decided to buy a new desktop

heather albright

Well, I guess I am coming in to this decade I am finally going to upgrade my desktop after 7 or 8 years.  So do I have to tell them I want an  m2 slot or is there another term?  I ran the Belarc adviser and it said I did not have  hiper threaded with my cores. I read up that the hiper threaded makes them faster for the PC.  Everything else was intergraded on the mother board, sound, internet card, graphics card and  memory. It was all intel integrated. The first thing to go out on this machine was the sound about 1.5 years ago. I am wired in to the modem as the wireless is not that great .I have to use a USB cord to get my printer to print too. So I am not sure what went out that these do not work anymore unless I do it threw a cable. I know the Bluetooth still works as my keyboard and mouse still work with the dongle. Monitor port does not work but I just switched to a  USB monitor. I was just wondering if I can get a tower  casing that vents heat more evenly. Or are the tower cases different these days. Thanks everybody.

 Heather

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

John Holcomb II

What do you do with your PC?

Desktops are even cheaper than laptops and you could get a small form factor PC SFF if  space is a concern.

You a can get intergraded graphics and internal sound as well and that would probably serve you find unless you’re doing something more  complex.

John

On 2021-06-18 6:58 p.m., John Holcomb II wrote:
>  From what I remember Dell’s are easiest to open up based on my reading.
>
> You probably want one that you don’t k needs tools to open.
>
> I’d go mainstream core I7 if I were you.
>
> G Get that M.2 drive for programs and then you could get a tower with 3 or more beys depending on how bibg you wanna go to put s spinning drives in for storage.
>
> John

mcLeod stinnett

--
From Mack heather over at the blind ads list, you can contact Kevin who sells re-fervished desktops etc. you can save a bit of money, and they come up with jaws speaking in demo mode, no log in required. To purchase or for questions contact Kevin at:

801-765-4329

or send an Email to:

nocm@juno.com

enes sarıbaş

They also use newer processor technology, 7 nanometer vs 14 nanometer for Intel, don't have as many hardware side channel vulnerabilities, and also generate less heat for the same performance thanks to the newer processor technologies. They have substantially better multicore core performance as well.

Sent: Friday, June 18, 2021 3:59 PM

[...]

Intel is still on the 14NM  process.

This moving to a smaller die size will help with power savings. AMD is killing it right now.

I’m not sure how many apps take advantage of multi-core though?

John

They also use newer processor technology, 7 nanometer vs 14 nanometer for Intel, don't have as many hardware side channel vulnerabilities, and also generate less heat for the same performance thanks to the newer processor technologies. They have substantially better multicore core performance as well.

On 6/18/2021 4:57 PM, John Holcomb II wrote:

M.2 SSDs will be on anything but the bottom of the crop when it comes to desktops.

Same with hyper threading.

But here’s another thought to consider.

For single core performance, AMD is  worth a look. They have something similar to hyper threading which I forget what its called now.

John

 He’s right and I forgot about that.

Sent: Friday, June 18, 2021 3:59 PM

[...]

not only that, but heat generation too. My old Toshiba on dual core Haswell i5 would have fans scream even when watching youtube. But my Ryzen fifth gen is a much higher wattage part, but barely produces any heat, even under full load it isn't very bad. And more apps take advantage of multicore. Browsers for one, file encoders and compression tools, OCR software. But the number of things that take advantage will only grow as time passes. And right now fifth gen Ryzen surpasses Intel in even  in single core, and Intel is severely behind, on the desktop they backported a 10 nm  process to 14 nm, making rocket lake, dropping the number of cores on the 1900K by 2 to 8 from the 10 on the 10900K. If you read rocket lake i7 reviews, they are easily the worst processor reviews I have read ever.

Sent: Friday, June 18, 2021 3:59 PM

[...]

Gene

I have never had a problem with heat and, though I don’t discount your experience, it cannot be assumed to be representative.  My laptop, an eleven year old machine, seldom has its fan run at anything but a slow speed and that is when I do most things I do, including streaming videos from Youtube.

I have another old, by today’s standards very underpowered machine that runs XP.  I never had a heat problem and I would use it for Youtube.  I should also add that I have another old machine that runs XP and it too never had such a problem.  One person’s experience is not valid for generalization when discussing computer problems and performance.

If other people report similar experiences, I would take that into account but nothing in my experience supports your experience.

Sent: Friday, June 18, 2021 3:59 PM

[...]

Likewise, your experiences, or lack there of of heat doesn't represent everyone with older machines. It is well established that very old processors are underpowered for anything but the most basic of computing tasks, and generate tremendous amounts of heat. You would need to compare it to a brand new high powered laptop to really feel the difference.

Sent: Friday, June 18, 2021 3:59 PM

[...]

Yeah… When I bought this in 2017 AMD wasn’t in the game yet or I wouldn’t have bought this.

Do  our screen readers and Windows take advantage of multi-core processors yet I wonder?

Mine is overkill I know, but I’ll probably keep it until it becomes too slow.

Whitebox

3.75 gigahertz Intel Core i7-6950X

ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. SABERTOOTH X99 Rev 1.xx

64GB DDR4 ram.

I forget which ram I put in here.

I plan to put an M.2 SSD in here next and upgrade to I guess it’ll be Windows 11? As right now I’m on a spinning Western Digital Red on Windows 7.

This will be much better when I put an M.2 in here I’m sure!

The graphics is a Nvidia GForce 210

John

Sent: Friday, June 18, 2021 3:59 PM

[...]

I’m not sure what you are saying.  I’m saying that I had no problem with heat using old machines going back to the nineties.  And I don’t know what you mean by the most basic of computer tasks.  I used machines from the early 2000’s to browse, stream, including from Youtube, record audio, word process, and copy backups to external drives.  My laptop is about eleven years old.  Even if my apartment is warm, eighty or eighty-five degrees, I have absolutely no trouble with heat doing the things I discuss, nor do I have problems with the other much older machines I have.  My fans do not race.

I hope others enter into this conversation.  You just do not need a nine-hundred dollar machine if you are a typical computer user, though you seem, as I understand what you are saying, to be advocating that.

Gene

Sent: Friday, June 18, 2021 3:59 PM

[...]

What I meant to say is I have no problem with heat using my laptop or the much older machines I have.

Sent: Saturday, June 19, 2021 5:08 PM

Sent: Friday, June 18, 2021 3:59 PM

[...]

So several things to think about.

For those that are suggesting spending more money is better, what if the person doesn’t have it?

What if they only have a few  hundred dollars to spend now and then possibly again in a few y years or live on fixed income?

This could be a lot of people.

Maybe some of you would not buy refurb units, but if you had only $500 right now… and you wanted to get some of the specs we’re suggesting, then the only way to get it that cheap is to not buy new.

Especially true when it comes to laptops.

John

Sent: Friday, June 18, 2021 3:59 PM

[...]

Monte Single

Well John,

How does your machine use 64 gig of ddr 4 ram?

Or is it just like a big old dog,  lying there, sleeping!

Sent: Friday, June 18, 2021 3:59 PM