Google has disabled one of my email accounts

Loy

I have two gmail accounts that I have been accessing with a less secure app on one of my computers. Earlier I created an app password for one account but not for the other one. Now I can't access  that one with the less secure app. But I can on the  other computer that has Outlook. I tried to go into setting security for that account to create n app password but it seems that is no longer available. Is anyone  else experiencing this?

Kay Malmquist

I’m having a problem with both of my Gmail accounts and it is only on a XP machine. They must’ve change something because I cannot get into that account even though I know everything is correct and I have not changed anything either. I hope somebody can tell me what I need to do to fix it. I can access the same account on my iPhone.

Kay Malmquist
kay.malmquist@...

On Jun 2, 2022, at 10:43 AM, Loy <loyrg2845@...> wrote:

I have two gmail accounts that I have been accessing with a less secure app on one of my computers. Earlier I created an app password for one account but not for the other one. Now I can't access  that one with the less secure app. But I can on the  other computer that has Outlook. I tried to go into setting security for that account to create n app password but it seems that is no longer available. Is anyone  else experiencing this?

Carolyn Arnold

Yep, happened this morning - boo'oo'oo!

I have two gmail accounts that I have been accessing with a
less secure app on one of my computers. Earlier I created an
app password for one account but not for the other one. Now
I can't access that one with the less secure app. But I can
on the other computer that has Outlook. I tried to go into
setting security for that account to create n app password
but it seems that is no longer available. Is anyone else
experiencing this?

Andy

Google announced a few weeks ago that they would be introducing a new verivication scheme that would have the result of rendering most 3rd party applications that sign into google basically useless.
This is why your newer version of Outlook works because it can interface with that new verification scheme.
Of course, they say that they are doing it for security reasons.

Andy

I have two gmail accounts that I have been accessing with a
less secure app on one of my computers. Earlier I created an
app password for one account but not for the other one. Now
I can't access that one with the less secure app. But I can
on the other computer that has Outlook. I tried to go into
setting security for that account to create n app password
but it seems that is no longer available. Is anyone else
experiencing this?

Kay Malmquist

So does that mean that we are out of luck if were using an older machine that can’t handle the newer version of Outlook or are all Outlook express users out of luck? Anybody know if there’s a workaround for this?

Kay Malmquist
kay.malmquist@...

----- Original Message ----- From: "Carolyn Arnold" <4carolyna@...>
I have two gmail accounts that I have been accessing with a
less secure app on one of my computers. Earlier I created an
app password for one account but not for the other one. Now
I can't access  that one with the less secure app. But I can
on the  other computer that has Outlook. I tried to go into
setting security for that account to create n app password
but it seems that is no longer available. Is anyone  else
experiencing this?

Loy

It looks like those of us who did not create app passwords for our gmail accounts will have to use Outlook later versions or TB or some other email clients that allows us to sign in with google. I have emailed google accessible help to see if there is a way to create a app password now.

[...]

My workaround for now is to access my Gmail accounts on my iPhone.

Andy

I have two gmail accounts that I have been accessing with a
less secure app on one of my computers. Earlier I created an
app password for one account but not for the other one. Now
I can't access  that one with the less secure app. But I can
on the  other computer that has Outlook. I tried to go into
setting security for that account to create n app password
but it seems that is no longer available. Is anyone  else
experiencing this?

Kay Malmquist

What is that email? Unfortunately, the phone works, but I have a bunch of folders that I put my emails into in my other computer. I do not use IMAP so these folders are not on my iPhone. This really kind of sucks! I hope there is some kind of a way that we can fix this.

Kay Malmquist
kay.malmquist@...

On Jun 2, 2022, at 11:55 AM, Andy <wq6r@...> wrote:

My workaround for now is to access my Gmail accounts on my iPhone.

Andy

I have two gmail accounts that I have been accessing with a
less secure app on one of my computers. Earlier I created an
app password for one account but not for the other one. Now
I can't access  that one with the less secure app. But I can
on the  other computer that has Outlook. I tried to go into
setting security for that account to create n app password
but it seems that is no longer available. Is anyone  else
experiencing this?

Gene

In security, there is a heading that says sign into Google.  If you down arrow from there, you will find a link that says something like sign in with Application specific password.

Gene

On 6/2/2022 10:43 AM, Loy wrote:
I have two gmail accounts that I have been accessing with a less secure app on one of my computers. Earlier I created an app password for one account but not for the other one. Now I can't access  that one with the less secure app. But I can on the  other computer that has Outlook. I tried to go into setting security for that account to create n app password but it seems that is no longer available. Is anyone  else experiencing this?

Loy

I found by searching Google for Google accessible help.

Gene

Do you mean you can't sign in online?

Gene

On 6/2/2022 11:27 AM, Kay Malmquist wrote:
[...]

Yes, but what does application specific password actually mean? And where are you supposed to get an application specific password?

Kay Malmquist
kay.malmquist@...

On Jun 2, 2022, at 12:22 PM, Gene <gsasner@...> wrote:

[...]

I am using Outlook express and I can’t access my Gmail account from there. I don’t know if I can sign in online or not. I will give that a shot and see, but even if I can, that’s not going to help my problem on my XP machine. I realize it’s old, but until I really figure out what’s going on with the laptop that I have and a couple of other side machines, it’s what I’m using.

[...]

This was perhaps two months ago or longer that those using the less secure access setting were notified by Google by e-mail and it isn't a new verification scheme.  All Google did is to turn off less secure access on any account that uses it.  Newer programs or versions of programs don't need to use less secure access and if you weren't using it, you will not have to do anything.  Access will continue as before.

If you are currently using less secure access, you have to use an application specific password for programs or devices that are too old and that you have been using the less secure access setting in your google account with previously.

The change was made to increase security.  Now, if you use an application specific password, you  can sign into the specific thing it is fore, your Gmail for example.  If someone gets your application specific password who isn't supposed to have it, they can sign into your GMail with an e-mail program and have access to your mail, but they can't use the user specific password to do anything else.

They can't sign into your account using the application specific password online and the only thing the application specific password can be used for is to sign in to your GMail.

Gene

On 6/2/2022 11:38 AM, Andy wrote:
[...]

.

Loy

Couldn't  sign in with a less secure app. But I just went into my google account and set up two step verification and then was able to create an app password.

[...]

If you can't sign in using your browser to the web site, that has nothing to do with application specific passwords.  It may be that Google no longer allows Windows XP to have access to accounts.

Years ago, Send Space did that.  If you can't sign into your account with your browser, then it may be time to finally upgrade to Windows 10.

Do you use an e-mail program with XP?  If so, I have no idea if you can create an application specific password using your IPhone, then use it with your e-mail program using XP.  If you cant' sign in with a browser using XP, since you still can using your IPhone, that may be a way to do this.

Gene

On 6/2/2022 12:27 PM, Kay Malmquist wrote:
[...]

It will solve your problem if you create an application specific password and use it with Outlook Express.  Your first message made it sound as though you couldn't sign in with a browser.  Evidently, you can and if you can, you need to get an application specific password and use it in Outlook Express.

Gene

On 6/2/2022 12:29 PM, Kay Malmquist wrote:
[...]

i'm in a similar situation. I'm not about to shell out for a new PC just so I can access my Gmail accounts.
This is one thing that I can't stand about Windows and why I'm considering a mac.

Andy

[...]

For whatever reason, justified or not, it is a pain in the
anatomy as far as I am concerned.

I have two gmail accounts that I have been accessing with a
less secure app on one of my computers. Earlier I created an
app password for one account but not for the other one. Now
I can't access that one with the less secure app. But I can
on the other computer that has Outlook. I tried to go into
setting security for that account to create n app password
but it seems that is no longer available. Is anyone else
experiencing this?

Carolyn Arnold

The problem is, I would look into getting Thunderbird, learn what to do, set up my approximately 20 mailboxes and message rules, but, eventually, probably there would be some kind of annoying update problem with it.

I have a rotten attitude about it, but have emailed since 2004, and have not been imposed on by these snags.