From: Steven Johnson
Sent: Friday, April 02, 2021 3:34 PM
To: techtalk@groups.io
Subject: [TechTalk] Enabling line-in in Windows 10

I have a laptop with a stereo microphone array and 2 jacks on the side; one for headphones and one apparently for line-in/external microphone. I find that the line-in option is missing from my input devices under sound settings, even after plugging in the audio source that I want to record with my computer. I googled the problem, and the instructions that I found say to right-click on speakers in the system tray or sound on the taskbar, go to sound settings and under the record tab, enable line in. I am unable to find what they are talking about. Anyone know a better method for enabling line-in on my laptop?

John Holcomb II

I have had a combination with both jacks, but that was back in the XP days
and that laptop won't go past Windows 7.
The instructions he was given worked for me when I had that option.
Now I just have a different sound card, but I'd love to have a laptop with
a LineIN jack again.

John

the problem may be that the jack is not for both, but just a microphone
jack. I haven't had a computer with such a combination. Since you can find
nothing, even when a source is connected, maybe that means the jack is just
for a microphone. You may get help from someone with such a combination,
but it may be that you will have to purchase a USB external sound card with
a line-in jack.

I have a laptop with a stereo microphone array and 2 jacks on the side; one
for headphones and one apparently for line-in/external microphone. I find
that the line-in option is missing from my input devices under sound
settings, even after plugging in the audio source that I want to record with

my computer. I googled the problem, and the instructions that I found say
to right-click on speakers in the system tray or sound on the taskbar, go to

sound settings and under the record tab, enable line in. I am unable to
find what they are talking about. Anyone know a better method for enabling
line-in on my laptop?

Steven Johnson

Thank you Gene. It would be a crying shame if the second jack on my laptop
only functions as a microphone jack, especially since this particular HP
laptop has really decent working internal mics when the computer's fan isn't
running. I'm trying to digitize a bunch of vinyl, so I probably would do
myself a favor by switching over to a better sound card.

I have a laptop with a stereo microphone array and 2 jacks on the side; one
for headphones and one apparently for line-in/external microphone. I find
that the line-in option is missing from my input devices under sound
settings, even after plugging in the audio source that I want to record with

my computer. I googled the problem, and the instructions that I found say
to right-click on speakers in the system tray or sound on the taskbar, go to

sound settings and under the record tab, enable line in. I am unable to
find what they are talking about. Anyone know a better method for enabling
line-in on my laptop?

John Holcomb II

You for sure would.
Get a sound card with RIAA levels for vinyl while you're at it.
John

I have a laptop with a stereo microphone array and 2 jacks on the side; one
for headphones and one apparently for line-in/external microphone. I find
that the line-in option is missing from my input devices under sound
settings, even after plugging in the audio source that I want to record with

my computer. I googled the problem, and the instructions that I found say
to right-click on speakers in the system tray or sound on the taskbar, go to

sound settings and under the record tab, enable line in. I am unable to
find what they are talking about. Anyone know a better method for enabling
line-in on my laptop?

Gene

I don't know if it would matter or matter much.

Here is a link to a Youtube video. I don't know if it will help.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c7i6LJs3b6E

I have a laptop with a stereo microphone array and 2 jacks on the side; one
for headphones and one apparently for line-in/external microphone. I find
that the line-in option is missing from my input devices under sound
settings, even after plugging in the audio source that I want to record with

my computer. I googled the problem, and the instructions that I found say
to right-click on speakers in the system tray or sound on the taskbar, go to

sound settings and under the record tab, enable line in. I am unable to
find what they are talking about. Anyone know a better method for enabling
line-in on my laptop?

Gene

I wouldn't assume that is needed or proper. it sounds as though you are talking about a sound card with its own preamp that connects directly to the turntable. If you are connecting the sound card to a stereo using the line out connectors or connecting the soundcard to a preamp and the turntable is already connected to the preamp, the sound is already properly equalized.

Get a sound card with RIAA levels for vinyl while you're at it.
John

I have a laptop with a stereo microphone array and 2 jacks on the side; one
for headphones and one apparently for line-in/external microphone. I find
that the line-in option is missing from my input devices under sound
settings, even after plugging in the audio source that I want to record with

my computer. I googled the problem, and the instructions that I found say
to right-click on speakers in the system tray or sound on the taskbar, go to

sound settings and under the record tab, enable line in. I am unable to
find what they are talking about. Anyone know a better method for enabling
line-in on my laptop?

John Holcomb II

Yeah but if you want the cleanest signal, then your best bet is to go
direct from table to card without other things in the middle.
John

Get a sound card with RIAA levels for vinyl while you're at it.
John

I have a laptop with a stereo microphone array and 2 jacks on the side; one
for headphones and one apparently for line-in/external microphone. I find
that the line-in option is missing from my input devices under sound
settings, even after plugging in the audio source that I want to record with

my computer. I googled the problem, and the instructions that I found say
to right-click on speakers in the system tray or sound on the taskbar, go to

sound settings and under the record tab, enable line in. I am unable to
find what they are talking about. Anyone know a better method for enabling
line-in on my laptop?

Gene

That may be and maybe if someone has really good audiofile equipment, it may matter but it wouldn't for most people.

[...]

For me I say do it once and do it right the first time.
Plus ware and tear on records as you play them more, etc etc.
John

[...]

The right way varies from person to person. I know good sound but I'm not concerned with whether I have the best possible sound. I used my receiver and recorded using a good sound card and a turntable with a good low density tone arm. I don't intend to rerecord anything. I am satisfied with the sound I have, which is good, not the best possible sound.

There is no right way. it depends on what the person wants and expects. I am very skeptical that any meaningful difference is obtained by connecting directly to a sound card than by using the preamp of a good stereo and the line-in of a sound card.

[...]

In the end as long as you're happy that's all that matters.
Just hope that preamp out is a flat output.
John

[...]

It appears to me that most people who aren't fanatical audiofiles but know good sound record from a preamp output. that is not to disparage fanatical audiofiles. Different people really care about different things. The phono preamp on my receiver is highly rated for its phono preamp output. Others may wish to comment on this, but I would think phono preamp outputs are in general flat or within whatever tolerance is expected.

I saw an interesting post in a forum today when I was looking up information on the question and it says that you can remove pops and clicks more accurately if you do so before applying the RIAA curve.
https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=73005.0
I don't know if that is true and I don't have the technical knowledge to comment on that.

As you will see from the forum discussion, you can make this enormously complicated for what I consider very questionable improvements in quality. Every improvement you make beyond a certain point yields increasingly less benefit. and recordds have a problem. The high end becomes less as you get closer to the end of a side and it is noticeable close to the end. Also, in my experience, near the end of a side, the sound sounds more compressed, though I don't know if that is the correct term or the technically proper description. I can say, however, that if you listen to the last few minutes of a record and then immediately play the beginning, a dramatic difference is heard.

Given that records are, in my opinion, idealized, is it really worth all the time and trouble some people lavish on digitizing them? . I wouldn't dispute the importance of a good cartridge and tone arm for those concerned with good sound. And a lossless format would be important to many people who care about really good sound. But as I said, I think that the diminishing returns of improvements makes it very questionable whether they are worth making beyond a certain point.

[...]

Howard Traxler

Back in the day, the magnetic cartrage was the thing; whether it be moving magnet or moving coil.  This cartrage required an additional stage of pre-amplification.  Feeding it directly into a sound card (to my knowledge) just wouldn't work.  Hence I have a discrete pre-amp for between the turntable and sound card; or my stereo receiver has a magnetic cartrage input that does the same thing.

Back in the day, I was very critical of the sound that was produced; however, at my age, my hearing is not what it was andmost of my music listening is for background.  So, sound doesn't need to be as good as 40 years ago.

Howard