Topics

Faxing questions

Kathy Pingstock

Good morning,
I have a question on faxing services. I do not have my own fax, I had a name change and I have to send a fax to update my name change for my credit cards, The information they want is sensitive information, I did hear that Staples offers a faxing service but also there are services online that you can do without having your own facts. I wanted to find out if anyone has used online faxing services and if so which ones do you recommend or would it be more secure for me to go to Staples
I am new with all of this thank you Kathy

Kathy,

            I would feel far more secure about using the Staples service than submitting anything online, which would mean having an electronic copy out there.  The folks at Staples fax a lot of stuff and they don't give a flying fig about what they're faxing that I've ever noticed.  If you hand them the ready to fax item, including the cover sheet, they grab it, fax it, hand it back and charge you.

            And, by the way, I would also take the time to complain to the entity that's insisting on a FAX.  Very few of us ever had FAX machines and these days even fewer of us do.  It's perfectly possible to send the same document via e-mail or via a secure customer portal, and in this day and age that's what they should be doing.  Insisting on FAX makes customers' lives miserable for no reason.

Kathy Pingstock

Thank you so much for your input, can things be send  like account numbers and Social Security and stuff securely and safely through an email to the company because maybe I can make that suggestion

 I know they want a copy of my new ID with my new name and stuff on it Kathy Sent from my iPhone

On Sep 16, 2020, at 11:04 AM, Brian Vogel <britechguy@...> wrote:

Kathy,

            I would feel far more secure about using the Staples service than submitting anything online, which would mean having an electronic copy out there.  The folks at Staples fax a lot of stuff and they don't give a flying fig about what they're faxing that I've ever noticed.  If you hand them the ready to fax item, including the cover sheet, they grab it, fax it, hand it back and charge you.

            And, by the way, I would also take the time to complain to the entity that's insisting on a FAX.  Very few of us ever had FAX machines and these days even fewer of us do.  It's perfectly possible to send the same document via e-mail or via a secure customer portal, and in this day and age that's what they should be doing.  Insisting on FAX makes customers' lives miserable for no reason.

Kathy Pingstock

Brian I forgot to ask what do you put on a cover letter when you’re doing faxing question

[...]

I'll answer your last question first.  Most word processors have a built in template for a FAX Cover Sheet.  There are scads of them in MS-Word, the simplest one of which is "Fax cover sheet (standard format)."  But in all cases most contain a table with labels for the things you enter.  It's pretty straightforward.  A cover sheet really only needs to contain your name and contact information, the name and contact information for the person/department to whom the FAX is being sent, and after that any "special instructions" for the recipient if that's applicable.

One can encrypt a file (which will password protect it) and it is safe to send via e-mail, as only the recipient will be provided with the password, and that is done in an e-mail message that is separate from the one in which the file is being sent, so if one or the other message were intercepted the two pieces necessary for getting at the information are not available.

Many companies, and virtually all medical offices, now have what are called client or patient portals, where you log in via the web and the whole interaction is going on in an encrypted session, so all kinds of sensitive information can be safely exchanged.

I've actually sent things like scans of my driver's license and similar unencrypted in the past because the actual probability of any given email message being intercepted is quite low, but there is definitely a risk involved in doing so, but one I was willing to accept.

I just don't understand why the FAX has not died the death it so justly deserves after all these years.

Blaster

Kathy, I know exactly how you feel. I was the primary care giver for
my mother and needed to submit all kinds of documents to the state and
county in regards to eligibility for particular Altzheimer's programs
and they said they couldn't or wouldn't accept e-mail or standard
mail, just faxes. I tried a few online services with little luck as
far as accessibility is concerned until I found this website:

www.gotfreefax.com

Ironically, The free version never worked, lol. The paid version
worked like a charm! For .98 cents you can send 10 pages and if you
don't use them all, they don't expire. I needed to resend a yearly
report to the state and when I went back to the website and logged in,
it remembered how many credits I had left on my account and I was able
to send those faxes at no additional charge. There's no templates for
a cover page, it's just a text box where you can put in any
information about who you are, who's attention is required and what
information is in your fax. You can attach any scanned image without
having to convert it to grey scale, it does that automatically. After
you send the fax you can actually wait for a confirmation message that
let's you know that the fax was received and it has a time stamp. It
will also send you an e-mail with this information. I do agree with
Brian, why in the world in this day and age are we using this old
tech? Anyway, If you do use this service and have any questions I'd
be happy to help if I can.

Kind regards,
[...]

*Always remember that computers are just glorified light bulbs - they rarely
fail in continuous use and usually go pop when turned off and on.*