Exactly what really does happen if I reset Windows10 on a new Dell laptop?

James Bentley

Hi Group,

I would have to write a book to explain all that I have gone through with my 6 day old Dell Inspiron11 laptop loaded from Dell with Windows10.  So I will try for the condensed version.

I fell in love with the laptop at first touch but, the sound was terrible.  Loads of distortion and the volume continually changed itself all by it self.  So, I rolled the RealTek drivers back to the prior version and the laptop sounded 100% perfect.

Then, Microsoft updates gave me the newest and latest driver update for the onboard RealTek sound which just happened to be the bad drivers that I had just removed.  Suddenly, the sound was all messed up again.

My next attempt to roll back the drivers failed several times. Then, I got MS to do a remote in on the laptop and they install the same older drivers that made the machine sound perfect again.

Carlos told me how to prevent MS from changing my drivers with future Windows updates.  And, I did that.  So, I spent around 12 hours getting every thing installed on the laptop.

The next day, the sound was back to the same as the day before.  It turns out that Dell also sends out driver updates and this time, it was Dell who messed me over. <groan?

I ain’t all that great with even using some features on my computer much less being able to repair it when something goes wrong.  And, I have news for both Dell and Microsoft, I can break my computer just fine with out any assistance from them.

Since I had reasons to suspect corrupted files for other reasons that I won’t go in to right now, , I got Dell tech support to remote in and do a Windows reset.  I was informed by Dell tech support that the laptop would be in the exact same state as it was the moment that I took it out of the box for the first time.  I figured I could keep it off line long enough to set up Jaws, and change the settings to stop Dell and MS from helping themselves with making my computer work better.

But, after the reset that Dell claimed to do, I still had some files that I put on the computer.  I still had my log on password, the Jaws authorization key, along with other things including the stupid RealTek drivers that sound so bad.  I wonder if the Dell tech support person did an actual reset or maybe just a refresh.

So I went in to Windows and looked at the reset setting because I was considering doing my own reset. And it said that the reset action was the recommended  action for user’s to preform before recycling their computers.  This causes me to wonder exactly what the Win10 reset function really does.

Now here’s my point.  I want one of two things.  Either the computer to go back to the exact same state it was in when I booted it up the first time.  Or, I would be completely happy with a clean Win10 install with none of the original Dell software.

So, if I am not the first person that Carlos has to kick off of his new list for boring you all to death,  is there any one who can really really, tell me exactly what I will get if I reset
Win10 myself?

So sorry for what still turned out to be a book,

James

Carlos

Resetting is basically like reinstalling Windows.  Only software which may have been included by the manufacturer is restored.  All settings and other applications will be removed.

[...]

Awe, so nice to hear your voice again.  Has any one ever told you that you sound a lot like Jaws.

But seriously, I am going to try the reset right now.

Thanks for your assistance,

James

[...]

I have been told that occasionally yes.

[...]

Joseph Lee <joseph.lee22590@...>

Hi,

It’s more than that: it you do choose to wipe your hard drive, everything (including OEM software) will be removed (I had to do this on my Toshiba laptop a few days ago).

Cheers,

Joseph

[...]

Marie <magpie.mn@...>

Funny, but sometimes you have different accents or even a female voice!!
Marie

[...]

If I remember correctly though it does specifically depend on the options you choose.

[...]

This article describes the options for the "Reset" feature in Windows 10.  Sorry, I don't currently have 10 installed so I wasn't able to provide this information first hand.
Specifically where it says,

 Resetting lets you choose whether to keep your files or remove them, and then reinstalls Windows. To get started, go to Settings > Update & security >
Reset this PC > Get started and choose an option.

Option
What it does

Keep my files

This reinstalls Windows 10, but keeps your personal files and any apps that came with your PC. It removes:

Changes you made to settings

Apps and drivers you installed

Remove everything

This reinstalls Windows 10 and any apps that came with your PC. It removes:

Personal files

Changes you made to settings

Apps and drivers you installed

If you're planning to donate, recycle, or sell your PC, use this option and choose to fully clean the drive. This might take an hour or two, but it makes it harder for other people to recover files you've removed.

Restore factory settings

This reinstalls the version of Windows that came on your PC and any apps that came with it. It removes:

Personal files

Changes you made to settings

Apps and drivers you installed

 This option isn't available on all PCs.
Note
•   If you reset your PC within a month of your upgrade to Windows 10, the option in Settings that lets you go back to your previous version of Windows
will no longer be available.

James Bentley

My Dell laptop just rebooted.  I think it may have rebooted two or three times.  It took over one hour to finish.

This time, it appears to have done exactly what I was hoping it would do.

All of the Windows sounds are default now and I don’t see any signs of my old files or settings or Apps.

Windows is working with Narrator just fine.  I landed at the windows set up screen where I was able to set up my log in password, country, local account name, password, and password hint. Next, I landed on the desktop.

Oh, I also did get the option to set up my internet but I skipped that step so I can go in to Windows later this afternoon and tell Windows and Dell to not give me any automatic driver downloads.  Its kind of neat.  My Router and around a dozen others were in a list just waiting for me to hit enter on the right one.

By the way, I was able to go to a thumb drive where I have Jaws.  I will do that next...after I grab some sleep.

The main point for me is just that it does appear as though a blind individual can do a reset, and then set up a new commercially available system with out sighted assistance.  That’s what I really wanted.

I am not certain yet as to whether I have all of the Dell software on the system or if I only have Windows stuff but it won’t matter too much to me either way.  I’m guessing that it is my original system the way that it came to me from Dell.

I need to get some sleep so I will report back to the list later this afternoon in case some one is following this thread but here is a very very, important thing that I need to say right now.

When I clicked on reset, I got two options.  One said some thing like delete all files.  That is the selection that I chose.  It does appear that I now have a fresh Win10 install.

The other option that I was given after clicking on the reset button was to clean all drives.  This setting appears to wipe all drives.  I am assuming that the C (primary) drive and the D (restoration) drive get wiped.  Someone wanting Windows to come back up with Narrator would certainly want to avoid cleaning all drives unless they have a way to install another copy of Windows.  So, be careful which button you select or you will get stuck with a completely cleaned nonfunctioning drive.

Carlos, I sure am glad that I didn’t fire you!

James

[...]

Indeed, I would be interested to know if your Dell/OEM included software was restored as well.

[...]

Hi Carlos and list,

After hours of digging through settings with Narrator and a messed up installation of Jaws, I haven’t accomplished much.  Here’s what I do have:

I seem to have a clean install of Windows.
For right now, I don’t think that I got any Dell software with the reset.  I'm just having trouble going through unfamiliar menus with Narrator and broken Jaws.

I was able to turn off Windows driver updates as well as software updates, all in windows.  I got the touch pad turned off and installed Jaws from a thumb drive.  But, Jaws doesn’t work right.

Jaws says that there was a problem with installing the mirror drivers and that I need to first try a reboot.  I did and Jaws still isn’t working right.  Jaws said to try doing a Jaws repair.

I do not know how to do a Jaws repair and, don’t you have to be on line to do that?  That was another thing that I could not find while digging through menus with Narrator or Jaws.

So, can any one tell me first, how to get on line with Win10?  Next, Can any one give me step by step directions on doing a Jaws repair?

So many thanks,

James

[...]

Hi James,
You do not have to be online to perform a JAWS repair.

From the JAWS help file:

1. Press WINDOWS Key+R.
2. Choose the Browse button.
3. Navigate to folder where the JAWS setup package is located.
4. Select the setup package file and press ENTER.
5. Press END and then press the SPACEBAR.
6. Type /Type repair and press ENTER.

As for getting online in general, is this a desktop or a laptop?  If it is a desktop using a wired connection, then usually Windows will automatically setup your internet connection if it can find drivers for your network adapter.  If it is a laptop using a wireless connection, even if Windows can find drivers for the network adapter, you will still have to setup your wireless connection.

[...]

Sorry, you mentioned turning off the touch pad so I'm assuming it is a laptop.

[...]

And not that I'm trying to complicate your life, but if the OEM software was not restored when you reset Windows, then drivers for your network adapter may or may not have been found in the Windows database.

[...]

I am not having any luck following your directions for doing a Jaws repair.  Maybe I should let it rest for tonight.

As far as installing drivers  I assume that I need to go in to device manager and attempt to install drivers for my laptops network card?

I'll start back with it later if not tomorrow.

Many thanks;James Bentley<bentleyj1952@...>;

[...]

I'm sorry that you're having problems with the repair instructions.  I really can't think of any way to further clarify even if I had written them myself.

If drivers were found in the Windows database for your network adapter, then they would already be installed.  If they were not installed, it is because Windows could not find compatible drivers in it's database and you will have to download them from the manufacturer's website.