Topics

Copying large amounts of stuff

Howard Traxler

Hi All,

On my main computer, I have a very large folder of mp3 (music) files.  On several external drives, I have folders of the same type containing much of the same stuff.  I'd like to copy what I need from the externals to my main drive to make a master containing everything.  However, when I do this, I'm doing a lot of replacing; when folders and files already exist on the target drive.  Question is:  Is there a command set or software program that will copy just the fresh stuff and ignore the existing duplicate stuff?  It sure would be a time saver if it could be done.

Any ideas?  Thanks.

Howard

Jujube

Hi Howard,
When the computer propts that the file already exists, arrow down and check the box that says "do this for all conflicts" and choose the action you want.

----- Original Message -----
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io
Date sent: Sun, 2 Dec 2018 19:40:18 -0600
Subject: [TechTalk] Copying large amounts of stuff

Hi All,

On my main computer, I have a very large folder of mp3 (music) files. 
On several external drives, I have folders of the same type containing
much of the same stuff.  I'd like to copy what I need from the externals
to my main drive to make a master containing everything.  However, when
I do this, I'm doing a lot of replacing; when folders and files already
exist on the target drive.  Question is:  Is there a command set or
software program that will copy just the fresh stuff and ignore the
existing duplicate stuff?  It sure would be a time saver if it could be
done.

Any ideas?  Thanks.

Howard

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Groups.io Links: Every message in topics or hashtags you are following is emailed to you.
The first message of every new thread is also emailed to you.
You automatically follow any topics you start or reply to

Ron Canazzi

Hi Howard,

I don't  know what version of Windows you are using and what screen reader, but for many Windows versions and many versions of screen readers, when you copy a large group of files like that and when Windows detects that there are duplicates, Windows prompts you to replace, skip or copy and maintain or something like that. In Windows 8 and 10, there is a checkbox that says 'perform the same action for the next X number of files.'  If you check this checkbox, then Windows will skip (if you desire) all the duplicates and copy over only the new files.

On 12/2/2018 8:40 PM, Howard Traxler wrote:
Hi All,

On my main computer, I have a very large folder of mp3 (music) files.  On several external drives, I have folders of the same type containing much of the same stuff.  I'd like to copy what I need from the externals to my main drive to make a master containing everything.  However, when I do this, I'm doing a lot of replacing; when folders and files already exist on the target drive.  Question is:  Is there a command set or software program that will copy just the fresh stuff and ignore the existing duplicate stuff?  It sure would be a time saver if it could be done.

Any ideas?  Thanks.

Howard

--
They Ask Me If I'm Happy; I say Yes.
They ask: "How Happy are You?"
I Say: "I'm as happy as a stow away chimpanzee on a banana boat!"

Angelo Sonnesso

For my example I will assume that you files are on e:\mp3 and that you sending them to c:\mp3
From the command line
Xcopy e?\mp3\*.mp3 c:\mp3 /d /I /s
This should do it.
There are other ways, but this works pretty fast.

73 N2DYN Angelo

-----Original Message-----
From: main@TechTalk.groups.io <main@TechTalk.groups.io> On Behalf Of Howard Traxler
Sent: Sunday, December 2, 2018 8:40 PM

Hi All,

On my main computer, I have a very large folder of mp3 (music) files. On several external drives, I have folders of the same type containing much of the same stuff. I'd like to copy what I need from the externals to my main drive to make a master containing everything. However, when I do this, I'm doing a lot of replacing; when folders and files already exist on the target drive. Question is: Is there a command set or software program that will copy just the fresh stuff and ignore the existing duplicate stuff? It sure would be a time saver if it could be done.

Any ideas? Thanks.

Howard

Howard Traxler

Thank you to everyone who answered my copying question.Most answers were the same and I will be giving them a try.  Once I get a good master copy, I'll make one to two backups and then I will only need this procedure to refresh the backups.

Thanks.

Howard

Gene

This may or may not be helpful.  If you do a Google, or whatever search engine you use, and search for copy only new files, you will see a lot of results.  I didn't look at many, but there are third party programs, free and paid, that allow this.  Does Karen's replicator work in Windows 10?  I never used it, but I believe it had that ability.

Gene

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Monday, December 03, 2018 1:27 AM
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] Copying large amounts of stuff

Hi Howard,

I don't  know what version of Windows you are using and what screen
reader, but for many Windows versions and many versions of screen
readers, when you copy a large group of files like that and when Windows
detects that there are duplicates, Windows prompts you to replace, skip
or copy and maintain or something like that. In Windows 8 and 10, there
is a checkbox that says 'perform the same action for the next X number
of files.'  If you check this checkbox, then Windows will skip (if you
desire) all the duplicates and copy over only the new files.

On 12/2/2018 8:40 PM, Howard Traxler wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> On my main computer, I have a very large folder of mp3 (music) files. 
> On several external drives, I have folders of the same type containing
> much of the same stuff.  I'd like to copy what I need from the
> externals to my main drive to make a master containing everything. 
> However, when I do this, I'm doing a lot of replacing; when folders
> and files already exist on the target drive.  Question is:  Is there a
> command set or software program that will copy just the fresh stuff
> and ignore the existing duplicate stuff?  It sure would be a time
> saver if it could be done.
>
>
> Any ideas?  Thanks.
>
>
> Howard
>
>
>
>
>
--
They Ask Me If I'm Happy; I say Yes.
They ask: "How Happy are You?"
I Say: "I'm as happy as a stow away chimpanzee on a banana boat!"

Vicky Vaughan

HiList, I would really like to know the answer as well!

Sincerely, Vicky

-----Original Message-----
From: main@TechTalk.groups.io <main@TechTalk.groups.io> On Behalf Of Howard Traxler
Sent: Sunday, December 2, 2018 8:40 PM

Hi All,

On my main computer, I have a very large folder of mp3 (music) files. On several external drives, I have folders of the same type containing much of the same stuff. I'd like to copy what I need from the externals to my main drive to make a master containing everything. However, when I do this, I'm doing a lot of replacing; when folders and files already exist on the target drive. Question is: Is there a command set or software program that will copy just the fresh stuff and ignore the existing duplicate stuff? It sure would be a time saver if it could be done.

Any ideas? Thanks.

Howard

---
This email has been checked for viruses by AVG.
https://www.avg.com