From: joanne
Sent: Tuesday, January 04, 2022 4:26 PM
Subject: [TechTalk] don't know how to find out if my windows 7 PC has a built-in microphone

I haven't needed to know this info, but I'm now trying to see if I have a microphone built in on my windows 7 PC. When I go into hardware and wound, and then manage audio devices, and then go to recording tab it shows as on option. At first it said microphone not plugged in; but when I checked all the properties page settings and looked at it again, it didn't say not plugged in. I don't see anywhere where I can do a microphone test like I can do a speaker test. Is there another way to see if I have one, or to somehow find a place to test it if I do seem to have one?

Joanne

Gene

But if you have one, it should be shown in the list of recording sources.  My external sound card has an item that says something like line-in, microphone.

Sent: Tuesday, January 04, 2022 10:41 AM

yes, select your device, then go to properties, and the second tab in there should be "listen".
check the box that should say, "listen to this device", then hit the "apply" button. you should now hear your mic if you have one, and it is selected. when you have finished, just uncheck the box, then hit the "apply" button again.
hope this helps.

Simon

I haven't needed to know this info, but I'm now trying to see if I have a microphone built in on my windows 7 PC. When I go into hardware and wound, and then manage audio devices, and then go to recording tab it shows as on option. At first it said microphone not plugged in; but when I checked all the properties page settings and looked at it again, it didn't say not plugged in. I don't see anywhere where I can do a microphone test like I can do a speaker test. Is there another way to see if I have one, or to somehow find a place to test it if I do seem to have one?

Joanne

John Holcomb II

Also, you o could just open sound recorder and try to record something and se what happens.

John