excluding mail

Nancy Hill

I am using a recent version of Thunderbird along with win10 and jaws.

I have starting receiving all kinds of emails that have a.address in common.  The end of each of these is .monster

Is there a way to keep messages ending in .monster to automatically divert to trash or where everr it needs to go to keep from cluttering my in box?

Your help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

nancy

Gene

You can create a message rule to send all messages ending in monster to the deleted messages folder or Trash folder, as Thunderbird calls it.  I'd have to create a message rule to see just how you do it in Thunderbird.  It is likely someone already has a description of how to do this they have gotten that is already written out.  If you don't get a description, I'll set up a rule and tell you how to do it.

Gene

On 1/21/2022 10:23 PM, Nancy Hill wrote:
I am using a recent version of Thunderbird along with win10 and jaws.

I have starting receiving all kinds of emails that have a.address in common.  The end of each of these is .monster

Is there a way to keep messages ending in .monster to automatically divert to trash or where everr it needs to go to keep from cluttering my in box?

Your help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

nancy

Nancy, I hesitate to share much info 'cause I don't have Thunderbird
deployed over here. But, if it is similar to Outlook, you can simply SEND
THE MONSTER thingie to Junk Mail and that should take care of it. To do so,
focus on the offending message, but DO NOT OPEN it.

Press the Applications Key, then letter "J" for Junk mail and the first
landing areads: "ADD SENDER TO JUNK MAIL?" Whack <enter> and it's gone for
good never to surface again.

Ok, I did a Google search and found the following info which I hope will
help you at the following URL:

https://ithelp.illinoisstate.edu/knowledge/757-using-junk-mail-controls-in-t
hunderbird-to-filter-spam-email

Much thanks and all the very best.

Sincerely,
Olusegun
Denver, Colorado

Monte Single

Hi Olusegun,
I am using outlook 2016 on this machine. The volume of junk mail I have
received in the last month or 2 has increased dramaticly.
Yes, I select the message, press j for junk, and press enter twice.
The next day, I still getting junk mail from the usual offenders; Costco,
Walmart, amazon, 20 seconds to no pain, penis power, keto, on and on.
Do these guys keep changing their name/address.

Nancy, I hesitate to share much info 'cause I don't have Thunderbird
deployed over here. But, if it is similar to Outlook, you can simply SEND
THE MONSTER thingie to Junk Mail and that should take care of it. To do so,
focus on the offending message, but DO NOT OPEN it.

Press the Applications Key, then letter "J" for Junk mail and the first
landing areads: "ADD SENDER TO JUNK MAIL?" Whack <enter> and it's gone for
good never to surface again.

Ok, I did a Google search and found the following info which I hope will
help you at the following URL:

https://ithelp.illinoisstate.edu/knowledge/757-using-junk-mail-controls-in-t
hunderbird-to-filter-spam-email

Much thanks and all the very best.

Sincerely,
Olusegun
Denver, Colorado

Gene

To mark something as junk, forget about clicking the dot to the left of the date column.  You might be able to do it with a mouse, but the keyboard way to do this is to be on the message in the list.

Open the context menu.

Move to mark, its a submenu.

Open it and find junk.

Press enter.

The menus will close and the message will be marked.

Gene

On 1/22/2022 2:30 AM, Olusegun -- Victory Associates LTD, Inc. wrote:
Nancy, I hesitate to share much info 'cause I don't have Thunderbird
deployed over here. But, if it is similar to Outlook, you can simply SEND
THE MONSTER thingie to Junk Mail and that should take care of it. To do so,
focus on the offending message, but DO NOT OPEN it.

Press the Applications Key, then letter "J" for Junk mail and the first
landing areads: "ADD SENDER TO JUNK MAIL?" Whack <enter> and it's gone for
good never to surface again.

Ok, I did a Google search and found the following info which I hope will
help you at the following URL:

https://ithelp.illinoisstate.edu/knowledge/757-using-junk-mail-controls-in-t
hunderbird-to-filter-spam-email

Much thanks and all the very best.

Sincerely,
Olusegun
Denver, Colorado

.

Gene

Here are instructions for making filters, what are also called message rules.  While you may want to try the marking message method, my guess is that it will take time for the program to learn that these messages should be consistently considered spam and you will have to deal with some, perhaps many of these messages as the program learns.  You may therefore want to deal with the problem and have it done with by creating a message rule since the messages usually have the word monster in them.

Main steps start on new lines.

In the tools menu, press enter on message filters.
Tab to the new button and press the space bar.
Press enter to open the new menu.
Down arrow once to new and press enter.
You are now in a dialog.  You may hear extraneous speech but you are in the name field.  Type the name you want to give the rule such as Monster or Move Monster.
Tab through the fields until you get to a combo box that says subject.  You will get to a field that says subject and other things first but disregard it.  Listen carefully for combo box.
If you are going to make a rule based on what is in the subject line, leave it as it is.  If you want to make a rule for another field, open the combo box with alt down arrow.
In your case, it may be the from line.  Down arrow to from.
Whether you use the subject line or the from line, tab to an edit field where you write what the rule is to look for.
In this case, it sounds as though you want it to look for monster.
After you write monster, continue to tab.
Ignore the create new rule button.
When you get to the choose folder combo box, open it with alt down arrow.
Up or down arrow to your account name.
Press enter.
Find your folder in the list.
Once you find it press enter.
Tab to and activate the OK button.  The rule has been made.  You will be back in the original dialog.  Close it with escape.

Gene

On 1/21/2022 10:36 PM, Gene wrote:
[...]

Colonel Monte, it's possible they do. Sometimes, I have to SEND CERTAIN
ADDRESSES to the JUNK PILE IN THE SKY more than once. At other times, I
BLOCK THEIR DOMAINS. Using both methods have helped me greatly in reducing
junk mail.

That said, I'm still AN ANCIENT WINGLESS BIRD; I still run Outlook2007 and
having fun with it.

Sincerely,
Olusegun
Denver, Colorado

Carolyn Arnold

In Outlook to send mail to Junk:

Highlight the unwanted mail.
2. Press Application Key or Highlight Key+S.
3. Press J for Junk.
4. Press Enter.

There you have it for Outlook.

Nancy, I hesitate to share much info 'cause I don't have
Thunderbird deployed over here. But, if it is similar to
Outlook, you can simply SEND THE MONSTER thingie to Junk
Mail and that should take care of it. To do so, focus on
the offending message, but DO NOT OPEN it.

Press the Applications Key, then letter "J" for Junk mail
and the first landing areads: "ADD SENDER TO JUNK MAIL?"
Whack <enter> and it's gone for good never to surface again.

Ok, I did a Google search and found the following info which
I hope will help you at the following URL:

https://ithelp.illinoisstate.edu/knowledge/757-using-junk-ma
il-controls-in-t
hunderbird-to-filter-spam-email

Much thanks and all the very best.

Sincerely,
Olusegun
Denver, Colorado

Gene

What are you referring to by highlight key?  There is no such key.  Do you mean open the context menu then type s or open a ribbon and type s or something else?

Gene

On 1/22/2022 12:30 PM, Carolyn Arnold wrote:
[...]

Sharon S

Hi, the only problem with sending these messages to junk is you need to go
to your junk folder every so often and empty it out. Where if you set a rule
to move it to the trash you won't have to deal with it again and you will
get rid of the messages next time you empty your trash. You also have to
watch your junk folder, you shouldn't just highlight all the messages and
delete them because sometimes messages you need get in there. This is why a
rule works better then sending it to junk.

Hope this helps.
From Shaz.
Canberra, Australia.