Glucometers for the blind

Nancy Shackelford

My friend must monitor his suger levels and has been using the talking
glucometer that requires sticking his finger to get blood. He's been
getting multiple errors and has had to do this several times in a row.
I looked for one that doesn't require the finger stick but pretty much
found that one must have an iPhone for this type. My friend does not
have an iPhone. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Nance

Hello,
I would recommend the libre 14 day system. This will allow your friend to either scan with the regular reader which won’t read his scans out loud but he can also use an android device. There is a setting that will allow the readings to be read out loud after each scan. Let me know if you have any other questions.
Hope this helps,

Ashley

On Oct 11, 2021, at 8:52 AM, Nancy Shackelford <n.k.nancelady@gmail.com> wrote:

My friend must monitor his suger levels and has been using the talking
glucometer that requires sticking his finger to get blood. He's been
getting multiple errors and has had to do this several times in a row.
I looked for one that doesn't require the finger stick but pretty much
found that one must have an iPhone for this type. My friend does not
have an iPhone. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Nance

james hooper

Am I correct I thought I was told that to get the libra system one needs to check their sugar more then 5 times a day?

[...]

I don’t think so. You will need a doctors script however.

Ashley

On Oct 11, 2021, at 9:32 AM, james hooper <rockiesfan296@gmail.com> wrote:

[...]

Ashley, this is much appreciated; don't know what kind of phone he
has, but he only uses it to make and receive calls.
Thanks very much,
Nance

Angelo Sonnesso

The Libre system also has an app for Android.

My friend must monitor his suger levels and has been using the talking
glucometer that requires sticking his finger to get blood. He's been
getting multiple errors and has had to do this several times in a row.
I looked for one that doesn't require the finger stick but pretty much
found that one must have an iPhone for this type. My friend does not
have an iPhone. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Nance

Thomas N. Chan

As far as i know, the libre system is probably one of the most popular for sighted and blind folks. it have mobile apps which you can use, IOS or android to tab on that device, the appls will pick up the info.
if you scan that little device at the back of your arm once or twice a day example, it will send the info to the apps, like before and after.
for example , at night while you are sleeping, how is your sugar level.
you can know its almost live result.
the sad thing is, that little tab only has 10 to 14 days, and I can't remember how long it will last before you can't scan it anymore.
it will be a better product if it can last 30 days instead of just two weeks.

Regards,
Thomas N. Chan

On Mon, 11 Oct 2021 at 23:55, Angelo Sonnesso <asonnesso@...> wrote:
The Libre system also has an app for Android.

My friend must monitor his suger levels and has been using the talking
glucometer that requires sticking his finger to get blood. He's been
getting multiple errors and has had to do this several times in a row.
I looked for one that doesn't require the finger stick but pretty much
found that one must have an iPhone for this type. My friend does not
have an iPhone. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Nance

Marda

There is also the dexcom line of cgm products.  I don't know how they compare but I know medicare covers them if you 2qualify.  I sdon't know how long the dexcom goes before you have to scan it again.  It would be interesting to hear from people who use both systems as I dont' know if dexcom is accessible though it does work with smartphones.

Marda

On 10/12/2021 1:25 AM, Thomas N. Chan wrote:
[...]

Joe Orozco

Hi, this thread is rather timely as I'm currently looking for a
solution for someone. Are these Dexcom and Libre systems available
over the counter, or are they prescribed? Someone was saying the Libre
system comes with and without a reader, and that we should not be
looking for the one with the reader. If someone has a direct link to
either of these devices, that would be great. Thanks guys.--Joe

On Mon, 11 Oct 2021 at 23:55, Angelo Sonnesso <asonnesso@gmail.com
<mailto:asonnesso@gmail.com>> wrote:

The Libre system also has an app for Android.

My friend must monitor his suger levels and has been using the
talking
glucometer that requires sticking his finger to get blood. He's been
getting multiple errors and has had to do this several times in a
row.
I looked for one that doesn't require the finger stick but pretty
much
found that one must have an iPhone for this type. My friend does not
have an iPhone. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Nance

Joe Orozco: Your Message, My Mission
https://joeorozco.com/services/