From: Sharon Hooley
Sent: Tuesday, August 04, 2020 9:30 AM
To: Techtalk
Subject: [TechTalk] Free or paid learning?

Hi,

I'm curious about how most of us would want to learn technology. Would
you prefer to glean free resources, or would it be better to get paid
tutorials and training? Any feedback would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Monte Single

I use free resources where and when I can.
Sometimes I pay for products.

I'm curious about how most of us would want to learn technology. Would you prefer to glean free resources, or would it be better to get paid tutorials and training? Any feedback would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Pamela Dominguez

I only work well with one-on-one training. I need the person to make sure I got it right. Pam.

https://www.avg.com

Sharon wrote in part:

"I'm curious about how most of us would want to learn technology. Would you
prefer to glean free resources, or would it be better to get paid tutorials
and training?"

Difficult question to answer. I think that most of the answers will be
subjective. Each individual must necessarily do that which makes such a one
more comfortable with the learning process.

For me, I take joy in tinkering, making my trillion mistakes and then
figuring out ways to fix whatever problems I create. It can be daunting,
time-consuming, but I'm never in a hurry and I'm not seeking to join any
number of gurus for a talent show. When I do get stuck, I ask questions
either in this space, or use some other source to get myself back on the
right track. For instance, I have not migrated to Windows10 yet; a part of
me DOES NOT WISH TO; why? Because I want to DITCH WINDOWS and KEEP RUNNING
with My Shiny Android Toys! I took that decision following the death of my
preferred Windows screen reader, Window-Eyes! I'm getting much more done
lately with My Shiny Android Toys and the push towards Windows10 has no real
effect on me. If secondary work causes me to migrate to Windows10 for a
while, I believe I am equal to the challenge.

I always check things out in the mainstream first before giving anythought
to specialized anything for the blind. If, for instance, there is no free
tutorial on a subject I am investigating, but such a tutorial is available
in the mainstream at a price point I feel comfortable with, then I'll buy
the needed tutorial from the mainstream. No doubt there are brilliant minds
amongst us who produce great tutorials; I have not liked the price points on
most of these and so I leave well alone.

Sincerely,
Olusegun
Denver, Colorado

Pamela Dominguez

I wish I loved tinkering like that, and felt comfortable with it, rather than getting stressed and feeling afraid that I did something wrong that i might not get myself out of. A long time ago, I used to say: "Nothing will defeat me!" But that was a long time ago, before computer stuff came into my life. Pam.

[...]

Dave

There is a Ton of things to be learned for Free, say on Youtube. The
problem with Youtube is that most everything is given as if you can see
what to Click on and what you are likely to see on Screen.

Never the less, I have just watched multiple videos on the same thing,
and most of the time, I can tell what I need to know.

For those times I haven't been able, well that is a problem.

There are those times when you know so little that you are unable to ask
an intelligent question.

So, to just run a search on the Internet can give you some starting
points, but I've spent a lot of time digging through web page after web
page, not finding what I need.

If money is short, go the Free way.

If you have a budget, and can afford some training, and someone is
offering it for a price, if it is geared towards instructing the Blind
using a Screen Reader, I'd pay the money.

If it is just another video like found on Youtube, and you are again
getting taught as if you can see, then you still may have Dots that need
connecting at the end of the lessons.

Grumpy Dave

On 8/4/2020 7:30 AM, Sharon Hooley wrote:
Hi,

I'm curious about how most of us would want to learn technology. Would
you prefer to glean free resources, or would it be better to get paid
tutorials and training?  Any feedback would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Susie Stageberg

I think everyone's learning style is different; some people can learn by themselves with a tutorial; some are afraid of messing things up; some aren't. Some people really need coaching. All of this is good. I used to write computer tutorials teaching people how to use various Windows programs with various screen readers; some people bought our stuff and just went to town; some were totally bamboozled.
If you're somebody who needs coaching, my opinion is that it's worth paying for someone to get you started. I know money is a problem for people, but computer literacy really isn't optional these days. Just my tuppence worth.

Susie

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." Eleanor RooseveltOn Aug 4, 2020 4:48 PM, Pamela Dominguez <pammygirl99@...> wrote:

[...]

Vicky Vaughan

Hi Sharon, free instruction is always welcome, but may not cover all that I need.

On the other hand, I have paid for tutorials for the visually impaired and sometimes, they do not cover all that I would have liked them to do either. None of them have yet cover all the abilities of the software.

From now on, I intend to see what I can learn from the free instruction and then with a list of what I still need to learn, I will then ask paid instruction if they will cover those.

Sincerely, Vicky V

I'm curious about how most of us would want to learn technology. Would you prefer to glean free resources, or would it be better to get paid tutorials and training? Any feedback would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

https://www.avg.com

Ann Parsons

Hi all,

There are advantages to both free and paid learning. I have tried both, and they both work. I have learned independently, as well as learning in a class. It all depends on what you need as an individual.

Ann P.

--
Ann K. Parsons
Portal Tutoring