From: main@TechTalk.groups.io <main@TechTalk.groups.io> On Behalf Of Jim Wohlgamuth
Sent: Tuesday, June 22, 2021 2:01 PM
To: TechTalk@groups.io
Subject: [TechTalk] free antivirus and windows 10..?

Hi There Folks!
Is there an antivirus program which comes with Windows 10? If so, where can I obtain it? Thanks And Have A Great Day!
de
<wohlggie@...><KF8LT><Jim>.

Monte Single

HI Jim,

Yes, Windows 10 comes with Windows Defender, or is it windows security,  I use it on this win 10 machine.

It is installed and running by default.  You don’t have to do anything.

Once every few days or week I hear my screenreader, nvda for me,  say  a check had just completed.

It is rated at the top of the heap the  all the geeks who rate this kind of thing.

No need to install something else, free or paid for.

Is there an antivirus program which comes with Windows 10? If so, where can I obtain it? Thanks And Have A Great Day!
de
<wohlggie@...><KF8LT><Jim>.

Troy Burnham

For some reason windows security notified me a couple of days ago that it was turned off on my windows 10 machine. I think I eventually got it turned back on but in the meantime I found out that AVG was installed and apparently running. I have no idea how AVG got installed, must've been part of some bloatwear that got installed when I installed something else even though I have unchecky installed and that's supposed to stop extra things like that from installing, but unless the message I got was wrong apparently certain things can shut down windows security.

Troy

On 6/22/2021 2:31 PM, Monte Single wrote:

HI Jim,

Yes, Windows 10 comes with Windows Defender, or is it windows security,  I use it on this win 10 machine.

It is installed and running by default.  You don’t have to do anything.

Once every few days or week I hear my screenreader, nvda for me,  say  a check had just completed.

It is rated at the top of the heap the  all the geeks who rate this kind of thing.

No need to install something else, free or paid for.

Is there an antivirus program which comes with Windows 10? If so, where can I obtain it? Thanks And Have A Great Day!
de
<wohlggie@...><KF8LT><Jim>.

Gene

Windows Defender stops running if another antivirus program is installed.  You aren’t supposed to have two antivirus programs running at the same time so Windows Defender shuts down.

Is there an antivirus program which comes with Windows 10? If so, where can I obtain it? Thanks And Have A Great Day!
de
mailto:wohlggie@...<KF8LT><Jim>.

Monte Single

If you purchased a brand name machine, it is possible the a v g was installed by the manufacturer.  This is a common practice.