From: main@TechTalk.groups.io
[mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io] On Behalf Of Olusegun --
Victory Associates LTD, Inc.
Sent: Monday, October 18, 2021 1:20 PM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io
Subject: [TechTalk] GMAIL: HAVING MAIL DELETED FROM SERVER

Hi All:

Ok, I thought I had it down to some science; but I confess
to having a silly foggy brain moment!

Please, how can I set Gmail to have messages deleted from
the server once downloaded? I currently don't read Gmail
anything on the web; I have it SETUP NICELY in Outlook 2007.

One other question: Do I need to login to Gmail and perform
any tweaking?
If so, which one?

Thanks for all help as always, have a splendid day!

Sincerely,
Olusegun
Denver, Colorado

Gene

Are you using a POP3 or an IMAP account?  The question can’t be answered without knowing that.]

Sent: Monday, October 18, 2021 12:19 PM

Hi All:

Ok, I thought I had it down to some science; but I confess to having a silly
foggy brain moment!

Please, how can I set Gmail to have messages deleted from the server once
downloaded?  I currently don't read Gmail anything on the web; I have it
SETUP NICELY in Outlook 2007.

One other question:  Do I need to login to Gmail and perform any tweaking?
If so, which one?

Thanks for all help as always, have a splendid day!

Sincerely,
Olusegun
Denver, Colorado

Gene asked:

"Are you using a POP3 or an IMAP account?"

Yikes, how did I miss supplying that info? It's a POP3 account sir; I seem
to almost always prefer that over IMap. The mail client is Outlook, too
lazy to bother with reading mail on the web! Muchas gracias!!

Sincerely,
Olusegun
Denver, Colorado

Gene

Those with Outlook may be able to answer the question regarding your specific program.  I will give you what I believe is a general answer.

Remove mail from server, which is the default setting doesn’t remove it in the case of GMail just because you download mail.  You can experiment.  See if using shift delete moves mail you receibve and delete to trash.  You will have to look at the Trash folder in your GMail account.  If it doesn’t, try just delete by itself.  If mail is moved to trash, it is automatically removed a month after it is moved there.

Sent: Monday, October 18, 2021 6:06 PM

Gene asked:

"Are you using a POP3 or an IMAP account?"

Yikes, how did I miss supplying that info?  It's a POP3 account sir; I seem
to almost always prefer that over IMap.  The mail client is Outlook, too
lazy to bother with reading mail on the web!  Muchas gracias!!

Sincerely,
Olusegun
Denver, Colorado

Loy

In Outlook Express, there is a check box to check if you wish for messages to remain on server. It is under the advance tab. Outlook similar to OE and  may have a similar option.

Sent: Monday, October 18, 2021 6:06 PM

Gene asked:

"Are you using a POP3 or an IMAP account?"

Yikes, how did I miss supplying that info?  It's a POP3 account sir; I seem
to almost always prefer that over IMap.  The mail client is Outlook, too
lazy to bother with reading mail on the web!  Muchas gracias!!

Sincerely,
Olusegun
Denver, Colorado

Thomas N. Chan

All you need to do is to go to gmail settings
pop/forward
then to this following settings
"2. When messages are accessed with POP "
set it to delete

Regards,
Thomas N. Chan

Sent: Monday, October 18, 2021 6:06 PM

Gene asked:

"Are you using a POP3 or an IMAP account?"

Yikes, how did I miss supplying that info?  It's a POP3 account sir; I seem
to almost always prefer that over IMap.  The mail client is Outlook, too
lazy to bother with reading mail on the web!  Muchas gracias!!

Sincerely,
Olusegun
Denver, Colorado

Gene

In my experience, using that setting, how I delete mail with the e-mail program determines what happens.  If I delete mail just using delete, it goes to all mail.  If I use shift delete, it goes to trash.  This would have to be tried with other ee-mail pprograms to see what happens.  But I use that setting.  As far as I know, it is the default and that is my experience.

Sent: Monday, October 18, 2021 6:06 PM

Gene asked:

"Are you using a POP3 or an IMAP account?"

Yikes, how did I miss supplying that info?  It's a POP3 account sir; I seem
to almost always prefer that over IMap.  The mail client is Outlook, too
lazy to bother with reading mail on the web!  Muchas gracias!!

Sincerely,
Olusegun
Denver, Colorado

Gene

I was thinking about this and I didn’t remember correctly.  Mail should be sent to trash when it is downloaded using the setting discussed with a POP3 account.  What I said about the different behavior when you delete e-mail using the e-mail program is with an IMAP account.  So if you have a POP3 account, disregard what I said.  I’m sorry about the error.