Topics

Fault with brand new external drive

Walter Ramage

Hi all.  I have just recently purchased from Amazon 2 WD 28tb external drives.  I have loaded files on to one but the second drive appears to have a problem.  I have spoken to Amazon and I will be returning the drive this coming week and they have sent a replacement which I received this afternoon and so far appears to be working normally.

The purpose of this post is to discover if it was possible for me to have rectified the problem and avoid returning the item.

I started yesterday transferring 14.7tb on to this new drive but at random times an error would occur, I've been told that when that happens an orange light flashes on the drive whereas a constant white light shows when it is working normally.  When the error occurs I get the message that the requested action can't be completed because of an I/O error and if I want help with the problem the error code is 0x8007045d.

My computer knowledge is very limited but I did do a Google search but the main results were that fixing this shouldn't be attempted unless you know what you are doing, and I don't.  I also found an option to download a tool to fix an I/O error.  In the end I decided the best thing was to return it to Amazon.

When I got the error I couldn't get access to the drive, I was told the location wasn't available.  If I turned the drive off then back on or restarted the computer then I could get access, until the error re-occurred.  So, is returning the item the best thing or could I have repaired this issue myself?  By the way, I connected the drive to two different computers with the same result.  I'm just curious as to how one goes about sorting out this kind of issue.  Walter.

Gene

I think there is something wrong with the drive. Also, let's say, for the sake of argument, that the problem could have been corrected if you had this or that program or utility. The purchaser isn't required or expected to correct defects even if he can and attempts to do so often violate the warranty.

Its possible the problem is caused by a defect in the cable connecting the drive and trying another one would have been a good idea, but I see little prospect of anything else you might have done correcting the problem. I doubt that would have either.

[...]

Hi. I did use a differnt cable, I connected the drive to a 2nd computer
with different data cable and ac cable but still got the problem. Walter.

[...]

Chief Walter, if I were in your shoes right now, no doubt I've been there
more than a time or two, I shall most certainly return the drive for
replacement just as you've done. I won't attempt rectifying any problems
associated with the drive especially since it's brand-new and still under
warranty. I don't know how returns are treated in Britain; here in the
United States, unless otherwise stated, we have at least 30 days to return a
product whether defective or not for a full refund. Some sellers DO LIMIT
returns to 15 days and such; this is NOT A COMMON THING with Amazon.com
which graciously picks up the item(s) I've had to return with no questions
asked. Heck, amazon.com even provides the RETURN LABEL and the driver snaps
it on during pick up.

This is why I enjoy doing business with amazon.com, although it is slowly
becoming another monopoly.

Sincerely,
Olusegun
Denver, Colorado

Gene

Then the hard drive itself has a problem.

[...]

enes sarıbaş

But Amazon charges you both for the pick up as well as the return. I bought a 50 dollar microphone, which had terrible sound and realized it wasn't appropriate for my needs, but the pickup and return, or transporting it would equal half the price of the microphone, so I chose to gift it.

On 12/12/2020 12:55 PM, Olusegun -- Victory Associates LTD, Inc. wrote:
[...]

Hi. I have always been pleased with Amazon customer service and this case
is no different. I spoke to an agent yesterday afternoon and I recieved a
new replacement drive this afternoon, that is less than 24 hours and the
replacement drive has been sent without charge. They sent me a QR code for
the return item and I have until the 1st of February in which to return it.
Normally a company will wait until the faulty item has been returned before
issuing a refund or replacement but in this case it was replaced without
question. I'm going to keep an eye out just in case they issue a refund to
my cc. I do appreciate their trust because these drives are not cheap.
Interestingly the new replacement drive has been working since 4:40pm my
time, it is now 7:40pm and it is still working without trouble so far, long
may that last. Walter.

[...]

Hi. Don't know where you are but they don't charge here but I don't think they provide the service you speak of. I'll take the package to my local post office, they will scan the email on my phone with the QR code, print the label and return the package to Amazon and there is no charge for that. If I had a printer I could print my own label and call the post office and they will come and pick it up at my home but I don't know if there is a charge for that or if it is charged to Amazon. Walter.

[...]

Hi,

They apparently do charge, based on this amazon article.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=GXM7UWCH63ZJHAVP