Topics

Deleting from Gmail "All Mail" folders

Alan Robbins

Marie,

Are your directions using the Outlook program in MS 365 or on line with Gmail? I use Outlook on my PC within MS 365 and do not find the all mail folder you mention.

Alan

-----Original Message-----
From: main@TechTalk.groups.io <main@TechTalk.groups.io> On Behalf Of Marie Nelson
Sent: Thursday, February 18, 2021 11:28 AM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] Deleting from GMail "All Mail" folders

If using Outlook, go into the all mail folder and select as many as possible at a time and just press the delete key. Then go and empty the trach folder. This is the only way I have been able to permanently delete these email copies. HTH Marie

From: main@TechTalk.groups.io <main@TechTalk.groups.io> On Behalf Of Rich DeSteno
Sent: Thursday, February 18, 2021 6:34 AM
To: TechTalk@groups.io
Subject: [TechTalk] Deleting from GMail "All Mail" folders

My Mail accounts in Thunderbird have folders entitled "All Mail" in which every email received or sent is copied. I have over 170 thousand emails in one of these folders. I have now permanently deleted all of these emails with shift-delete and they do disappear. However, all of them return when I go back into my email. How do I permanently get rid of this garbage?

--
Rich De Steno

Marie Nelson

Yes I am also using Outlook on Office 365. For some odd reason, Outlook does not always download the All Mail folder on a Gmail account. But if you just create the folder manually, then exit and restart Outlook, it should populate the folder. I found this oddity some time ago when I first began using Outlook. It worked for me, so hopefully it will for you.
Marie

From: main@TechTalk.groups.io <main@TechTalk.groups.io> On Behalf Of Alan Robbins
Sent: Saturday, February 20, 2021 5:29 AM
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] Deleting from Gmail "All Mail" folders

Marie,

Are your directions using the Outlook program in MS 365 or on line with Gmail? I use Outlook on my PC within MS 365 and do not find the all mail folder you mention.

Alan

From: main@TechTalk.groups.io <main@TechTalk.groups.io> On Behalf Of Marie Nelson

If using Outlook, go into the all mail folder and select as many as possible at a time and just press the delete key. Then go and empty the trach folder. This is the only way I have been able to permanently delete these email copies. HTH Marie

From: main@TechTalk.groups.io <main@TechTalk.groups.io> On Behalf Of Rich DeSteno

My Mail accounts in Thunderbird have folders entitled "All Mail" in which every email received or sent is copied. I have over 170 thousand emails in one of these folders. I have now permanently deleted all of these emails with shift-delete and they do disappear. However, all of them return when I go back into my email. How do I permanently get rid of this garbage?

--
Rich De Steno

Angelo Sonnesso

You first have to fine [Gmail.
Press the right arrow, and then type "A", until you hear "all Mail".

73 N2DYN Angelo

From: main@TechTalk.groups.io [mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io] On Behalf Of Alan Robbins
Sent: Saturday, February 20, 2021 8:29 AM

Marie,

Alan

--
Rich De Steno

Alan Robbins

Thanks for all the suggestions. Folder does not currently exist, I also tried creating it but it is still empty. Maybe it will populate over time and if not, no big deal.

Thanks,
Alan

From: main@TechTalk.groups.io <main@TechTalk.groups.io> On Behalf Of Angelo Sonnesso
Sent: Saturday, February 20, 2021 12:02 PM

73 N2DYN Angelo

From: main@TechTalk.groups.io [mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io] On Behalf Of Alan Robbins

Marie,

Alan

--
Rich De Steno

Mike B

Howdy Al,

I don't know if this makes a difference with the newer email clients but, in the past you needed to have Gmail set to, Basic HTML, view and not the, Standard, view for screen reading programs to work correctly.

Stay safe and take care.  Mike.

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Saturday, February 20, 2021 10:08 AM

Thanks for all the suggestions. Folder does not currently exist, I also tried creating it but it is still empty. Maybe it will populate over time and if not, no big deal.

Thanks,
Alan

From: main@TechTalk.groups.io <main@TechTalk.groups.io> On Behalf Of Angelo Sonnesso

73 N2DYN Angelo

Marie,

Alan

My Mail accounts in Thunderbird have folders entitled "All Mail" in which every email received or sent is copied.  I have over 170 thousand emails in one of these folders.  I have now permanently deleted all of these emails with shift-delete and they do disappear.  However, all of them return when I go back into my email.  How do I permanently get rid of this garbage?

--
Rich De Steno

Marie Nelson

One more idea. I have two Gmail Accounts and in one of them, there is a folder called "important" which sometimes acts as an all mail folder. I know this sounds insane but there it is! No explanation.
Marie

Thanks,
Alan

73 N2DYN Angelo

Marie,

Alan

--
Rich De Steno

Gene

Are you talking about two different things? I believe the original question is for using an e-mail program. You appear to be commenting on using the web site itself. And for quite some time, it has not been necessary to use simple HTML on the web site. I haven't used the web site much so I'm not saying it isn't easier to use the simple HTML choice on the web site but I see no reason that it should matter when using an actual e-mail program.

Gene

Sent: Saturday, February 20, 2021 12:31 PM

Howdy Al,

I don't know if this makes a difference with the newer email clients but, in the past you needed to have Gmail set to, Basic HTML, view and not the, Standard, view for screen reading programs to work correctly.

Stay safe and take care. Mike.

Thanks,
Alan

73 N2DYN Angelo

Marie,

Alan

--
Rich De Steno

Alan Robbins

I do have the important folder and never understood the purpose

Alan

Sent: Saturday, February 20, 2021 1:36 PM

One more idea. I have two Gmail Accounts and in one of them, there is a folder called "important" which sometimes acts as an all mail folder. I know this sounds insane but there it is! No explanation.
Marie

Thanks,
Alan

73 N2DYN Angelo

Marie,

Alan

If using Outlook, go into the all mail folder and select as many as possible at a time and just press the delete key. Then go and empty the trach folder.
This is the only way I have been able to permanently delete these email copies. HTH Marie

--
Rich De Steno

Mike B

My understanding from Al is he's following steps to find the All Email folder and I believe that's only found on the Gmail website.  If he's talking about the email client then it wouldn't matter and I misunderstood him.

Sent: Saturday, February 20, 2021 10:38 AM

Are you talking about two different things?  I believe the original question
is for using an e-mail program.  You appear to be commenting on using the
web site itself.  And for quite some time, it has not been necessary to use
simple HTML on the web site.  I haven't used the web site much so I'm not
saying it isn't easier to use the simple HTML choice on the web site but I
see no reason that it should matter when using an actual e-mail program.

Gene

Howdy Al,

I don't know if this makes a difference with the newer email clients but, in
the past you needed to have Gmail set to, Basic HTML, view and not the,
Standard, view for screen reading programs to work correctly.

Thanks for all the suggestions. Folder does not currently exist, I also
tried creating it but it is still empty. Maybe it will populate over time
and if not, no big deal.

Thanks,
Alan

From: main@TechTalk.groups.io <main@TechTalk.groups.io> On Behalf Of Angelo
Sonnesso

73 N2DYN Angelo

From: main@TechTalk.groups.io [mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io] On Behalf Of
Alan Robbins

Marie,

Are your directions using the Outlook program in MS 365 or on line with
Gmail? I use Outlook on my PC within MS 365 and do not find the all mail
folder you mention.

Alan

From: main@TechTalk.groups.io <main@TechTalk.groups.io> On Behalf Of Marie
Nelson

If using Outlook, go into the all mail folder and select as many as possible
at a time and just press the delete key. Then go and empty the trach folder.
This is the only way I have been able to permanently delete these email
copies. HTH Marie

From: main@TechTalk.groups.io <main@TechTalk.groups.io> On Behalf Of Rich
DeSteno

My Mail accounts in Thunderbird have folders entitled "All Mail" in which
every email received or sent is copied.  I have over 170 thousand emails in
one of these folders.  I have now permanently deleted all of these emails
with shift-delete and they do disappear.  However, all of them return when I
go back into my email.  How do I permanently get rid of this garbage?

--
Rich De Steno

Pamela Dominguez

On my computer, using windows live mail, under the inbox, there is something called all mail.  Actually, you arrow down once, and it says gmail closed.  You right arrow to open it, then you arrow down once, and it says all mail.  Pam.    

Sent: Saturday, February 20, 2021 2:17 PM

My understanding from Al is he's following steps to find the All Email folder and I believe that's only found on the Gmail website.  If he's talking about the email client then it wouldn't matter and I misunderstood him.

Gene

Howdy Al,

and if not, no big deal.

Thanks,
Alan

Sonnesso

73 N2DYN Angelo

Alan Robbins

Marie,

folder you mention.

Alan

Nelson

copies. HTH Marie

DeSteno

--
Rich De Steno

Virus-free. www.avg.com

Gene

I read a bit about the important folder awhile ago, but I don't remember what I read. It wasn't of too much interest to me. Having said that, it is important to know that if you have multiple appearances of messages in Google folders, there is actually only one copy so you don't have to worry about using exxtra space. Its just that GMail displays messages in multiple locations if you want it to.

If you delete a message that appears in multiple locations from one location, I don't know if that deletes it from others or just the code that causes it to appear in that specifric location. Discussing such matters may help people manage their GMail mail better.

Gene

Sent: Saturday, February 20, 2021 1:13 PM

I do have the important folder and never understood the purpose

Alan

Sent: Saturday, February 20, 2021 1:36 PM

Marie

Thanks,
Alan

73 N2DYN Angelo

Marie,

Alan

If using Outlook, go into the all mail folder and select as many as possible at a time and just press the delete key. Then go and empty the trach folder.
This is the only way I have been able to permanently delete these email copies. HTH Marie

--
Rich De Steno

Gene

If you are using an MSAPI account, not a POP3 account, there will be an all mail folder in your e-mail program if there is one in your GMail folders on the site. Or I should say, there should be one. I don't know why it isn't being seen by Al.

But I'll ask if you, Al, are using POP3 or MSAPI. That may provide the answer.

Gene

Sent: Saturday, February 20, 2021 1:17 PM

My understanding from Al is he's following steps to find the All Email folder and I believe that's only found on the Gmail website. If he's talking about the email client then it wouldn't matter and I misunderstood him.

Are you talking about two different things? I believe the original question
is for using an e-mail program. You appear to be commenting on using the
web site itself. And for quite some time, it has not been necessary to use
simple HTML on the web site. I haven't used the web site much so I'm not

Gene

Howdy Al,

and if not, no big deal.

Thanks,
Alan

Sonnesso

73 N2DYN Angelo

Alan Robbins

Marie,

folder you mention.

Alan

Nelson

copies. HTH Marie

DeSteno

every email received or sent is copied. I have over 170 thousand emails in
one of these folders. I have now permanently deleted all of these emails
with shift-delete and they do disappear. However, all of them return when I
go back into my email. How do I permanently get rid of this garbage?

--
Rich De Steno

Marie Nelson

I have the same thing on WLM but not the same on Outlook, which is the client being discussed.
Marie

Sent: Saturday, February 20, 2021 11:30 AM

On my computer, using windows live mail, under the inbox, there is something called all mail.  Actually, you arrow down once, and it says gmail closed.  You right arrow to open it, then you arrow down once, and it says all mail.  Pam.    

Sent: Saturday, February 20, 2021 2:17 PM

Gene

Howdy Al,

and if not, no big deal.

Thanks,
Alan

Sonnesso

73 N2DYN Angelo

Alan Robbins

Marie,

folder you mention.

Alan

Nelson

copies. HTH Marie

DeSteno

--
Rich De Steno

Virus-free. www.avg.com

Marie Nelson

He is using imap protocol with Outlook and I find the all mail folder does not appear in my Outlook running Win 10 20 H2, Jaws 21 and Office 365. It is strange since the all mail folder does appear in WLM. It is just one of those stupid problems that seem to make no sense. On the web, the all mail folder is there and in Outlook there is a folder named "important", which has the same content as the all mail folder.

Sent: Saturday, February 20, 2021 11:37 AM

If you are using an MSAPI account, not a POP3 account, there will be an all
mail folder in your e-mail program if there is one in your GMail folders on
the site. Or I should say, there should be one. I don't know why it isn't
being seen by Al.

But I'll ask if you, Al, are using POP3 or MSAPI. That may provide the
answer.

Gene

My understanding from Al is he's following steps to find the All Email
folder and I believe that's only found on the Gmail website. If he's
talking about the email client then it wouldn't matter and I misunderstood
him.

Gene

Howdy Al,

and if not, no big deal.

Thanks,
Alan

Sonnesso

73 N2DYN Angelo

Alan Robbins

Marie,

folder you mention.

Alan

Nelson

copies. HTH Marie

DeSteno

--
Rich De Steno

Alan Robbins

No POP 3, IMAP. Nevewr heard of MSAPI

Alan

From: main@TechTalk.groups.io <main@TechTalk.groups.io> On Behalf Of Gene
Sent: Saturday, February 20, 2021 2:38 PM

If you are using an MSAPI account, not a POP3 account, there will be an all mail folder in your e-mail program if there is one in your GMail folders on the site. Or I should say, there should be one. I don't know why it isn't being seen by Al.

Gene

him.

Gene

Howdy Al,

and if not, no big deal.

Thanks,
Alan

Sonnesso

73 N2DYN Angelo

Alan Robbins

Marie,

folder you mention.

Alan

Nelson

copies. HTH Marie

DeSteno

--
Rich De Steno

Gene

I meant IMAP. I got the acronym confused. MSAPI is something like Microsoft application program interface. I almost never think about that term so if I got it a little wrong, I expect someone will correct me.

Who knows why I used the wrong gterm?

Gene

Sent: Saturday, February 20, 2021 3:12 PM

Alan

Gene

him.

Gene

Howdy Al,

and if not, no big deal.

Thanks,
Alan

Sonnesso

73 N2DYN Angelo

Alan Robbins

Marie,

folder you mention.

Alan

Nelson

copies. HTH Marie

DeSteno

--
Rich De Steno

Alan Robbins

Gene,

No problem.
The all mail folder has now populated. So now I have an inbox. All mail, and an important folder. Am I supposed to empty these periodically? Typically once I handle email in my inbox, it is either saved to a folder for future use or deleted.

Alan

Sent: Saturday, February 20, 2021 4:48 PM

I meant IMAP. I got the acronym confused. MSAPI is something like Microsoft application program interface. I almost never think about that term so if I got it a little wrong, I expect someone will correct me.

Gene

Alan

Gene

My understanding from Al is he's following steps to find the All Email folder and I believe that's only found on the Gmail website. If he's talking about the email client then it wouldn't matter and I misunderstood him.

Are you talking about two different things? I believe the original question is for using an e-mail program. You appear to be commenting on using the web site itself. And for quite some time, it has not been necessary to use simple HTML on the web site. I haven't used the web site much so I'm not saying it isn't easier to use the simple HTML choice on the web site but I see no reason that it should matter when using an actual e-mail program.

Gene

Howdy Al,

and if not, no big deal.

Thanks,
Alan

Sonnesso

73 N2DYN Angelo

Alan Robbins

Marie,

folder you mention.

Alan

Nelson

copies. HTH Marie

DeSteno

--
Rich De Steno

Gene

I don't have any opinion. I don't empty them. If you run out of room in your GMail storage, messages will automatically be deleted to make way for new ones. At least I believe that is what I read. If you have concerns about having messages sitting there for years where someone such as a hacker might see them, you may want to remove them but I'm not concerned about that possibility. My mail is almost all e-mail list mail. I doubt hackers are interested in going through messages anyway. They try to hack accounts to send spam messages to people using your account such as to people in your addressbook, but they could do that anyway even if you remove messages, if you have an online addressbook.

I'm not sure that deleting messages from your e-mail program would delete them from the actual site. Others may know about that.

Gene

Sent: Saturday, February 20, 2021 6:27 PM

Gene,

No problem.
The all mail folder has now populated. So now I have an inbox. All mail, and an important folder. Am I supposed to empty these periodically? Typically once I handle email in my inbox, it is either saved to a folder for future use or deleted.

Alan

Gene

Alan

Gene

Gene

Howdy Al,

and if not, no big deal.

Thanks,
Alan

Sonnesso

73 N2DYN Angelo

Alan Robbins

Marie,

folder you mention.

Alan

Nelson

copies. HTH Marie

DeSteno

--
Rich De Steno

Alan Robbins

Gene,

Thanks.
Interesting, I looked in the all mail folder and it includes emails way back to 2002 way before I had a Gmail account. It has messages from an old road runner account. How in the world id all this info get in there?

Alan

Sent: Saturday, February 20, 2021 7:40 PM

I don't have any opinion. I don't empty them. If you run out of room in your GMail storage, messages will automatically be deleted to make way for new ones. At least I believe that is what I read. If you have concerns about having messages sitting there for years where someone such as a hacker might see them, you may want to remove them but I'm not concerned about that possibility. My mail is almost all e-mail list mail. I doubt hackers are interested in going through messages anyway. They try to hack accounts to send spam messages to people using your account such as to people in your addressbook, but they could do that anyway even if you remove messages, if you have an online addressbook.

I'm not sure that deleting messages from your e-mail program would delete them from the actual site. Others may know about that.

Gene

Gene,

No problem.

Alan

Gene

Alan

Gene

Gene

Howdy Al,

and if not, no big deal.

Thanks,
Alan

Sonnesso

73 N2DYN Angelo

Alan Robbins

Marie,

folder you mention.

Alan

Nelson

copies. HTH Marie

DeSteno

--
Rich De Steno

Gene

I don't know. If it is the all mail folder that is in your GMail account, mail from other accounts shouldn't be there.

Gene

Sent: Saturday, February 20, 2021 6:58 PM

Gene,

Thanks.
Interesting, I looked in the all mail folder and it includes emails way back to 2002 way before I had a Gmail account. It has messages from an old road runner account. How in the world id all this info get in there?

Alan

Sent: Saturday, February 20, 2021 7:40 PM

Gene

Gene,

No problem.

Alan

Gene

Alan

Gene

Gene

Howdy Al,

and if not, no big deal.

Thanks,
Alan

Sonnesso

73 N2DYN Angelo

Alan Robbins

Marie,

folder you mention.

Alan

Nelson

copies. HTH Marie

DeSteno

--
Rich De Steno