free antivirus and windows 10..?

Jim Wohlgamuth

Hi There Folks!
Is there an antivirus program which comes with Windows 10? If so, where can I obtain it? Thanks And Have A Great Day!
de
<wohlggie@...><KF8LT><Jim>.

Alan Robbins <arobbins1057@...>

Jim,

It is called Defender and is built in and I believe on by default

Alan

From: main@TechTalk.groups.io <main@TechTalk.groups.io> On Behalf Of Jim Wohlgamuth
Sent: Tuesday, June 22, 2021 2:01 PM
To: TechTalk@groups.io
Subject: [TechTalk] free antivirus and windows 10..?

Hi There Folks!
Is there an antivirus program which comes with Windows 10? If so, where can I obtain it? Thanks And Have A Great Day!
de

Monte Single

HI Jim,

Yes, Windows 10 comes with Windows Defender, or is it windows security,  I use it on this win 10 machine.

It is installed and running by default.  You don’t have to do anything.

Once every few days or week I hear my screenreader, nvda for me,  say  a check had just completed.

It is rated at the top of the heap the  all the geeks who rate this kind of thing.

No need to install something else, free or paid for.

From: main@TechTalk.groups.io <main@TechTalk.groups.io> On Behalf Of Jim Wohlgamuth
Sent: June 22, 2021 12:01 PM

Hi There Folks!
de

Troy Burnham

For some reason windows security notified me a couple of days ago that it was turned off on my windows 10 machine. I think I eventually got it turned back on but in the meantime I found out that AVG was installed and apparently running. I have no idea how AVG got installed, must've been part of some bloatwear that got installed when I installed something else even though I have unchecky installed and that's supposed to stop extra things like that from installing, but unless the message I got was wrong apparently certain things can shut down windows security.

Troy

On 6/22/2021 2:31 PM, Monte Single wrote:

HI Jim,

Yes, Windows 10 comes with Windows Defender, or is it windows security,  I use it on this win 10 machine.

Once every few days or week I hear my screenreader, nvda for me,  say  a check had just completed.

It is rated at the top of the heap the  all the geeks who rate this kind of thing.

Hi There Folks!
de

Gene

Windows Defender stops running if another antivirus program is installed.  You aren’t supposed to have two antivirus programs running at the same time so Windows Defender shuts down.

Gene

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Tuesday, June 22, 2021 9:21 PM
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] free antivirus and windows 10..?

For some reason windows security notified me a couple of days ago that it was turned off on my windows 10 machine. I think I eventually got it turned back on but in the meantime I found out that AVG was installed and apparently running. I have no idea how AVG got installed, must've been part of some bloatwear that got installed when I installed something else even though I have unchecky installed and that's supposed to stop extra things like that from installing, but unless the message I got was wrong apparently certain things can shut down windows security.

Troy

HI Jim,

From: main@TechTalk.groups.io mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io On Behalf Of Jim Wohlgamuth

Hi There Folks!
de
mailto:wohlggie@...<KF8LT><Jim>.

Monte Single

If you purchased a brand name machine, it is possible the a v g was installed by the manufacturer.  This is a common practice.

From: main@TechTalk.groups.io <main@TechTalk.groups.io> On Behalf Of Troy Burnham
Sent: June 22, 2021 8:22 PM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io

Troy

HI Jim,

Hi There Folks!
de

Troy Burnham

This isn't a new machine. I did, however, have the geek squad reinstall windows for me back in February of this year because the machine wouldn't boot into windows and when the geek squad evaluated it they said it was a software problem, and they offered me some sort of software program that I let them install thinking it might help but it was more of a problem than anything. I forget what software it was but I don't believe it was AVG, and I eventually got it uninstalled, but maybe it was something to do with that that stopped windows security from running. I know that I just recently started downloading and running the Microsoft safety scanner again after not doing that for a while, and when I used to use that it never found anything to quarentine but the last few times it has been finding things to remove.

Is there a way that I can double-check to be sure windows security is indeed running? I found it in my settings the other day and turned something on that said it was off but I don't know if that did the trick or not.

Troy

On 6/22/2021 10:23 PM, Monte Single wrote:

If you purchased a brand name machine, it is possible the a v g was installed by the manufacturer.  This is a common practice.

From: main@TechTalk.groups.io <main@TechTalk.groups.io> On Behalf Of Troy Burnham
Sent: June 22, 2021 8:22 PM

Troy

HI Jim,

Hi There Folks!
de

John Holcomb II

In addition, when you uninstall say AVG or whatever other antivirus you have , Windows Defender will turn itself back on again automatically.

John

From: main@TechTalk.groups.io <main@TechTalk.groups.io> On Behalf Of Gene
Sent: Tuesday, June 22, 2021 10:35 PM

Windows Defender stops running if another antivirus program is installed.  You aren’t supposed to have two antivirus programs running at the same time so Windows Defender shuts down.

Gene

-----Original Message-----

Sent: Tuesday, June 22, 2021 9:21 PM

Troy

HI Jim,

From: main@TechTalk.groups.io mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io On Behalf Of Jim Wohlgamuth

Hi There Folks!
de
mailto:wohlggie@...<KF8LT><Jim>.