email client question

Madison Martin

Hi all,
I got to wondering, what are the differences and similarities between Outlook
and Thunderbird in terms of keystrokes, using them with Jaws etc.? I know the
big one, that Thunderbird is free and Outlook isn't. I currently use Office 365,
but I've heard people talking about Thunderbird and so I got curious. If it's
pretty similar and if there wouldn't be much of a learning curve then I might
think about trying it especially if it would solve the issue with my Outlook.com
account. Using latest versions of Jaws and Windows 10. Look forward to any info
that anyone can provide me!! Thanks
Madison

Gene

I don't recall the details about your Outlook.com account.  As I recall, you keep being signed out of it.  I have no idea if using another e-mail program would solve the problem; there's no harm in trying.

I don't use Outlook.  I can tell you that all the Windows e-mail programs I've used, Outlook Express, Windows Live mail, and Thunderbird, have the same commands for what you routinely do, control n for new message, control r for reply, control f for forward, escape to close the opened message, and there may be other common commands I haven't thought of that are the same. Getting to the addressbook  is different but you may work directly with the addressbook very little.

The programs are different in terms of how you get to the place where you set up your account  and the names of certain things and the interface where you set up your account may be somewhat different but people can tell you how to set up an account in Thunderbird or if you want, you can look around and see if you can figure it out.

Gene

On 12/22/2021 2:58 PM, Madison Martin wrote:
Hi all,
I got to wondering, what are the differences and similarities between Outlook
and Thunderbird in terms of keystrokes, using them with Jaws etc.? I know the
big one, that Thunderbird is free and Outlook isn't. I currently use Office 365,
but I've heard people talking about Thunderbird and so I got curious. If it's
pretty similar and if there wouldn't be much of a learning curve then I might
think about trying it especially if it would solve the issue with my Outlook.com
account. Using latest versions of Jaws and Windows 10. Look forward to any info
that anyone can provide me!! Thanks
Madison

Gene

I want to correct one command I said is the same in Thunderbird. Forward I want to correct one command I said is the same in Thunderbird.  I just checked and forward is control l.  But in terms of what you do regularly, as you can see, learning this or that ve3ry minor difference doesn't amount to any difficult that amounts to anything and the other commands I gave are the same.

Gene