External keyboard for use on smartphone question

Keith S

Hi folks, the android newbie idiot here. Have a question about external keyboards when used with a android phone.

I know that bluetooth keyboards can be used with smartphones and I also know that spespecial cables can be plugged into the charging port of the phone that can have a USB keyboard plugged into it.

Now, my issue is this folks: there are 2 types of keys on keyboards. The flat type that if you lay your hand on the keyboard, all the keys are level with each other and it feels like you are laying your hand on a tile floor. Just the "cracks" between each key is a simple slit on the keyboard. Okay, that is keyboard type 1. The second, which I am more used to as I am 48 years old and worked on keyboards that were used on windows 95 running desktops. these keys have a larger space between each key or at least it feels like the keys are farther apart, infact the keys taper a bit when they go up. This is the type of keyboard I am looking for. My wife said that she could not locate a bluetooth keyboard for me for this past Christmas with the tapered keys on it. I do not care if I get a blue tooth keyboard with this type of key structure or if I have to purchase the cable converter

to allow a USB keyboard to connect with a micro usb socket in the phone.

I do have a USB keyboard with the taper topped keys I use with my laptop, but I am not sure if an external keyboard needs to be specifically built/created/programmed for use on a smart phone.

I have not purchased the converter cable from amazon that I was given information for yet, as I wish to know if I can use the keyboard I already have.

My wife did a bit of online hunting prior to Christma 2021 and she said that bluetooth or USB corded keyboards that she did find with the tapered key tops (which she referred to as "mechanical" keys ran between $30 and 180. The keyboard I am using right now, cost me $18.99 at Walmart 3 years ago.

Just looking for some info, not complaining on anything, even though it sounds like it.

Apologese to all,

Keith (the clueless blind tech guy, formerly a high functioning tech guy with sight)

Brian Tew

So you want to use your usb keyboard with your phone I think, but what kind of phone--android or ios?

Keith S

Android/Samsung phone

was told by one chap to get a

usb otg cable

gave me a link to amazon with the details if you wish to check it out:

https://www.amazon.ca/UGREEN-Adapter-Samsung-MacBook-Microsoft/dp/B072V9CNTK/ref=sr_1_5?crid=ZHW8FN5E8L8A&keywords=usb+otg&qid=1650030208&sprefix=usb+otg%2Caps%2C340&sr=8-5;

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Monday, April 18, 2022 7:48 AM
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] External keyboard for use on smartphone question

So you want to use your usb keyboard with your phone I think, but what kind of phone--android or ios?

Brian Tew

I only have an ipad. If you get an otg cable at Wally and it does not work you can take it back. save that receipt.

Olusegun -- Victory Associates LTD, Inc.

Hello Keith S.:

Sorry I'm joining the chorus a tad late. See why I won't MAKE THE CHOIR
list?

If you already have the keyboard that you like, unless it's absolutely
necessary to do so, you DO NOT HAVE to purchase another one. What you'll
need is a USB TypeC male-to-female adaptor. You connect the TypeC male end
to your toy's charger port, then plug in your USB keyboard into the female
end and begin typing away.

Since you're schlepping around an Android toy, there are quite a number of
commands you can issue using your keyboard this way. As is the case with
Windows, press Ctrl+A to Select All, Ctrl+C to Copy to the Clipboard, Ctrl+V
to paste wherever.

If I can help you with respect to questions relating to Android and the use
of a computer keyboard, please DO NOT HESITATE to contact me privately or
post in this space.

In closing, your signature line did make me laugh in a giddy fashion. If
you are CLUELESS, I am CLUE LESS LESS!! Ok brother, take care, all the very
best!!

Sincerely,
Olusegun
At the Village Square, Colorado

Hi there, I am Android, the THINKING PERSON'S OS!!