fixing a broken key on my laptop keyboard

Madison Martin

Hi all,

A piece of my escape key just broke; it’s a perfect square and the part that’s left is all squished down, there wasn’t a crack in it or anything and my laptop is just over two years old. So I’m wondering, is there anyway that I can fix this key or do I have to take it into the store where we bought my laptop and get them to replace it (if that’s even possible; I have no clue if this model is still made)? If I can fix it then please tell me how to do it. Really hope there’s something that I can do as like I said I’m not even sure if this model is still being made.

Madison

Gene

If you place the key where it should be and push, does the key move and work as it should?

Gene

On 6/26/2022 12:44 PM, Madison Martin wrote:

Hi all,

A piece of my escape key just broke; it’s a perfect square and the part that’s left is all squished down, there wasn’t a crack in it or anything and my laptop is just over two years old. So I’m wondering, is there anyway that I can fix this key or do I have to take it into the store where we bought my laptop and get them to replace it (if that’s even possible; I have no clue if this model is still made)? If I can fix it then please tell me how to do it. Really hope there’s something that I can do as like I said I’m not even sure if this model is still being made.

Madison

Madison Martin

No, but if the rest of it was squished down then it likely would

If you place the key where it should be and push, does the key move and work as it should?

Gene

On 6/26/2022 12:44 PM, Madison Martin wrote:

Hi all,

A piece of my escape key just broke; it’s a perfect square and the part that’s left is all squished down, there wasn’t a crack in it or anything and my laptop is just over two years old. So I’m wondering, is there anyway that I can fix this key or do I have to take it into the store where we bought my laptop and get them to replace it (if that’s even possible; I have no clue if this model is still made)? If I can fix it then please tell me how to do it. Really hope there’s something that I can do as like I said I’m not even sure if this model is still being made.

Madison

Ann Marie Medlar

Hi,

I googled it and below is youtube link.

Sounds complicated.  I would just bring to shop and ask them to fix it.

But if you feel confident then try it yourself.

Video suggests key likely dirty.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wqrchfpdJ_w