Compressing files with 7-zip

Lisa Belville

Hi, all.

I have a collection of short videos I need to send to someone. They're using a business sharing service rather than something like Dropbox or Google Drive.  There's a link to a page that lets me browse to the file where I can then upload it from my Windows 10 PC.

I have DSL with a slow upload speed. I need to send a folder with several small videos that's just over 4 GB unzipped and uncompressed.

Can 7-Zip compress this folder into something that's small enough to upload without it taking hours?

If so how do I do this?  All of the choices in the 7-Zip menu seem to involve compressing and then Emailing, which I don't need to do.  A nicely zipped and compress file I can upload to this sharing site is what I need.

TIA for the help.

Lisa

Lisa Belville

missktlab1217@...

Michelle S

Lisa, your best bet would be to create a folder with all of the files you want to send and then just compress the folder. Once you do this, just upload the folder to the service.

On 2022-08-11 3:07 p.m., Lisa Belville wrote:
Hi, all.

[...]

Hi.  So, I choose compress and not zip?  Just want to make sure I have the terminology right.  both options are in the menu.

Lisa Belville
missktlab1217@...

On 2022-08-11 3:07 p.m., Lisa Belville wrote:
Hi, all.

[...]

I just looked at the menu and it seems that the compress option is the one that will let you Email so this is not the option you want.

Once you create the folder with all of the files and go into the menu, you want the option that says add, this is going to be the zip option.

Let me give you an example. Lets say your folder is called small videos, the menu option that you want is add to small videos.zip.

On 2022-08-11 3:07 p.m., Lisa Belville wrote:
Hi, all.

[...]

Yes, I've already done that,

I start with a folder called LB videos and when the zipping process is complete there's another folder in my documents called LB Videos.zip but the size of the original folder and the size of the new folder with the same name and .xip extension is 4.52 GB.

I guess I'm just now getting that zipping a folder just puts everything into a single bundle but doesn't adjust the size of the folder.  My confusion is due to having heard these terms mentioned interchangeably in the past.

Is there a way to compress this with 7-Zip that doesn't involve Emailing?

Lisa Belville

missktlab1217@...

On 2022-08-11 3:07 p.m., Lisa Belville wrote:
Hi, all.

[...]

I've noticed that when you zip a folder, you really don't save that much space. The original folder and the zip archive are going to be roughly the same size.

I can't remember if you mentioned this in your original Email but what service are using to upload the file. You can just go to the website and see if it will let you browse your files and then add the zip file so you can send it.

On 2022-08-11 3:07 p.m., Lisa Belville wrote:
Hi, all.

[...]

Ah, yes, this is the problem.   <sigh>

I have a very slow upload speed with my DSL.

I was uploading one of the individual files that was around a gig and only 16 percent  was uploaded after 25 minutes.

I haven't uploaded files this large in a while, so I'm not sure what is or isn't a normal speed.  That seems kind of slow to me, though.

This is also something I would like to complete as soon as possible.

Lisa

Lisa Belville
missktlab1217@...

On 2022-08-11 3:07 p.m., Lisa Belville wrote:
Hi, all.

[...]

Yes, this seems kind of slow to me too. You may want to start uploading files when you're not really doing anything else on your pc. Example, start uploading really early or later on in the evening.

On 2022-08-11 3:07 p.m., Lisa Belville wrote:
Hi, all.

I have a collection of short videos I need to send to someone. They're using a business sharing service rather than something like Dropbox or Google Drive. There's a link to a page that lets me browse to the file where I can then upload it from my Windows 10 PC.

I have DSL with a slow upload speed. I need to send a folder with several small videos that's just over 4 GB unzipped and uncompressed.

Can 7-Zip compress this folder into something that's small enough to upload without it taking hours?

If so how do I do this?  All of the choices in the 7-Zip menu seem to involve compressing and then Emailing, which I don't need to do.  A nicely zipped and compress file I can upload to this sharing site is what I need.

TIA for the help.

Lisa

Lisa Belville

missktlab1217@...

Ron Canazzi

Hi Group,

Be advised that zipping video/audio/other forms of digital media saves very little space regardless of the zip or compression program. That just the way it works.  On the other hand, if you have a 1 GB folder with text files, you will probably compress them down to well under 100 MB--a 90
% or more reduction in size.

Hi, all.

--
Signature:
For a nation to admit it has done grievous wrongs and will strive to correct them for the betterment of all is no vice;

Lisa Belville

Hi, Ron.

Yes, I figured that out the hard way. If I didn’t need to get these uploaded as soon as possible, I would just put everything on a thumb drive and send it via snail mail or maybe overnight.

I’ve started uploading the zip file and so far after about an hour it’s at 15%. Not sure if that’s good or not, I haven’t really got any way to check my Internet speed.

Thanks for the info, though.

Lisa

On 2022-08-11 3:07 p.m., Lisa Belville wrote:
Hi, all.

[...]

Curtis Delzer

find out whether or not *.7z files are acceptable which are a little more compressed than *.zip. probably your video files are also "archived," or compress somewhat, but it may happen that 7z files may compress enough if they'll accept them though it isn't much.

On 8/11/2022 12:07 PM, Lisa Belville wrote:
[...]

H.S.
K6VFO
Rialto, CA
curtis@...

Gene

Zipping won't reduce the folder size of such files to any extent.  If you can make the files smaller and not lose quality, or if a loss doesn't matter, you need to convert the actual files to a smaller format.  I don't know enough about image files to discuss that further, but just making a 7z or a zip or other such file containing all the images will not save enough room to matter.

Formats such as zip save room when used when compressing text files but not formats like music formats or image formats.  When used as you are using a zip format, the purpose is to place everything in one file so you can upload it as one file.

You said the upload will take hours.  If you upload the file while you are sleeping or during a time you won't be using the computer for many hours, it shouldn't be disruptive.

Gene

On 2022-08-11 3:07 p.m., Lisa Belville wrote:
Hi, all.

[...]

If your speed is anything like my upload speed, that's probably about what you should expect.  If you get roughly fifteen percent uploaded ;per hour, then uploading overnight, when you probably aren't using the computer should allow the upload to complete in less than eight hours.

Gene

On 2022-08-11 3:07 p.m., Lisa Belville wrote:
Hi, all.

[...]

I actually compressed the folder, but the only options under the 7-zip menu for compression were to compress and Email it.  I couldn't figure out where it was putting the compressed files.  I didn't think it could get a 4 GB folder down to anything small enough to be Emailed anyway, but it would still have been a good option.

Lisa Belville
missktlab1217@...

On 8/11/2022 5:05 PM, Curtis Delzer wrote:
[...]

Well, it seems to have worked.

I started uploading the .zip file at 3:30 PM central time yesterday and when I checked last night at 10:00 it was at 58%.  When I checked at 5:20 this morning, it had completed.  The sharing site being used doesn't give me an exact time for when the upload finished, but I'd guess at around 3 AM or so.

Twelve hours to upload 4 GB.  Sheesh.  LOL

Lisa Belville
missktlab1217@...