Complex Question About HTML Coding And Display In Browser

Ron Canazzi

Hi Group,

Let me explain the situation and background.  For years now, I have been saving the recaps of NFL football games to disc in HTML format from the various sports websites: ESPN, CBS Sports, Yahoo Sports and so on.

Recently, I have noticed that when I save as HTML files, when trying to access the files with Firefox and Edge browsers hours or days later, that some elements do not display.  In particular, I want the recap and post game interviews on a page.  When I load the page, I do not see that actual recap--even though the recap link is displayed as an active link.

Now when I save the page to text file or even copy the text using the copy and paste feature of the browsers, and paste  the contents of the clipboard into a text editor, the content shows. This is even after saving the page first in HTML to disc.

In addition, I have a very old version of the Lynx browser ported to Windows from back n the early 2000's. When I manually load the saved HTML file from the modern browsers into Lynx, the text shows. (yes the Lynx browser still works--even in Windows 11, but with each Windows update, you have to reconfigure the program. The easiest way to do this is to save the Lynx.rc and bookmarks.html file and paste it into the appropriate folder after each Windows update.)

I am by no means an expert in HTML formatting, so I ask the simple question, why is this happening? What aspect of the code or the way I am saving the files would cause this?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

--
Signature: