From: Nancy Hill
Sent: Tuesday, November 23, 2021 6:48 PM
Subject: [TechTalk] External Drive antics

I have several My Passport external hard drives. One of them has
started refusing transfers. Does that mean that my passport is full and
I should ask for another few My Passports for Christmas?

Thanks for your help.

nancy

nancy

Nancy Hill

Thanks, Mike...but how do I check the properties?

nancy

On 11/23/2021 10:12 PM, Mike B. wrote:

Check the properties of the drive to see the size, space used and free space.

Stay safe & take care.  Mike.

I have several My Passport external hard drives. One of them has
started refusing transfers. Does that mean that my passport is full and
I should ask for another few My Passports for Christmas?

Thanks for your help.

nancy

nancy

Mike B. <mb69mach1@...>

You obviously know which drive is giving you the problem, so with the drive plugged in go to File or Windows Explorer and highlight / select the drive, but, do not open it, just highlight / select it.

Now to access the properties you can press, Alt + Enter, or you can open the context menu with the applications key or shift + F10.  Either way takes you to the drives properties.

Now route the Jaws cursor to the PC cursor by pressing the, Insert / Jaws key + Numpad minus key.  Note sometimes this doesn't work on the first try, so just press escape to close, open properties again, invoke the keystroke again and give it a few seconds to populate.

Now down arrow and you should hear things like Data, Type-local disk, file system ... , used space, listen carefully right because you'll hear a long number then Jaws will report the amount of space that's used something like 521 GB after thaat long number.

Down arrow 1 more time to, Free space, again a long number then Jaws will report the amount of unused space, something like 402GB... after the long number.

Down arrow 1 more time to, Capacity, you'll hear a long number then Jaws will report the total capacity of this particular drive, for example if it's a 1 TB drive Jaws might say, 937GB, after the long number.

Now if you can find this information and use Jaws speech history to copy and paste rather than trying to remember it all that would be cool, but the important numbers to make note of are the numbers of GB.  Be absolutely sure of these numbers and write back with them.

Here's a note:  drives usually require a minimum of I think 15% of the total capacity to be free so they can their disk cleanup / defragmentation / trimming, so if your total capacity is 937GB, so you need at least 141GB of free space for the cleaning purposes.

If your ears are spinning out of control listening to all this crap contact me off list and we can Tandem  to get an idea of if you need a new drive or not, but only for capacity reasons.

Stay safe & take care.  Mike.

I have several My Passport external hard drives. One of them has
started refusing transfers. Does that mean that my passport is full and
I should ask for another few My Passports for Christmas?

Thanks for your help.

nancy

nancy

Mike B. <mb69mach1@...>

Sorry Nancy,

I didn't state that if you want to access the properties from the context menu, after you open the context menu up arrow to, Properties, and press enter.

Okay as far as I can tell this was my only mistake in the steps, good luck.

Stay safe & take care.  Mike.