From: main@TechTalk.groups.io <main@TechTalk.groups.io> On Behalf Of Shelly Kane
Sent: July 29, 2021 5:29 AM
To: techtalk@groups.io
Subject: [TechTalk] Email Question

Hi Group:

I have a complicated question about my email and hope someone can answer this. I tried putting my email account on my phone last night so I can start looking at it and not get on the computer all the time. So after I got it all set up, it worked great. The mail downloaded just fine and I wanted to make sure it still worked in Thunderbird because I use the computer more. It downloaded in Thunderbird just fine but here's the problem. When I went back on the phone to see if the mail was in both places, Thunderbird blocked it. My phone had no email on there. It was wiped clean. This happens also when I download mail into Thunderbird and I go to my gmail account on the web you can't see the mail on google either if it's already in Thunderbird. Do any of you know why this keeps happening and is there anything simple I can do about it? Thanks in advance for any help.

Shelly

Ron Canazzi

Hi There,

You must have your mail account set to imap for this to woork properly.  Imap will automatically leave a copy on the server of all received mail.  With pop3, all e-mail is downloaded just one time and nothing is left on the server.
I forget what mail account you have, so i can't help any more than that.

--
Signature:

Ron Canazzi

Hi Chris,

That is true, but you should probably switch to imap from pop3 to prevent the messages being downloaded over and over each time you use Thunderbird. If you leave the copies on the server using pop3, then you will keep getting them over and over using pop3.  Better to switch all accounts to imap. Imap knows when all devices using the account have downloaded the messages and then you can individually delete each message on each device.

On 7/29/2021 4:47 AM, chris judge wrote:
Hi Shelly.

It sounds like you have thunderbird set to use pop 3, and that the option to leave a copy of your mail on the server is not checked, thus when you open thunderbird it's downloading all the mail and taking it off the server.
Others might have different info. I don't know thunderbird so others will have to assist you with changing it, but I'm guessing you will have to remove your account from thunderbird and set it up as IMap.

Cheers.

Chris Judge

[...]

If using POP3 and desiring to have E-mail remain on the server, just take a
look at the Server Settings; there should be a toggle like: "LEAVE E-MAIL
ON THE SERVER". If unchecked, place a checkmark and you should be golden!

Sincerely,
Olusegun
Denver, Colorado

chris judge

Agreed. That's why I suggested she switch her account to IMap. I'd never recommend using pop 3.

[...]

For a nation to admit it has done grevous wrongs and will strive to correct them for the betterment of all is no vice; For a nation to claim it has always been great, needs no improvement and to cling to its past achievements is no virtue!

Monte Single

Good Morning All,

I do not want to confuse things, but my mail is setup on a pop 3 account.
My email server, sasktel.net leaves messages on the server for 2 weeks by default.
Last week, while doing some hardware upgrades on my win 10 computer, I started my old win 7 machine and opened outlook to make sure my mail was working.
Sure enough, there were several hundred messages that came in, even though they had already been received on my win 10 computer.
As I say, that seems to be the default on my server.

P s, I cloned and installed a new ssd drive on my win 10computer; I'm nopt noticing any great improvements in performance.

[...]

Pamela Dominguez

I like pop three, but the person who set up this computer switched me. Pam.

[...]

https://www.avg.com

Pamela Dominguez

You just would have to go into settings and uncheck the box that says "keep email messages on the server". Pam.

[...]

Hi Pam,

I will leave my email settings as they are.
I want the messages left on the server; that way, I can get them with any computer. They expire on my mail server after 2 weeks.
That's fine with me.

[...]

Shelly Kane

Thank you so much for explaining this to me.  I use a pop3 account and have for years.  Now at least I understand what's going on.  I wouldn't use my phone that much for email.  I was just looking into it.  If I don't download my mail right away onto Thunderbird, I can see it on the web or my phone.  I have no idea how to use IMap so I would rather stick with the pop3 which I know.  Thanks so much for your help.

Shelly

On 7/29/2021 7:51 AM, Ron Canazzi wrote:
[...]

John Holcomb II

Hey Shelly.
I’m not here to decide what is best for you but let me explain something to you.
If you use iMap then whatever happens server side will apply to every device you use at the same time.
Let’s say you get a message on your thunderbird and open it and read it .
Once you go to your phone, the same message will be there and it’ll be marked as read.
Let’s say you open a message on your phone, read it , then reply to it.
Your message will be marked as replied, you’re reply be put into a sent folder.
Let’s say you then go to your PC. You’ll see the same message, but it’ll be marked as replied, and you’ll see it in the sent folder, just as you would on your phone.

This applies to anything you do using email.
Deleting messages, forwarding messages, creating folders, literally anything.
See the advantage of iMap is that it doesn’t matter what device you do what on.
I used to use Pop3 some while back, but see this is exactly why IMAP exists.
For this very reason. For people who have and use multiple devices.
this way you don’t have to worry about what you open where and when.
This way you don’t have to think, hmm. Did I open the mail on my PC, is it on my phone? Where is it?
Where is the reply?:
It also just makes managing mail a lot easier.
IMAP is made for multiple device/web access.

No mattter if you do these things on your thunderbird, or your phone, or the web interface, the server will keep track of everything that is done and it’ll be mirrored across devices. I did read the thread, but not sure if anyone explains in greater detail the advantages of imap.
In case they didn’t, that’s why i wrote you here.
I’d personally a advise you switch to iMap with your mails. It’ll make life a lot easier for you, in my opinion.

Take care,
John

Sent from my iPod

On Jul 30, 2021, at 2:57 AM, Shelly Kane <shellykane323@gmail.com> wrote:

[...]

Marilyn and Don Bilderback

Well, what happens in an instance where one person has an iPhone and uses Email and the spouse only uses the computer for Emails? Would Pop or iMap--
Be the right choice? iMap
[...]

Alex Stone

Tat’s not an easy question to answer. Would they both be using the same email account, or different ones?

On 30 Jul 2021, at 20:40, Marilyn and Don Bilderback <djbilderback@cox.net> wrote:

[...]

We keep it simple and both use the same Email. No secrets after 58 years together. smile

[...]

Blaster

IMAP will be your best choice.

Here's a few examples,

Using IMAP, If you were on your iPhone connected to your mail account
and your husband was on the computer and connected to the same mail
account, each action taken by either one of you, will be reflected in
the others view.
That is to say, if you delete a message, the message will be deleted
from your husbands PC and the other way around.

Using POP3, if you were to delete a message, it would still be on your
husbands computer and the other way around.

If the server is set to deliver mail and delete any copies after the
transaction, one device, either your iPhone or your husbands computer
would have all of the new e-mail locally, and when the other person
went to check the mail it would look to be empty.

If the server keeps emails on the server after checking for new mail,
it would be possible for the server, the iPhone and the computer to
all show a different selection of e-mails depending on which ones you
saved, moved or deleted.

That could end up being a big mess, use IMAP!

HTH,
Blaster

.

wrote:

[...]

John:

No, no one explained iMap the way you just did.  I'm not tech savvy at all so I'm lucky that I can do the things I can.  The question I have is when I set up iMap, will it look my folders in Thunderbird that I have set up now?  When I open the program, I download my mail and then I hit F6 to see a list of my folders and I hit tab and then it says filter messages and then I can do my business and go down the list of messages.  Does iMap work like that or is it more involved?  My niece is sighted and usually helps me with these things.  I would eventually want my mail to come off the server so it doesn't clog my devices.  When I send a message, I hit Control Enter and then when I'm done, I hit Control S to send.  Does this work the same way for iMap?  Sorry that I have so many questions.  I just need to know that things work the same way so I don't have to start all over again.  If you could tell me how to set it up step by step, I could definitely do it. Thanks in advance.

Shelly

On 7/30/2021 6:15 AM, John Holcomb II wrote:
[...]

Like ok right now.
Do you have rules set up so that certain mail go into certain folders?

The keystrokes to send a message will remain the same no matter which protocol you use, pop3 or imap.
Because you see, the keystroke you use to send the message is one that is built into the program.
Does that make sense ?
Once you answer the question about folders, I can direct you further.
Glad to help in any way that I can!
[...]

Gene

I'm not writing this to argue about what you should do.  But because of the amount of worry about ribbons, I'll say the following to those considering what to do:

If you use JAWS virtual menus, you are making tutorials that use ribbons, and they generally do, harder or much harder to use.

For anyone considering what to do, please read the article I sent.  Ribbons do speak more But once you have looked through the ribbon, you can interrupt speech and continue to move, just as you do in general when something is telling you information you don't want to hear.  In my opinion, the advantages of using real ribbons far outweigh less speech in the JAWS virtual menus.  Also, because ribbons talk more and have a lot more items in them, you can save a lot of time going through ribbons by using fast movement commands that I discuss in my tutorial.  My point is that in some ways, menus may be more pleasant to use but once you get used to ribbons and learn short cut commands, they shouldn't be more inefficient to use enough to amount to much.

Gene

7/30/2021 5:10 PM, John Holcomb II wrote:

> Hey Shelly, Like ok right now. Do you have rules set up so that > certain mail go into certain folders? > > The keystrokes to send a message will remain the same no matter which > protocol you use, pop3 or imap. Because you see, the keystroke you > use to send the message is one that is built into the program. Does > that make sense ? Once you answer the question about folders, I can > direct you further. Glad to help in any way that I can! John > > > -----Original Message----- From: main@TechTalk.groups.io > <main@TechTalk.groups.io> On Behalf Of Shelly Kane Sent: Friday, July > 30, 2021 8:00 PM To: main@TechTalk.groups.io Subject: Re: [TechTalk] > Email Question > > John: > > > No, no one explained iMap the way you just did. I'm not tech savvy > at all so I'm lucky that I can do the things I can. The question I > have is when I set up iMap, will it look my folders in Thunderbird > that I have set up now? When I open the program, I download my mail > and then I hit F6 to see a list of my folders and I hit tab and then > it says filter messages and then I can do my business and go down the > list of messages. Does iMap work like that or is it more involved? > My niece is sighted and usually helps me with these things. I would > eventually want my mail to come off the server so it doesn't clog my > devices. When I send a message, I hit Control Enter and then when > I'm done, I hit Control S to send. Does this work the same way for > iMap? Sorry that I have so many questions. I just need to know that > things work the same way so I don't have to start all over again. If > you could tell me how to set it up step by step, I could definitely > do it. Thanks in advance. > > Shelly > > On 7/30/2021 6:15 AM, John Holcomb II wrote: >> Hey Shelly. I’m not here to decide what is best for you but let me >> explain something to you. If you use iMap then whatever happens >> server side will apply to every device you use at the same time. >> Let’s say you get a message on your thunderbird and open it and >> read it . Once you go to your phone, the same message will be >> there and it’ll be marked as read. Let’s say you open a message on >> your phone, read it , then reply to it. Your message will be marked >> as replied, you’re reply be put into a sent folder. Let’s say >> you then go to your PC. You’ll see the same message, but it’ll be >> marked as replied, and you’ll see it in the sent folder, just as >> you would on your phone. >> >> This applies to anything you do using email. Deleting messages, >> forwarding messages, creating folders, literally anything. See the >> advantage of iMap is that it doesn’t matter what device you do what >> on. I used to use Pop3 some while back, but see this is exactly >> why IMAP exists. For this very reason. For people who have and use >> multiple devices. this way you don’t have to worry about what you >> open where and when. This way you don’t have to think, hmm. Did I >> open the mail on my PC, is it on my phone? Where is it? Where is >> the reply?: It also just makes managing mail a lot easier. IMAP is >> made for multiple device/web access. >> >> No mattter if you do these things on your thunderbird, or your >> phone, or the web interface, the server will keep track of >> everything that is done and it’ll be mirrored across devices. I >> did read the thread, but not sure if anyone explains in greater >> detail the advantages of imap. In case they didn’t, that’s why i >> wrote you here. I’d personally a advise you switch to iMap with >> your mails. It’ll make life a lot easier for you, in my opinion. >> >> Take care, John >> >> >> Sent from my iPod >> >>> On Jul 30, 2021, at 2:57 AM, Shelly Kane >>> <shellykane323@...> wrote: >>> >>> Thank you so much for explaining this to me. I use a pop3 >>> account and have for years. Now at least I understand what's >>> going on. I wouldn't use my phone that much for email. I was >>> just looking into it. If I don't download my mail right away >>> onto Thunderbird, I can see it on the web or my phone. I have no >>> idea how to use IMap so I would rather stick with the pop3 which >>> I know. Thanks so much for your help. >>> >>> Shelly >>> >>>> On 7/29/2021 7:51 AM, Ron Canazzi wrote: Hi There, >>>> >>>> You must have your mail account set to imap for this to woork >>>> properly. Imap will automatically leave a copy on the server >>>> of all received mail. With pop3, all e-mail is downloaded just >>>> one time and nothing is left on the server. I forget what mail >>>> account you have, so i can't help any more than that. >>>> >>>>> On 7/29/2021 4:28 AM, Shelly Kane wrote: Hi Group: >>>>> >>>>> >>>>> I have a complicated question about my email and hope someone >>>>> can answer this. I tried putting my email account on my >>>>> phone last night so I can start looking at it and not get on >>>>> the computer all the time. So after I got it all set up, it >>>>> worked great. The mail downloaded just fine and I wanted to >>>>> make sure it still worked in Thunderbird because I use the >>>>> computer more. It downloaded in Thunderbird just fine but >>>>> here's the problem. When I went back on the phone to see if >>>>> the mail was in both places, Thunderbird blocked it. My >>>>> phone had no email on there. It was wiped clean. This >>>>> happens also when I download mail into Thunderbird and I go >>>>> to my gmail account on the web you can't see the mail on >>>>> google either if it's already in Thunderbird. Do any of you >>>>> know why this keeps happening and is there anything simple I >>>>> can do about it? Thanks in advance for any help. >>>>> >>>>> Shelly >>>>> >>>>> >>>>> >>>>> >>>>> >>>>> >>> >>> >>> >>> >> >> >> >> >> . > > > > > > > > > > >

Gene

I want to clarify that I’m not saying most programs use ribbons.  I’m saying that if you use tutorials for programs that do, they usually use real ribbons.  Windows tutorials for Windows 10 usually do as well.  Also, you are making it harder to try to use other screen-readers.