From: "Howard Traxler" <howard@...
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io
Date sent: Sun, 2 Dec 2018 19:40:18 -0600
Subject: [TechTalk] Copying large amounts of stuff

Hi All,

On my main computer, I have a very large folder of mp3 (music) files.
On several external drives, I have folders of the same type containing
much of the same stuff.  I'd like to copy what I need from the externals
to my main drive to make a master containing everything.  However, when
I do this, I'm doing a lot of replacing; when folders and files already
exist on the target drive.  Question is:  Is there a command set or
software program that will copy just the fresh stuff and ignore the
existing duplicate stuff?  It sure would be a time saver if it could be
done.

Any ideas?  Thanks.

Howard

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Groups.io Links: Every message in topics or hashtags you are following is emailed to you.
The first message of every new thread is also emailed to you.
You automatically follow any topics you start or reply to

Ron Canazzi

Hi Howard,

I don't  know what version of Windows you are using and what screen reader, but for many Windows versions and many versions of screen readers, when you copy a large group of files like that and when Windows detects that there are duplicates, Windows prompts you to replace, skip or copy and maintain or something like that. In Windows 8 and 10, there is a checkbox that says 'perform the same action for the next X number of files.'  If you check this checkbox, then Windows will skip (if you desire) all the duplicates and copy over only the new files.

--
They Ask Me If I'm Happy; I say Yes.
They ask: "How Happy are You?"

Angelo Sonnesso

For my example I will assume that you files are on e:\mp3 and that you sending them to c:\mp3
From the command line
Xcopy e?\mp3\*.mp3 c:\mp3 /d /I /s
This should do it.
There are other ways, but this works pretty fast.

73 N2DYN Angelo