is called "Headings".  Note that turning that option on or off does not affect whether NVDA reads the cell coordinates .

Kind regards

Quentin.