Topics

Finding the "Unread" messages in Outlook 365?

Vicky Vaughan

Hi List, Do any of you know the command to have Outlook 365 jump to each message that has not been read yet?

I am using this on a Windows 10 computer with Jaws 2020.

Thanks very much for any help!

Sincerely, Vicky V

AVG logo

This email has been checked for viruses by AVG antivirus software.
www.avg.com

Kimsan

I don’t think there is one; however, there is an undread button you can space bar on which will only display unread messages.

Kimsan Song

kimsansong@...

If you are into HipHop or R&B, I invite you to subscribe to my youtube artist channel at

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCFzrNcgBfHguK-LnnJMMylA

Also, you may follow me on twitter:

https://twitter.com/kims4ns0ng

From: main@TechTalk.groups.io <main@TechTalk.groups.io> On Behalf Of Vicky Vaughan
Sent: Monday, November 2, 2020 2:28 PM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io
Subject: [TechTalk] Finding the "Unread" messages in Outlook 365?

Hi List, Do any of you know the command to have Outlook 365 jump to each message that has not been read yet?

I am using this on a Windows 10 computer with Jaws 2020.

Thanks very much for any help!

Sincerely, Vicky V

www.avg.com

Brian Vogel <britechguy@...>

Vicky,

There is a "Next Unread Message" command, but it is not on the standard ribbon - and I mean the Message Ribbon when you're in a window reading a message.  You can customize the ribbon, add a new group to the ribbon, then place the Next Unread Message control in that group.  It is accessible via keyboard shortcut once it's been placed in a group on the ribbon.

If you would like me to create a step-by-step instruction set for doing this let me know.  I just did it "quick and dirty" in Outlook 2016 but would have to step through from the outset and record the keyboard shortcuts and things you have to look for during the process.

--

Brian - Windows 10 Pro, 64-Bit, Version 2004, Build 19041  

Always remember that computers are just glorified light bulbs - they rarely fail in continuous use and usually go pop when turned off and on.

~ Technician with the username Computer Bloke, on Technibble.com

I decided to put together that tutorial since I know this will eventually come up again.
-------------------------------------------

Adding the Next Unread Item Button to your Messages Tab/Ribbon in Outlook

It can be quite handy if you want to shoot straight to the next unread message rather than having to hunt for it.

What follows presumes you are using Outlook 2016 and later.  It may apply to earlier versions, but has not been tested on same.

You should be in the message reading window for any message of your choosing before starting.  It may be possible to add this control elsewhere if you’re using the Preview Pane, but I have not tested that, either.

To Add the Next Unread Item Button:

1.       Gain focus on any individual control in the Message Ribbon, it does not matter which one.  ALT+H, Down Arrow will do for getting you on the Ignore control, the first in the ribbon.

2.       Bring up the context menu by the method of your choosing, whether Right Click, SHIFT+F10, or the applications/context menu key and choose the Customize the Ribbon option.  This will cause Outlook Options to open with focus on the Customize Ribbon Pane, which is insanely complex.  If you wish to explore it, feel free to do so, but the remainder of these instructions will focus exclusively on what you need to do next to get the control you’re looking for into its own group and on to your Message Ribbon.

3.      Tab into the pane, and in the Choose Commands from dropdown, choose the Commands Not in the Ribbon option.  A long list, in alphabetical order, now appears below.  You are looking for the item in the list named, Next Unread Item, which you will select.

4.      Now you will navigate over to the list, already showing, under the Customize the Ribbon dropdown which is showing the Main Tabs, and gain focus on and select the Message tab, which is first in the list.  Then navigate to the New Group button and activate it.  You must create a new group to place any commands not normally on the ribbon in to.

5.      A new group, initially named, New Group (Custom), will be created as the rightmost group in the Message Tab/Ribbon.  I want a meaningful name, so I immediately navigate to and activate the Rename button, and change the name to Message Jump Navigation.  You can, of course, choose any name that’s meaningful to you.

6.      Navigate to and activate the Add button.  Since focus was already established on the  Next Unread Item command in the first list, and focus remains on the newly created group in the second, this will cause Next Unread Item to be placed in the newly created Message Jump Navigation group.

7.      Navigate to and activate the OK button.

You now have the Next Unread Item control in your Message Tab/Ribbon.  In my case, and I’d presume it will be the same for everyone, the keyboard shortcut is ALT+H,Y.  On occasion, when I activate this control, I get an error dialog box that reads, “Cannot open the next item. Sorry we’re having trouble opening this item. This could be temporary, but if you see it again you might want to restart Outlook.”  I have never been able to figure out exactly when it will pop up.  In virtually all cases if I click OK to close it and issue the Next Unread Item command again, it works just fine.

--

Always remember that computers are just glorified light bulbs - they rarely fail in continuous use and usually go pop when turned off and on.

Vicky Vaughan

Thank you very much Brian for your very clear instructions. 

Sincerely, Vicky V

From: main@TechTalk.groups.io <main@TechTalk.groups.io> On Behalf Of Brian Vogel
Sent: Tuesday, November 3, 2020 12:35 PM
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] Finding the "Unread" messages in Outlook 365?

I decided to put together that tutorial since I know this will eventually come up again.
-------------------------------------------

Adding the Next Unread Item Button to your Messages Tab/Ribbon in Outlook

It can be quite handy if you want to shoot straight to the next unread message rather than having to hunt for it.

What follows presumes you are using Outlook 2016 and later.  It may apply to earlier versions, but has not been tested on same.

You should be in the message reading window for any message of your choosing before starting.  It may be possible to add this control elsewhere if you’re using the Preview Pane, but I have not tested that, either.

To Add the Next Unread Item Button:

1.       Gain focus on any individual control in the Message Ribbon, it does not matter which one.  ALT+H, Down Arrow will do for getting you on the Ignore control, the first in the ribbon.

2.       Bring up the context menu by the method of your choosing, whether Right Click, SHIFT+F10, or the applications/context menu key and choose the Customize the Ribbon option.  This will cause Outlook Options to open with focus on the Customize Ribbon Pane, which is insanely complex.  If you wish to explore it, feel free to do so, but the remainder of these instructions will focus exclusively on what you need to do next to get the control you’re looking for into its own group and on to your Message Ribbon.

3.      Tab into the pane, and in the Choose Commands from dropdown, choose the Commands Not in the Ribbon option.  A long list, in alphabetical order, now appears below.  You are looking for the item in the list named, Next Unread Item, which you will select.

4.      Now you will navigate over to the list, already showing, under the Customize the Ribbon dropdown which is showing the Main Tabs, and gain focus on and select the Message tab, which is first in the list.  Then navigate to the New Group button and activate it.  You must create a new group to place any commands not normally on the ribbon in to.

5.      A new group, initially named, New Group (Custom), will be created as the rightmost group in the Message Tab/Ribbon.  I want a meaningful name, so I immediately navigate to and activate the Rename button, and change the name to Message Jump Navigation.  You can, of course, choose any name that’s meaningful to you.

6.      Navigate to and activate the Add button.  Since focus was already established on the  Next Unread Item command in the first list, and focus remains on the newly created group in the second, this will cause Next Unread Item to be placed in the newly created Message Jump Navigation group.

7.      Navigate to and activate the OK button.

You now have the Next Unread Item control in your Message Tab/Ribbon.  In my case, and I’d presume it will be the same for everyone, the keyboard shortcut is ALT+H,Y.  On occasion, when I activate this control, I get an error dialog box that reads, “Cannot open the next item. Sorry we’re having trouble opening this item. This could be temporary, but if you see it again you might want to restart Outlook.”  I have never been able to figure out exactly when it will pop up.  In virtually all cases if I click OK to close it and issue the Next Unread Item command again, it works just fine.

--

AVG logo

www.avg.com

Vicky,

You're quite welcome.  If you this up, would you mind reporting back regarding whether or not you occasionally have the error dialog pop up about not being able to find the next unread message?  I'm curious to learn whether this is happening elsewhere.  If it's not, then I might try turning off the preview pane and see if that makes it stop occurring.
--

"Marvin Atkins"

Brian,

I implemented the steps you gave for Vickie to put “read next unread item) on the message tab/ribbon and used the Alt+H, Y keystroke many times yesterday and today and so far there has been no error message pop up. It has worked perfectly. I am using Windows 2004, JAWS 2020 and Outlook 10. Although I think using Ctrl+. Does the same thing. This was not the keystroke I was hoping for as what I was looking for is to find the messages in the Inbox marked “unread”; for example, say you have 300 messages in your Inbox and 20 of those are marked “unread”. In WLM, you could use Ctrl+U and go from one “unread” message to the next and when you found the one you were looking for, you hit enter to open. Outlook 10 seems not to have such a keystroke. I was hoping to maybe incorporating this keystroke to the Inbox ribbon somehow but not figured it out yet.     

Marvin  

From: main@TechTalk.groups.io [mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io] On Behalf Of Brian Vogel
Sent: November 3, 2020 4:42 PM

Vicky,

You're quite welcome.  If you this up, would you mind reporting back regarding whether or not you occasionally have the error dialog pop up about not being able to find the next unread message?  I'm curious to learn whether this is happening elsewhere.  If it's not, then I might try turning off the preview pane and see if that makes it stop occurring.
--

Marvin,

Thanks for the update.  If there is another keyboard shortcut to jump to the next unread message, I was unable to find it, and if you do find it definitely post it.

I am not quite certain what you're saying is "not quite what you were hoping for,"  After setting things up, is ALT+H,Y not taking you to the next unread message?  Even when I've manually marked something I had read as unread, if I go "back up the inbox" (or whatever mailbox) above it, when I hit that key combination it's what I land on.

I think you can only add the next unread item control to one ribbon in Outlook.  I did not try initially adding it in the view where you're looking at the inbox list of messages itself.  I may play with removing it from the message reading ribbon and see if I can tuck it in there instead when I have time.
--

"Marvin Atkins"

Brian,

If you are in an open message, the Alt+H, Y keystroke works as advertised since it will open the next unread message. What I was hoping to do, while in the Inbox view, was to find the next unread message without opening it; therefore, allowing me to open it if that message was what I was looking for. As a Correction To my last post, I was somewhat wrong about the Ctrl+. Keystroke as it will open the next message,  regardless if it is unread or has already been read.   

Marvin

From: main@TechTalk.groups.io [mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io] On Behalf Of Brian Vogel
Sent: November 4, 2020 12:37 PM

Marvin,

Thanks for the update.  If there is another keyboard shortcut to jump to the next unread message, I was unable to find it, and if you do find it definitely post it.

I am not quite certain what you're saying is "not quite what you were hoping for,"  After setting things up, is ALT+H,Y not taking you to the next unread message?  Even when I've manually marked something I had read as unread, if I go "back up the inbox" (or whatever mailbox) above it, when I hit that key combination it's what I land on.

I think you can only add the next unread item control to one ribbon in Outlook.  I did not try initially adding it in the view where you're looking at the inbox list of messages itself.  I may play with removing it from the message reading ribbon and see if I can tuck it in there instead when I have time.
--

Marvin,

An interesting development, and I don't know if it applies to Outlook 2016 exclusively, or all going forward after, but there is an "Unread" toggle right in the main view for a given folder itself.  If I hit CTRL+E to throw myself in to the search box then SHIFT+Tab once, I'm on the Unread control, which, when activated, gives a view of only unread items.  If I to back to the search box and SHIFT+TAB twice, I'm on the All control which, if activated, brings back the more typical view of all messages/conversations.  I do not ever recall having done any customizations here, and it's not congruent with Microsoft's own documentation here:  View only unread messages - Outlook (microsoft.com)

Take a look and see if you have that unread toggle and if so, whether using it might meet the need.
--

"Marvin Atkins"

Brian,

This feature didn’t work in Outlook 10. Good idea though. I guess I will just make me an Unread folder and put all my unread in that folder and at least when I’m looking for a unread message, I will not have to go through the entire Inbox list. I believe support has ended for Outlook 10 so if I can find Outlook 16 or 19 for cheap on Ebay, I may upgrade. I have looked at the so-called “gray” area of buying Microsoft outlook products but I’m not sure which to purchase. I don’t understand how one can sell for $2.98 and then the same product Is selling for $59.99. Either way, if I upgrade, I will certainly use this feature then.

Marvin    

Marvin  

Sent: November 4, 2020 2:10 PM

Marvin,

An interesting development, and I don't know if it applies to Outlook 2016 exclusively, or all going forward after, but there is an "Unread" toggle right in the main view for a given folder itself.  If I hit CTRL+E to throw myself in to the search box then SHIFT+Tab once, I'm on the Unread control, which, when activated, gives a view of only unread items.  If I to back to the search box and SHIFT+TAB twice, I'm on the All control which, if activated, brings back the more typical view of all messages/conversations.  I do not ever recall having done any customizations here, and it's not congruent with Microsoft's own documentation here:  View only unread messages - Outlook (microsoft.com)

Take a look and see if you have that unread toggle and if so, whether using it might meet the need.
--

Gene

But in Outlook 10, the command control u probably moves you to the next unread message in the list. The thread began with the statement that an in an earlier version of Outlook than I believe almost the latest one, control u worked but it doesn't now, hence the original question.

Gene

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Wednesday, November 04, 2020 2:32 PM

Brian,

This feature didn’t work in Outlook 10. Good idea though. I guess I will just make me an Unread folder and put all my unread in that folder and at least when I’m looking for a unread message, I will not have to go through the entire Inbox list. I believe support has ended for Outlook 10 so if I can find Outlook 16 or 19 for cheap on Ebay, I may upgrade. I have looked at the so-called “gray” area of buying Microsoft outlook products but I’m not sure which to purchase. I don’t understand how one can sell for $2.98 and then the same product Is selling for $59.99. Either way, if I upgrade, I will certainly use this feature then.

Marvin

Marvin

Sent: November 4, 2020 2:10 PM

Marvin,

An interesting development, and I don't know if it applies to Outlook 2016 exclusively, or all going forward after, but there is an "Unread" toggle right in the main view for a given folder itself. If I hit CTRL+E to throw myself in to the search box then SHIFT+Tab once, I'm on the Unread control, which, when activated, gives a view of only unread items. If I to back to the search box and SHIFT+TAB twice, I'm on the All control which, if activated, brings back the more typical view of all messages/conversations. I do not ever recall having done any customizations here, and it's not congruent with Microsoft's own documentation here: View only unread messages - Outlook (microsoft.com)

--

Brian - Windows 10 Pro, 64-Bit, Version 2004, Build 19041