Topics

Dropbox Question About Saving Shared Files

Steve Matzura

Someone shared a file with me and I saved it. In fact, I saved it three or four times because no matter what I do, I can't find the location to which it was saved. I've even tried the standard Windows Search, and it's just not there. But if I log in to my Dropbox account, all saved copies are shown, but not the folder into which they were saved. How do I fix that, and find where my files went?

Thanks in advance.

Mike B

In what fashion was it shared?  Did they send you a download link?  Do you have a shared folder?

Take care.  Mike.  Sent from my iBarstool.
Learn a lesson from your dog.  No matter what life brings you, kick some grass over that crap and move on!

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Monday, July 20, 2020 8:26 AM
Subject: [TechTalk] Dropbox Question About Saving Shared Files

Someone shared a file with me and I saved it. In fact, I saved it three
or four times because no matter what I do, I can't find the location to
which it was saved. I've even tried the standard Windows Search, and
it's just not there. But if I log in to my Dropbox account, all saved
copies are shown, but not the folder into which they were saved. How do
I fix that, and find where my files went?

Thanks in advance.

Steve Matzura

Someone shared a file with me. I clicked the link to acces the file. One of the options was a download menu button. When I opened the menu, "Save to my Dropbox" was one of the choices, so I chose that option. Of course, I had to log in to my own Dropbox, which I successfully did. The file was saved. I know it was, because when I did it again, it saved a second copy with a numeric addition to the filename. But I can't find any of them anywhere. I suspect this may also be a Windows Search problem, probably not searching subdirectories as it should, because I can think of no other reason why this file is unfindable. If I look at recently added files on the Dropbox Website, the file is there--in fact, they all are--but nowhere am I told in what folder those files are stored. This is the problemk, long-winded version.

On 7/20/2020 12:01 PM, Mike B wrote:

In what fashion was it shared?  Did they send you a download link?  Do you have a shared folder?

Take care.  Mike.

Sam Taylor

It'll be somewhere in your Dropbox folder. I would drop to a command prompt by running cmd, then type

cd %userprofile%\dropbox

dir/s/b PartOfTheFileNameYou'reLookingFor

On 23/07/2020 8:52 am, Steve Matzura wrote:
Someone shared a file with me. I clicked the link to acces the file. One of the options was a download menu button. When I opened the menu, "Save to my Dropbox" was one of the choices, so I chose that option. Of course, I had to log in to my own Dropbox, which I successfully did. The file was saved. I know it was, because when I did it again, it saved a second copy with a numeric addition to the filename. But I can't find any of them anywhere. I suspect this may also be a Windows Search problem, probably not searching subdirectories as it should, because I can think of no other reason why this file is unfindable. If I look at recently added files on the Dropbox Website, the file is there--in fact, they all are--but nowhere am I told in what folder those files are stored. This is the problemk, long-winded version.

Take care.  Mike.

Thom Spittle

When you save files to your dropbox in this manner, they are saved to the root directory. So they are not in a folder. As you open dropbox they will be near the bottom of your list. I hope this helps you

On Jul 22, 2020, at 7:03 PM, Steve Matzura <number6@...> wrote:

In what fashion was it shared? Did they send you a download link? Do you have a shared folder?

Take care. Mike.

Gene

I suspect, though I've never looked into it, that you can save files to your Dropbox account online and the files won't be sent to your computer, Assuming you have looked in all the folders of your Dropbox account on your computer, that is my guess of what happened. I don't think I've ever seen this discussed before but that is my guess.

Gene

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Wednesday, July 22, 2020 5:52 PM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] Dropbox Question About Saving Shared Files

Someone shared a file with me. I clicked the link to acces the file. One
of the options was a download menu button. When I opened the menu, "Save
to my Dropbox" was one of the choices, so I chose that option. Of
course, I had to log in to my own Dropbox, which I successfully did. The
file was saved. I know it was, because when I did it again, it saved a
second copy with a numeric addition to the filename. But I can't find
any of them anywhere. I suspect this may also be a Windows Search
problem, probably not searching subdirectories as it should, because I
can think of no other reason why this file is unfindable. If I look at
recently added files on the Dropbox Website, the file is there--in fact,
they all are--but nowhere am I told in what folder those files are
stored. This is the problemk, long-winded version.

In what fashion was it shared? Did they send you a download link? Do you have a shared folder?

Take care. Mike.

Steve Matzura

I should have thought of that. OK, it found, but only one occurrence. Sure don't know where the others went.

On 7/22/2020 7:06 PM, Sam Taylor wrote:

It'll be somewhere in your Dropbox folder. I would drop to a command prompt by running cmd, then type

cd %userprofile%\dropbox

Take care.  Mike.

Gene

My guess was wrong in this case.. But are there ever times where it is right? If I or someone uploads a file to my web page acount, does it download automatically to my computer if it is synchronizing?

Gene

Gene

Sent: Wednesday, July 22, 2020 6:47 PM

I should have thought of that. OK, it found, but only one occurrence. Sure don't know where the others went.

On 7/22/2020 7:06 PM, Sam Taylor wrote:

cd %userprofile%\dropbox

Take care. Mike.

Steve Matzura

The Dropbox Web page says I now have three copies, but the only one I can find is the one I manually downloaded, then placed in a folder. I tried the shell directory trick, but it's not there. Where else could Dropbox think it put it? This is totally mystifying to me that I can't figure this out.

On 7/22/2020 7:36 PM, Thom Spittle wrote:
When you save files to your dropbox in this manner, they are saved to the root directory. So they are not in a folder. As you open dropbox they will be near the bottom of your list. I hope this helps you
On Jul 22, 2020, at 7:03 PM, Steve Matzura <number6@...> wrote:

Take care. Mike.

Steve Matzura

Ya know, I think ya got somethin' there, Gene. So if that's possible, what possible good would that do one? Now I have to figure out if there are other synchronization options I am either not using or not using correctly.

On 7/22/2020 7:37 PM, Gene wrote:
I suspect, though I've never looked into it, that you can save files to your Dropbox account online and the files won't be sent to your computer, Assuming you have looked in all the folders of your Dropbox account on your computer, that is my guess of what happened.  I don't think I've ever seen this discussed before but that is my guess.

Gene
-----Original Message----- From: Steve Matzura

Take care.  Mike.

Gene

I don't use Drop Box enough to discuss the matter much more. But I wonder if you could have files in your account and not on your computer if you are running low on disk space and want the files in your Drop Box account but not on your machine. If that is possible, others, I hope, will discuss it.

Gene

Sent: Wednesday, July 22, 2020 6:57 PM

Ya know, I think ya got somethin' there, Gene. So if that's possible,
what possible good would that do one? Now I have to figure out if there
are other synchronization options I am either not using or not using
correctly.

I suspect, though I've never looked into it, that you can save files to your Dropbox account online and the files won't be sent to your computer, Assuming you have looked in all the folders of your Dropbox account on your computer, that is my guess of what happened. I don't think I've ever seen this discussed before but that is my guess.

Gene

Take care. Mike.

Thom Spittle

With the newer version of Dropbox, you can choose to either have them stored in the cloud, or on your computer. To choose this focus on the file or folder and hit the application key and go down to Smart sink.

On Jul 22, 2020, at 8:04 PM, Gene <gsasner@...> wrote:

I don't use Drop Box enough to discuss the matter much more. But I wonder if you could have files in your account and not on your computer if you are running low on disk space and want the files in your Drop Box account but not on your machine. If that is possible, others, I hope, will discuss it.

Gene
Sent: Wednesday, July 22, 2020 6:57 PM

Ya know, I think ya got somethin' there, Gene. So if that's possible,
what possible good would that do one? Now I have to figure out if there
are other synchronization options I am either not using or not using
correctly.

Gene

Take care. Mike.