Topics

Finding the "Unread" messages in Outlook 365?

Vicky Vaughan

Hi List, Do any of you know the command to have Outlook 365 jump to each message that has not been read yet?

I am using this on a Windows 10 computer with Jaws 2020.

Thanks very much for any help!

Sincerely, Vicky V

AVG logo

www.avg.com

Kimsan

I don’t think there is one; however, there is an undread button you can space bar on which will only display unread messages.

Kimsan Song

kimsansong@...

Also, you may follow me on twitter:

https://twitter.com/kims4ns0ng

Hi List, Do any of you know the command to have Outlook 365 jump to each message that has not been read yet?

I am using this on a Windows 10 computer with Jaws 2020.

Thanks very much for any help!

Sincerely, Vicky V

www.avg.com

Brian Vogel <britechguy@...>

Vicky,

         There is a "Next Unread Message" command, but it is not on the standard ribbon - and I mean the Message Ribbon when you're in a window reading a message.  You can customize the ribbon, add a new group to the ribbon, then place the Next Unread Message control in that group.  It is accessible via keyboard shortcut once it's been placed in a group on the ribbon.

          If you would like me to create a step-by-step instruction set for doing this let me know.  I just did it "quick and dirty" in Outlook 2016 but would have to step through from the outset and record the keyboard shortcuts and things you have to look for during the process.

Brian Vogel <britechguy@...>

I decided to put together that tutorial since I know this will eventually come up again.

Adding the Next Unread Item Button to your Messages Tab/Ribbon in Outlook

It can be quite handy if you want to shoot straight to the next unread message rather than having to hunt for it.

What follows presumes you are using Outlook 2016 and later.  It may apply to earlier versions, but has not been tested on same.

You should be in the message reading window for any message of your choosing before starting.  It may be possible to add this control elsewhere if you’re using the Preview Pane, but I have not tested that, either.

To Add the Next Unread Item Button:

1.       Gain focus on any individual control in the Message Ribbon, it does not matter which one.  ALT+H, Down Arrow will do for getting you on the Ignore control, the first in the ribbon.

2.       Bring up the context menu by the method of your choosing, whether Right Click, SHIFT+F10, or the applications/context menu key and choose the Customize the Ribbon option.  This will cause Outlook Options to open with focus on the Customize Ribbon Pane, which is insanely complex.  If you wish to explore it, feel free to do so, but the remainder of these instructions will focus exclusively on what you need to do next to get the control you’re looking for into its own group and on to your Message Ribbon.

3.      Tab into the pane, and in the Choose Commands from dropdown, choose the Commands Not in the Ribbon option.  A long list, in alphabetical order, now appears below.  You are looking for the item in the list named, Next Unread Item, which you will select.

4.      Now you will navigate over to the list, already showing, under the Customize the Ribbon dropdown which is showing the Main Tabs, and gain focus on and select the Message tab, which is first in the list.  Then navigate to the New Group button and activate it.  You must create a new group to place any commands not normally on the ribbon in to.

5.      A new group, initially named, New Group (Custom), will be created as the rightmost group in the Message Tab/Ribbon.  I want a meaningful name, so I immediately navigate to and activate the Rename button, and change the name to Message Jump Navigation.  You can, of course, choose any name that’s meaningful to you.

6.      Navigate to and activate the Add button.  Since focus was already established on the  Next Unread Item command in the first list, and focus remains on the newly created group in the second, this will cause Next Unread Item to be placed in the newly created Message Jump Navigation group.

7.      Navigate to and activate the OK button.

You now have the Next Unread Item control in your Message Tab/Ribbon.  In my case, and I’d presume it will be the same for everyone, the keyboard shortcut is ALT+H,Y.  On occasion, when I activate this control, I get an error dialog box that reads, “Cannot open the next item. Sorry we’re having trouble opening this item. This could be temporary, but if you see it again you might want to restart Outlook.”  I have never been able to figure out exactly when it will pop up.  In virtually all cases if I click OK to close it and issue the Next Unread Item command again, it works just fine.

Vicky Vaughan

Thank you very much Brian for your very clear instructions.

Sincerely, Vicky V

[...]

           You're quite welcome.  If you this up, would you mind reporting back regarding whether or not you occasionally have the error dialog pop up about not being able to find the next unread message?  I'm curious to learn whether this is happening elsewhere.  If it's not, then I might try turning off the preview pane and see if that makes it stop occurring.

"Marvin Atkins"

Brian,

I implemented the steps you gave for Vickie to put “read next unread item) on the message tab/ribbon and used the Alt+H, Y keystroke many times yesterday and today and so far there has been no error message pop up. It has worked perfectly. I am using Windows 2004, JAWS 2020 and Outlook 10. Although I think using Ctrl+. Does the same thing. This was not the keystroke I was hoping for as what I was looking for is to find the messages in the Inbox marked “unread”; for example, say you have 300 messages in your Inbox and 20 of those are marked “unread”. In WLM, you could use Ctrl+U and go from one “unread” message to the next and when you found the one you were looking for, you hit enter to open. Outlook 10 seems not to have such a keystroke. I was hoping to maybe incorporating this keystroke to the Inbox ribbon somehow but not figured it out yet.

Marvin