Topics

Easy Computer Fix, Humor

Mike B

Easy Computer Fix

I received this from a CEO that I worked with a few years back. He doesn't want to admit it but I think this is his true experience.

I was having trouble with my computer so I called Richard, the 11 year
old next door whose bedroom looks like Mission Control, and asked him
to come over.

Richard clicked a couple of buttons and solved the problem.

As he was walking away, I called after him, 'So, what was wrong?'

He replied, 'It was an ID ten T error.'

I didn't want to appear stupid, but nonetheless inquired, 'An ID ten T
error? What's that? In case I need to fix it again.'

Richard grinned. 'Haven't you ever heard of an ID ten T error before?'

'No,' I replied.

'Write it down,' he said, 'and I think you'll figure it out.’

So I wrote down: I D 1 0 T

I used to like the little sh*t

Sharon Hooley

Have you ever heard of rtsm?  Look up that one online.

Is it hard to communicate, even with hearing aids?  Visit
www.CochlearAmericas.com

On Jul 16, 2020, at 11:27 AM, Mike B <mb69mach1@...> wrote:

[...]

You could get the answer very quickly by doing a Google search.

After I found out what it means, it appears that Perhaps the youngster didn't want to tell you because the meaning isn't complimentary.

[...]

I'll add that there is a counter to such terms, which is that they don't take into account that the device may not have been designed to take into account user limitations, so the counter argument blames the designers. You'll see all this in the Wikipedia article I linked to.

Also the 10 represents the letters I and o. One looks similar to a capital I and o looks similar to capital o.

[...]

I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to please
everybody.

Mike B

This has been around but, reading the stupid manual, is usually the last resort!  LOL  LOL

How about, * PICNIC *, problem in chair not in computer, or something similar is another good one.

Sent: Thursday, July 16, 2020 11:37 AM

[...]

The interesting thing about your story is that the person corrected something. If he was right, you made an error that he corrected. Whatever he called it to be flippant, he still should have told you what he did and what you did to cause the problem so you wouldn't do it and would know how to correct it if you ever did it again, for some reason.

[...]

Carolyn Arnold

ID10T was easy, but rtsm makes no sense, and is not worth doing a web search to find out what it means.

[...]

OK, that makes sense, thanks, Mike, RTSM.

Is it hard to communicate, even with hearing aids? Visit www.CochlearAmericas.com <http://www.CochlearAmericas.com>

On Jul 16, 2020, at 11:27 AM, Mike B <mb69mach1@... <mailto:mb69mach1@...> > wrote:

[...]

Exactly, Gene. That is why I really like the last guy I talked to at Microsoft Disability. He told me what to do to take filters out of mail boxes in Outlook.

[...]

This is not an actual story!  It was a joke!  Did you miss, Humor, in the subject line?!

[...]

Gene

Just because something says humor doesn't meanit isn't true. it was written as a story, I thought a story about a bratty kid and that it really happened. the world is full of humorous true stories.

[...]

Norma A. Boge

I’m married to an I.T. dude. RTFM is his go-to. Hahaha!

[...]

Kay Malmquist

Yup, got that one.  It used to be r t f q when taking a test.  I still haven't figured out the first one though.

Kay Malmquist
kay.malmquist@...

When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.
— Lao Tzu

[...]

Jaffar Sidek

He meant it was an IDIOT error.  PC Errors are marked by an ID as in Identification, IO put together looks like the number 10, and then you include the letter T, and that spells IDIOT.  We are supposed to make of it what we will.  Cheers!

On 17/7/2020 2:37 am, Sharon Hooley wrote:
[...]

Richard

Mike,
Perhaps the issue here is "CTKI".
Chair to keyboard interface!

Rick

[...]

Howdy Kay,

RTSM = Read the Stupid Manual

I like Norma's better!  LOL

[...]

Thanks much.  I should have been able to figure that one out.  Now I feel like an idiot.  Take care.

[...]

Don't you mean an, ID ten T?!  LOL  LOL

[...]

I was thinking the same thing, Mike. And now I can mutter ID 10 T under my breath when dealing with people who make me crazy. And hope they haven’t seen the joke. 😀