Topics

edge

Kimsan

Hi,

Are we all forced to used edge now? I know, there are other browsers out there such as brave etc. I guess the better question is ie no longer working?

I ask this because on my windows 10 latest and jaws 2020 latest, when launching ie, going to a site it opens in edge.

Kimsan Song

kimsansong@...

Also, you may follow me on twitter:

https://twitter.com/kims4ns0ng

g melconian <gmelconian619@...>

That will be sunset and be removed an then most browsers will be eiteh edge,chrome, brave , epic and firefox .

Are we all forced to used edge now? I know, there are other browsers out there such as brave etc. I guess the better question is ie no longer working?

I ask this because on my windows 10 latest and jaws 2020 latest, when launching ie, going to a site it opens in edge.

Kimsan Song

kimsansong@...

Also, you may follow me on twitter:

https://twitter.com/kims4ns0ng

Gene

Are you talking about all sites or just this or that one? There was discussion a number of days ago on a list I follow, I don't remember which one, that Face Book forces Edge to open the site if you are using Internet Explorer. It doesn't force Edge to do so when using other browsers.

Its an increasingly bad idea to use Internet Explorer for general browsing. It may still work better enough with Face Book than other browsers to justify using it for that site, I don't use Facebook and I don't know. The interface has changed on the main Face Book site and it may no longer be a significant advantage.

If a site doesn't work well with another browser and does with Internet Explorer, it may be a good idea to use it for that site. But, as I said, it is increasingly a worse idea to use it for general browsing.

Are we all forced to used edge now? I know, there are other browsers out there such as brave etc. I guess the better question is ie no longer working?

I ask this because on my windows 10 latest and jaws 2020 latest, when launching ie, going to a site it opens in edge.

Kimsan Song

kimsansong@...

Also, you may follow me on twitter:

https://twitter.com/kims4ns0ng

Brian Vogel <britechguy@...>

To tell the truth, I'd be shocked if Facebook itself is forcing Edge.

In virtually all cases, though there are some very rare exceptions, opening of URLs in a browser will occur in whatever browser you have set as the default web browser in Settings, Apps, Default Apps.

Microsoft did, long ago, switch its own "out of the box" and "as a result of certain updates" setting for default browser to Edge.  I changed that to Brave on my own system.

Every once in a blue moon, though, I will have certain Microsoft webpages force a URL they open to open in Edge.

Kimsan

All I can report sir is my default browser is chrome, but when I launch ie, go to m.facebook.com it opens up in edge.

I, at times get this message: The website you were trying to reach doesn't work with Internet Explorer - Office Support.

I don’t mind chrome, I just can’t log into fb with chrome.

Kimsan Song

kimsansong@...

Also, you may follow me on twitter:

https://twitter.com/kims4ns0ng

To tell the truth, I'd be shocked if Facebook itself is forcing Edge.

In virtually all cases, though there are some very rare exceptions, opening of URLs in a browser will occur in whatever browser you have set as the default web browser in Settings, Apps, Default Apps.

Microsoft did, long ago, switch its own "out of the box" and "as a result of certain updates" setting for default browser to Edge.  I changed that to Brave on my own system.

Every once in a blue moon, though, I will have certain Microsoft webpages force a URL they open to open in Edge.

Shirley Healy

Nope, edge is now what facebook wants to open in. I cant open it in internet explorer either. It has to be edge, but it works ok in edge I've had no trouble with it.
shirley

On Wed, Oct 21, 2020 at 12:24 AM, Kimsan wrote:
All I can report sir is my default browser is chrome, but when I launch ie, go to m.facebook.com it opens up in edge.
-
My guess is that the "when I launch IE" part is what's critical.  Internet Explorer is to be generally avoided these days, and it does not surprise me that various websites (probably more than just Facebook) will open links activated in Edge rather than IE when IE is in use.  There's also the possibility that using the mobile version of the site on a computer could factor in.

You should test if this is the same if you open Facebook in Edge, or Chrome, or Firefox, or any other currently fully-supported and security compliant browser.

Kimsan

The only issue with edge and fb I have is locating certain things, for example, groups.

[...]

Yes your quite right, I havent found groups either!
I shall play around with it some more and hope I do find them!
shirley

Nope, edge is now what facebook wants to open in. I cant open it in internet explorer either. It has to be edge, but it works ok in edge I've had no trouble with it.

shirley

To tell the truth, I'd be shocked if Facebook itself is forcing Edge.

In virtually all cases, though there are some very rare exceptions, opening of URLs in a browser will occur in whatever browser you have set as the default web browser in Settings, Apps, Default Apps.

Microsoft did, long ago, switch its own "out of the box" and "as a result of certain updates" setting for default browser to Edge.  I changed that to Brave on my own system.

Every once in a blue moon, though, I will have certain Microsoft webpages force a URL they open to open in Edge.

Kimsan

When using chrome, fb doesn’t open in edge. I no longer use firefox.

[...]

If/when you locate groups, please do report back.

[...]

I don't recall which list I saw that on, but this was discussed a number of days ago and two or perhaps more people reported the same thing. And this happens even when they don't use a shortcut or the run dialog but go to the Facebook directly\ in the browser.

On Wed, Oct 21, 2020 at 02:58 AM, Kimsan wrote:
When using chrome, fb doesn’t open in edge.
-
And, right there, you have your answer.  Many, many sites will not even allow entry with IE these days.  Others, and it looks like FB is one of them, will allow entry but when any link is triggered will force the use of a more secure browser maintained to current standards.

I avoid FB like the plague, so I really can't help you there.  But FB has to work in all the major browsers, so what you're looking for but have been unable to access still has to be there somewhere.

Why You Should Dump Internet Explorer | Daniel Miessler        (Dec 2019)

The perils of using Internet Explorer as your default browser ...            (March 2019 – straight from the proverbial horse’s mouth)

Microsoft cybersecurity expert: Please, stop using Internet ...  (Feb 2019)

Microsoft security chief: IE is not a browser, so stop using ...     (Feb 2019)

Microsoft wants you to stop using Internet Explorer                    (Feb 2019)

12 reasons not to use Internet Explorer, ever | Computerworld  (June 2011 – Even more valid now)

And if you web search on “Why you should not use Internet Explorer” the list of returned results is long, and virtually unanimous in the expert (and non-expert) opinion that you should not.

Wendy Walker

For the person having trouble locating Groups, do not use the same
website you used in Internet Explorer. Type the following and you will
be able to have a similar experience as you did in IE:
mbasic.Facebook.com

You can use this in either Chrome or Edge and it works just fine.

Wendy

On Wed, Oct 21, 2020 at 02:58 AM, Kimsan wrote:

When using chrome, fb doesn’t open in edge.
-
And, right there, you have your answer.  Many, many sites will not even
allow entry with IE these days.  Others, and it looks like FB is one of
them, will allow entry but when any link is triggered will force the use of
a more secure browser maintained to current standards.

I avoid FB like the plague, so I really can't help you there.  But FB has to
work in all the major browsers, so what you're looking for but have been
unable to access still has to be there somewhere.

*Why* *You* *Should* Dump *Internet* *Explorer* | Daniel Miessler (
https://danielmiessler.com/blog/dumpie/ ) (Dec 2019)

*The perils of using Internet Explorer as your default browser ...* (
https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/windows-it-pro-blog/the-perils-of-using-internet-explorer-as-your-default-browser/ba-p/331732

https://mashable.com/article/microsoft-stop-using-internet-explorer-browser/

https://www.zdnet.com/article/microsoft-security-chief-ie-is-not-a-browser-so-stop-using-it-as-your-default/

https://www.techworm.net/2019/02/microsoft-internet-explorer.html ) (Feb

https://www.computerworld.com/article/2470270/12-reasons-not-to-use-internet-explorer--ever.html
) (June 2011 – Even more valid now)

And if you web search on “Why you should not use Internet Explorer” the list
of returned results is long, and virtually unanimous in the expert (and
non-expert) opinion that you should not.

*Always remember that computers are just glorified light bulbs - they rarely
fail in continuous use and usually go pop when turned off and on.*