Topics

electric brailler review and questions

Josh Kennedy

Hi,

I was able to get a used electric perkins brailler the kind that uses a solenoid plunger kit to allow for very light keypresses… which I sent to perkins for reconditioning or refurbishment. I got it back. Used it and for awhile it produced good consistent braille dots. Then tonight I tried writing on a slightly extra thick postcard or piece of junkmail that I wanted to use for braille paper. At first it worked fine but sometimes I would have to go over a line especially after writing some full braille cells of dots 1-2-3-4-5-6. I would get faded dots with dots 3-6 a lot of the time. So I tried writing more braille on normal braille paper, and suddenly I was getting faded dots, at random causing me to use backspace so frequently to rebraille missing characters that it was nearly impossible to write anything or use the electric perkins brailler constructively. Could I have broken it by using slightly thicker paper even though the paper went into the electric perkins brailler just fine? And no matter how fast, or how slow I write, I get faded dots at random but very very frequently. I am wondering maybe this is due to variations in electrical currents when the solenoids that operate the mechanical brailler parts are firing some may fire harder or stronger than others due to variations in electrical current? Thus causing randomly faded braille characters? I never had this happen with a standard or non-electric brailler, the kind that most people use. I thought the electric perkins brailler would be a superior product because of its very light key-pressure but now I am not sure… I also wrote to perkins about this. Maybe that is why when I was a kid back in the 80s and 90s in school, that I always got manual perkins braillers and not electric? Maybe my TVI knew that although the electric perkins braillers do have a light key press and yes you can write a bit faster with them, that they are prone to randomly faded dots due to electrical variations causing certain solenoids to fire at differing strengths causing randomly faded dots? Maybe I’m completely wrong here? I am Not sure. But maybe the standard brailler the non-electric that most people use is the better product because it does not rely on electric solenoid plungers to operate the brailler parts… What do you all think?

Josh

Sent from Mail for Windows 10