Topics

Facebook question

Madison Martin

Hi all,
I was able to add this email address to my profile on Facebook, but
notifications are still going to my old email. How do I change it so that they
get sent to this address? I saw that there's a link to remove this address from
my profile, but there didn't seem to be one to remove my old email address. I'm
using mbasic.facebook.com, the latest Edge, the latest Jaws 2021, and Windows 10
version 2004. Thanks Madison

Janet

Hi Madison,
Well, I see no one has answered you yet. I'm not familiar with Facebook either, but have you tried to unsubscribe using your old email, and resubscribing with your new email? Just a thought.

Janet

-----Original Message-----
From: main@TechTalk.groups.io [mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io] On Behalf Of Madison Martin
Sent: Friday, January 29, 2021 11:43 AM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io
Subject: [TechTalk] Facebook question

Hi all,
using mbasic.facebook.com, the latest Edge, the latest Jaws 2021, and Windows 10

Keith S

I've had a similar problem with removing my facebook's log in email.  I have added a new email address that is the one I use for regular email to my account, but I cannot get facebook to switch the new email as my log in email.  I've chekced the help section on facebook but the steps do not seem to work, at least for a blind person.  Something about "when the menu opens select master email check box" .  Apparrently it's a virtual menu that jaws users cannot access.

Keith

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Saturday, January 30, 2021 9:08 PM
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] Facebook question

Hi Madison,
Well, I see no one has answered you yet.  I'm not familiar with Facebook either, but have you tried to unsubscribe using your old email, and resubscribing with your new email? Just a thought.

Janet  

From: main@TechTalk.groups.io [mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io] On Behalf Of Madison Martin

Hi all,

Janet

Hi Keith,

I just wonder if completely unsubscribing with the old email, and resubscribing with the new email address, if that might make a difference.  I don’t use FaceBook though. 

Janet

From: main@TechTalk.groups.io [mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io] On Behalf Of Keith S
Sent: Sunday, January 31, 2021 12:30 PM

I've had a similar problem with removing my facebook's log in email.  I have added a new email address that is the one I use for regular email to my account, but I cannot get facebook to switch the new email as my log in email.  I've chekced the help section on facebook but the steps do not seem to work, at least for a blind person.  Something about "when the menu opens select master email check box" .  Apparrently it's a virtual menu that jaws users cannot access.

Keith

Hi Madison,
Well, I see no one has answered you yet.  I'm not familiar with Facebook either, but have you tried to unsubscribe using your old email, and resubscribing with your new email? Just a thought.

Janet  

Hi all,

Keith S

so are you thinking I should just delete my current account and make a new one with my new email?

Keith

Sent: Sunday, January 31, 2021 7:19 PM

Hi Keith,

I just wonder if completely unsubscribing with the old email, and resubscribing with the new email address, if that might make a difference.  I don’t use FaceBook though. 

Janet

From: main@TechTalk.groups.io [mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io] On Behalf Of Keith S

Keith

Hi Madison,

Janet  

Hi all,

Janet

Hi Keith,

If you have tried all you can do to add your new email, and nothing has workd for you, Yes, I would definitely consider just deleting the old account, and subscribe with your email address you want to use.  I remember some time ago, Madison had a similar problem with Facebook, but I don’t know if it has been rectified.  So, yes, it is something to consider.    

Janet  

Sent: Tuesday, February 02, 2021 9:59 AM

so are you thinking I should just delete my current account and make a new one with my new email?

Keith

Hi Keith,

Janet

Keith

Hi Madison,

Janet  

Hi all,

Madison Martin

No it hasn’t. I don’t really want to delete my whole account.

From: main@TechTalk.groups.io <main@TechTalk.groups.io> On Behalf Of Janet
Sent: February 2, 2021 2:57 PM

Hi Keith,

If you have tried all you can do to add your new email, and nothing has workd for you, Yes, I would definitely consider just deleting the old account, and subscribe with your email address you want to use.  I remember some time ago, Madison had a similar problem with Facebook, but I don’t know if it has been rectified.  So, yes, it is something to consider.    

Janet  

Keith

Hi Keith,

Janet

Keith

Hi Madison,

Janet  

Hi all,

Janet

HI Madison,

Ok are you saying you didn’t delete your old account? I ask this just so we might have a better idea if this would work or not. 

Janet

Sent: Tuesday, February 02, 2021 3:01 PM

Hi Keith,

Janet  

Keith

Hi Keith,

Janet

Keith

Hi Madison,

Janet  

Hi all,

Madison Martin

No, I didn’t delete it. I just want to delete my old email, not my whole account.

Sent: February 2, 2021 3:29 PM

HI Madison,

Ok are you saying you didn’t delete your old account? I ask this just so we might have a better idea if this would work or not. 

Janet

Hi Keith,

Janet  

Keith

Hi Keith,

Janet

Keith

Hi Madison,

Janet  

Hi all,

Janet

Madison,

Ok thank you for this.  What I meant was if someone can’t change their email address, they have tried everything, and all else fails, they might have to delete the account in order to subscribe again just so they can use the new email address.  I do understand you do not want to delete your account though. 

Janet ,

Sent: Tuesday, February 02, 2021 3:32 PM

No, I didn’t delete it. I just want to delete my old email, not my whole account.

Sent: February 2, 2021 3:29 PM

HI Madison,

Janet

Hi Keith,

Janet  

Keith

Hi Keith,

Janet

Keith

Hi Madison,

Janet  

Hi all,

Donna

Those who are having problems changing their Facebook email; Have you tried using an iPhone/iPad, if you have one? I changed my primary email for Facebook about 2 months, using the Facebook app.

Donna

i

Hi Keith,

Janet  

Keith

Hi Keith,

Janet

Keith

Hi Madison,

Janet  

Hi all,

Madison Martin

I don’t have one.

From: main@TechTalk.groups.io <main@TechTalk.groups.io> On Behalf Of Donna
Sent: February 2, 2021 4:45 PM
To: main@techtalk.groups.io

Those who are having problems changing their Facebook email; Have you tried using an iPhone/iPad, if you have one? I changed my primary email for Facebook about 2 months, using the Facebook app.

Donna

i

Hi Keith,

Janet  

Keith

Hi Keith,

Janet

Keith

Hi Madison,

Janet  

Hi all,

George McCoy

If Madison does that, he will loose all his data; facebook friends, saved posts, groups, preferences, everything. Facebook is not like mailing lists. The account is tied to an email address. Using a different address will create a second blank unused no-data facebook account.

It looks like the email address was successfully changed for log in purposes, but not for notifications.

If I were Madison, I'd do the following.

Click the accounts button near the top of the initial screen

Find the settings and privacy button and click it.

Find and click the settings link.

Using screen reader's browser controls, find the list of settings types.

Arrow down to notifications and click it.

Move to the top of the page and find the first level 2 heading, which is the beginning of the notifications settings.

Near the bottom of that page, after the list of notification types there is a collapsed button that, I believe, will let you change the email address for notifications.

George

On 1/30/2021 9:08 PM, Janet wrote:
Hi Madison,
Well, I see no one has answered you yet. I'm not familiar with Facebook either, but have you tried to unsubscribe using your old email, and resubscribing with your new email? Just a thought.

Janet

Hi all,

Shelly Kane

Keith:

Sorry if I'm coming in to late but just wanted to let you know that if you delete an account with Facebook, it never really gets totally deleted.  If you have anyone around you who is sighted, you should have them help you change your address.  My niece did it for me.  I think these apps need to be more accessible.  Hope this helps.

Shelly

On 2/2/2021 8:58 AM, Keith S wrote:

Keith

Hi Keith,

Janet

Keith

Hi Madison,

Janet  

Hi all,

Keith S

neither do i.  I cannot use smart phones due to neurological issues with my hands

Keith

Sent: Tuesday, February 02, 2021 4:57 PM

I don’t have one.

From: main@TechTalk.groups.io <main@TechTalk.groups.io> On Behalf Of Donna
Sent: February 2, 2021 4:45 PM
To: main@techtalk.groups.io

Donna

i

Hi Keith,

Janet  

Keith

Hi Keith,

Janet

Keith

Hi Madison,

Janet  

Hi all,