From: Fanus
Sent: Sunday, August 30, 2020 12:58 PM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io
Subject: [TechTalk] GoldWave: how to make mono file stereo

Hello List
I asked this question some time ago but due to a harddrive problem I lost
the answer and I can not remember who answered me, so can someone please
help? I think it was something like opening the file in two GoldWave windows
and then combining the two and then using the stereo item in the effects
menu but I can not remember the exact steps.
Regards
Fanus

https://www.avg.com

Damien Garwood

Hi Fanus,
It depends what you mean by making a mono file stereo.
If you mean changing the format to support stereo editing, then you need to resave the file as a stereo file (file, save as, then click on the attributes button and select the format from there). This will allow you to use stereo-based effects like panning, stereo echoes and reverb and so on.
If you then want to extend that to attempting to give it a stereo sound, there are several methods you can do to accomplish this but they are all what I call "fake stereo" (making use of auditory illusions and trickery), and so I wouldn't recommend it at all.
Cheers,
Damien.

On 30/08/2020 05:58 pm, Fanus wrote:
Hello List
I asked this question some time ago but due to a harddrive problem I lost
the answer and I can not remember who answered me, so can someone please
help? I think it was something like opening the file in two GoldWave windows
and then combining the two and then using the stereo item in the effects
menu but I can not remember the exact steps.
Regards
Fanus

Fanus

Hello Pam
As I said, I can't remember who explained it but those steps definitely made
the file stereo. The way I do it currently is to select one channel, insert
a split second at the beginning and then select both channels. It sounds
quite better but the results from the steps that someone gave sounded even
better and why would goldwave have such an item if it wouldn't work?
Regards
Fanus

That will just make the file take up twice as much room. If it is mono, it
won't make it stereo. Pam.

I asked this question some time ago but due to a harddrive problem I lost
the answer and I can not remember who answered me, so can someone please
help? I think it was something like opening the file in two GoldWave windows
and then combining the two and then using the stereo item in the effects
menu but I can not remember the exact steps.
Regards
Fanus

https://www.avg.com

Pamela Dominguez

I don't know; because if the track was actually recorded in mono, there is no way you can really turn it into stereo. Pam.

That will just make the file take up twice as much room. If it is mono, it
won't make it stereo. Pam.

I asked this question some time ago but due to a harddrive problem I lost
the answer and I can not remember who answered me, so can someone please
help? I think it was something like opening the file in two GoldWave windows
and then combining the two and then using the stereo item in the effects
menu but I can not remember the exact steps.
Regards
Fanus

https://www.avg.com

Damien Garwood

Hi Fanus,
The channel delay technique you are talking about is an illusionary trick. It may make the file sound stereo to your ears, but then try turning it back into mono and playing it. It'll sound all tinny and horrible, because of the way the channels are mixed.
Cheers,
Damien.

On 30/08/2020 06:41 pm, Fanus wrote:
[...]

Hello Damien
Thanks much. I bought a very old song via iTunes and I want to let it sound a bit better. For my ears my method of inserting silence in one of the channels makes it sound quite a bit better for such an old recording.
[...]

As I say, it will sound better to your ears. But then try turning it back into mono and listening to the result. My point is, if you try listening to that conversion on a mono device, such as a phone or smartspeaker or whatever...Well. Do the test and see for yourself. If it sounds OK at that point...Well, there's your method.
Also, be aware that ITunes sells a lot of its stuff in a lossy compression format, meaning you lose quality from the original recording. Editing a file and resaving it will lose even more quality.
Cheers,
Damien.