gmail messages going to trash in thunderbird

Troy Burnham

Hi all,

Messages that I get from a sports headlines site were going to my inbox in thunderbird until recently, but now they're all going to trash and to my knowledge I didn't do anything to cause this.

It's going to be a big undertaking to go through my trash and find all of these messages because I never empty my trash, plus I'm pretty sure that everything I receive from the site doesn't all come from the same address, but if I manage to send at least a few messages from each address back to my inbox does anybody know if the new messages I receive will eventually end up showing up back in my inbox again after a while?

Btw I went to gmail.com and looked at my created filters, and none of them are related to the missing messages.

Thanks.

Troy

Gene

Messages you designate as not spam are sent to the inbox.  No others are so only specific messages you find and tell GMail are not spam will be moved there.

Sent: Thursday, December 16, 2021 7:43 PM
Subject: [TechTalk] gmail messages going to trash in thunderbird

Hi all,

Messages that I get from a sports headlines site were going to my inbox
in thunderbird until recently, but now they're all going to trash and to
my knowledge I didn't do anything to cause this.

It's going to be a big undertaking to go through my trash and find all
of these messages because I never empty my trash, plus I'm pretty sure
that everything I receive from the site doesn't all come from the same
address, but if I manage to send at least a few messages from each
address back to my inbox does anybody know if the new messages I receive
will eventually end up showing up back in my inbox again after a while?

Btw I went to gmail.com and looked at my created filters, and none of
them are related to the missing messages.

Thanks.

Troy

Troy Burnham

Gene,

The messages are presumably going to my trash and not to spam. I get 2 or 3 different kinds of messages from this site and that's why I don't think they all come from the same address, and I've been able to find a few messages in my trash but I haven't started looking for all of them in depth yet.

Troy

Sent: Thursday, December 16, 2021 7:43 PM

Hi all,

Messages that I get from a sports headlines site were going to my inbox
in thunderbird until recently, but now they're all going to trash and to
my knowledge I didn't do anything to cause this.

It's going to be a big undertaking to go through my trash and find all
of these messages because I never empty my trash, plus I'm pretty sure
that everything I receive from the site doesn't all come from the same
address, but if I manage to send at least a few messages from each
address back to my inbox does anybody know if the new messages I receive
will eventually end up showing up back in my inbox again after a while?

Btw I went to gmail.com and looked at my created filters, and none of
them are related to the missing messages.

Thanks.

Troy

Gene

I was thinking they were going to spam.  I’m not sure why they are going to trash.  I don’t think telling GMail to move messages from trash to the inbox would change where new messages go.  Are you using a pop3 account in your e-mail program or an IMAP account.  There may be other reasons I don’t know, but the only reason I can think of for the messages going to trash is that a POP3 account is doing something it shouldn’t or perhaps that the spam filter in Thunderbird itself is sending them to trash which is causing the web site to move them to trash.  But the first question is whether you are using a POP3 account.

Sent: Thursday, December 16, 2021 7:43 PM

Hi all,

Messages that I get from a sports headlines site were going to my inbox
in thunderbird until recently, but now they're all going to trash and to
my knowledge I didn't do anything to cause this.

It's going to be a big undertaking to go through my trash and find all
of these messages because I never empty my trash, plus I'm pretty sure
that everything I receive from the site doesn't all come from the same
address, but if I manage to send at least a few messages from each
address back to my inbox does anybody know if the new messages I receive
will eventually end up showing up back in my inbox again after a while?

Btw I went to gmail.com and looked at my created filters, and none of
them are related to the missing messages.

Thanks.

Troy

Troy Burnham

I'm using an imap account.

I may've inadvertently done something that caused the messages from these addresses, if there are more than one address that is, to start going into my trash but if I did I don't know what I did.

Troy

Sent: Thursday, December 16, 2021 7:43 PM

Hi all,

Messages that I get from a sports headlines site were going to my inbox
in thunderbird until recently, but now they're all going to trash and to
my knowledge I didn't do anything to cause this.

It's going to be a big undertaking to go through my trash and find all
of these messages because I never empty my trash, plus I'm pretty sure
that everything I receive from the site doesn't all come from the same
address, but if I manage to send at least a few messages from each
address back to my inbox does anybody know if the new messages I receive
will eventually end up showing up back in my inbox again after a while?

Btw I went to gmail.com and looked at my created filters, and none of
them are related to the missing messages.

Thanks.

Troy

Gene

If you are using an IMAP account, I’m not sure what is causing the behavior.  It isn’t just something you can do such as pressing a key.  I would suggest, however, that you turn off spam filtering in Thunderbird in case the program itself is causing the problem.

Go into the settings for your account.  I’ll tell you how if you don’t know and ask.
Turn off the virtual pc cursor or browse mode, different names for the same thing, depending on the screen-reader you are using.  I’ll explain how if you ask.
You should be in the right place to down arrow and hear different categories announced.
Down arrow many times to something like junk settings.
Start tabbing.  You will get to a check box concerning using filtering or junk filtering.  I’m not sure of the wording.
Uncheck it with the space bar if it is checked.
Close settings with control f4.  That isn’t an error.  Use control f4 not alt f4.

Sent: Thursday, December 16, 2021 7:43 PM

Hi all,

Messages that I get from a sports headlines site were going to my inbox
in thunderbird until recently, but now they're all going to trash and to
my knowledge I didn't do anything to cause this.

It's going to be a big undertaking to go through my trash and find all
of these messages because I never empty my trash, plus I'm pretty sure
that everything I receive from the site doesn't all come from the same
address, but if I manage to send at least a few messages from each
address back to my inbox does anybody know if the new messages I receive
will eventually end up showing up back in my inbox again after a while?

Btw I went to gmail.com and looked at my created filters, and none of
them are related to the missing messages.

Thanks.

Troy

Troy Burnham

Thanks Gene I think I got it done. There was no okay button right?

Troy

Sent: Thursday, December 16, 2021 7:43 PM

Hi all,

Messages that I get from a sports headlines site were going to my inbox
in thunderbird until recently, but now they're all going to trash and to
my knowledge I didn't do anything to cause this.

It's going to be a big undertaking to go through my trash and find all
of these messages because I never empty my trash, plus I'm pretty sure
that everything I receive from the site doesn't all come from the same
address, but if I manage to send at least a few messages from each
address back to my inbox does anybody know if the new messages I receive
will eventually end up showing up back in my inbox again after a while?

Btw I went to gmail.com and looked at my created filters, and none of
them are related to the missing messages.

Thanks.

Troy

Gene

There is no ok button.

I’ll be curious if turning off filtering solves the problem.  My guess is that it will, but we’ll see.  I think Thunderbird ssends spam to trash in the program and using an IMAP account, my guess is that doing so sends it to trash in GMail as well.