email service question

Madison Martin

Hi all,
Does anyone know of any email services (if that's even the right word for them,
sorry if it's not) that don't filter messages at all? The reason that I ask is
because I had a gmail account (I actually still have it but I don't use it
anymore) but I stopped using it because I found out how much gmail filters
messages and this annoyed me. I switched back to an account with my ISP, but now
I'm having all kinds of problems with their filtering marking messages that
aren't spam as spam which means that I don't recieve them and now I'm constantly
worrying about whether or not I'll get a message or not and also about what
messages I'm not getting because of their filtering. There are newsletters that
I've signed up for that I'm pretty sure are being marked as spam and so therefor
I'm not getting them, I've added these addresses to my safe senders' list on my
ISP's webmail preferences but this has not solved my problem. When I was
subscribed to these newsletters with my gmail address they'd come through just
fine, but I really want to have all of my emails being sent to one address, I
really don't want to have to have to be checking multiple addresses all the
time. The reason I changed addresses is because I asked my ISP and they told me
that they don't filter to the same extent that gmail does. I totally get that
they need and want to protect people from spam and such, but when you're not
receiving all emails sent to you because they're thought to be spam when they're
not then that's no good either. I've asked them and they say that they can't
turn off the filters (if I have to deal with spam then I really don't care if it
means that it prevents other emails from being marked as spam and therefor I get
them which is all I really want) and I haven't gotten any response from them
when I've asked them to look into emails that aren't spam but are being marked
as such by their filters. This is really frustrating and worrying me and I'm
really not sure what else to do so that's why I'm asking about this. If anyone
is wondering I use the latest versions of Jaws, Office 365 (as I use Outlook to
access my emails) and Windows 10 pro and I don't have any rules or filters set
up in Outlook. Really hope someone has a suggestion, as I really want to do
something about this as it's driving me nuts, please don't tell me to just
unsubscribe from the newsletters. Sorry for such a long message, any
help/suggestions will be very much appreciated!!!! Thanks
Madison

Monte Single

Hi Madison,

I live next door to you in Sask.
I choose to use sasktel as my I s p and mail server.
I had sasktel set my filters to none.
These days, the amount of truly junk mail I get is less than 1 % with no
filters.

Set your mail to no filters and see how things go. Try it for a week and
see how it is.

Cheers,

Mont

[...]

John Holcomb II

I've given my email address to many places and people and would have to
switch a lot of things to a different mail address if I went thru and did
something like this though considered it myself.
John

[...]

I assume you're talking about switching email services? If so, then I think it'd
be worth it if it meant fixing these issues.

[...]

Hi John and List,

I am not suggesting that Madison change her email address; I am suggesting
she set her email filters to none or at least a filter setting lower than
what she is currently using.
This may stop some of her mail from being diverted to her spam or junk
folder.

[...]

No Madison, do not seitch your email service, change your filter settings.

[...]

The thing is that the messages that I'm worried about don't go into my junk
folder, I don't get them at all, but I know that I'm subscribed to the
newsletters or whatever because after I entered on the subscribe button I got
messages saying thank you for subscribing or subscription successful etc. I mean
that they popped up on my screen, not that they were sent to me.

[...]

Just hope I can, I've emailed their tech support to find out. Their webmail site
isn't always the most accessible so I wasn't comfortable poking around there
myself.

[...]

Robin Frost

Hi Madison and all,

I'm not sure there's an email provider that filters nothing but I myself understand what you're saying and after swearing I'd never change email addresses again I defected from Outlook.com and signed up with Fastmail.com

It is however, a paid service if you wish to use it in an email client such as Outlook, Thunderbird or the mail app on a smart phone.

I was so pleased during my thirty day trial that I signed up for 3 years. But you can pay monthly or annually. Setting it up in an email client is very similar to doing so with something like iCloud or GMail when 2 factor authentication is in place. I.E. you have to generate an app specific pass code which is entered once and then remembered and you're in business.  You don't have to enter any settings manually as during set up most clients with which I've entered things have entered all defaults just fine that is if you're using IMAP which I am.

I have no affiliation with the company I'm just a happy user.

As for filtering I still get a few emails going to spam folder but nothing I can't easily retrieve and mark as not spam but these are usually email newsletters from places like CNet for instance. Most mail that's important to me is going where it ought.

Also like GMail you have to set up any mail rules or filters for sorting mail into subfolders on their web interface but doing so is very easy and accessible with screen readers and once done it's set it and forget it and any client through which you access mail will show your mail placed where you set it to be.

I hope that helps.

Take good, good care.

Robin

On 10/25/2021 12:35 PM, Madison Martin wrote:
[...]

How much does it cost, do you remember?

[...]

Yes.
Using a paid email service and not a free one provided by my ISP or
google.
John

[...]

With Google, have marked stuff as not spam and it doesn't care it still
continues.
John

[...]

I just found out that the spam filters for my ISP can't be modified, any other
suggestions?

[...]

Only one I got is a paid email service.
With a paid account you can talk to support too if you are having trouble,
unlike say, google.
John

[...]

heather albright

Ah, yes, I am thinking about getting a fast mail account. I was not sure how accessible it was to use with the screen readers. Thanks for posting about it. Heather

Sent from Mail for Windows

[...]

Rather than inventing the wheel I'll just send you to this link which tells you about all the plans and pricing. I hope this helps.

https://www.fastmail.com/pricing/

Take good care.

Robin

On 10/25/2021 2:22 PM, Madison Martin wrote:

[...]

Thanks for the info!!!

[...]

Mary Smith

Hi Heather, the fastmail web interface works well with NVDA.

On 2021-10-25 5:08 p.m., heather albright wrote:
[...]

Gene

Regarding GMail, I don’t know what your experience was, but mine is that in general, if something is spam, it is sent to the spam folder and I have few messages mistakenly sent there.  After telling GMail messages are not spam, over time, I got fewer messages mistakenly labeled as spam and I now get very few.

[...]

I think you wouldn’t have these problems if you used GMail.  Your problem may have nothing to do with messages being filtered as you are discussing it.  It may be that certain domains or addresses are blacklisted by your provider.

As far as GMail and spam is concerned, if you repeatedly tell GMail that new messages are not spam, GMail learns not to send such messages to spam.

You may find it much easier and less frustrating to deal with spam in this way than to get your other provider to white list domains or addresses that it black listed.