Sent: Saturday, October 09, 2021 3:51 PM
Subject: [TechTalk] google standard view, I hate it!

Hello,

Can someone tell me how to do the following:

1. get two of my gmail accounts out of standard view (which google saw fit to get them into today) without my consent
2. Ensure that this does not happen again.

I was able to hit although it vanishes within five seconds at most the basic html link but it didn't do any good.
Thanks.
Dave.

David Mehler

Hello,

Thanks, I'm not seeing a make basic html view default as I have in the
past. I got to basic by going to a microsoft article and clicking on
the link that said basic html view, but am not seeing anything to make
this a permanent change, so when I log out I'm right back to square
one.

Thanks.
Dave.

If the basic HTML link didn’t change the view, you may have to turn JAVA
scripts off in your browser, then go to your GMail accounts. If you want to
try this, let us know. I’ll discuss the question further if you want to try
it.

If JAVA scripts are off, GMail should automatically use the simple HTML
view. In your case, we can see if that is what it does.

Can someone tell me how to do the following:

1. get two of my gmail accounts out of standard view (which google saw fit
to get them into today) without my consent
2. Ensure that this does not happen again.

I was able to hit although it vanishes within five seconds at most the basic
html link but it didn't do any good.
Thanks.
Dave.

Gene

I vaguely recall such a link.  I found it one time, but aside from that I never looked for it again until you mentioned it.  Use the link that opens your GMail in Basic HTML view.  Then, make a bookmark of the ;page.  When you follow the bookmark, your GMail will open in Basic HTML.

Sent: Saturday, October 09, 2021 4:48 PM
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] google standard view, I hate it!

On 10/9/21, Gene <gsasner@...> wrote:
> If the basic HTML link didn’t change the view, you may have to turn JAVA
> scripts off in your browser, then go to your GMail accounts.  If you want to
> try this, let us know.  I’ll discuss the question further if you want to try
> it.
>
> If JAVA scripts are off, GMail should automatically use the simple HTML
> view.  In your case, we can see if that is what it does.
>
> Gene

Abbie Taylor

Hi, David, actually, I find Gmail standard view more efficient than basic html view. The trick with NVDA or JAWS is to keep it in forms mode when browsing the message list. Once in this mode, there are a variety of keyboard shortcuts to perform certain functions.

When you find a message you want to open, press Enter. You can delete a message from the list by selecting it with the X key, then pressing Shift plus 3, the number sign. You can select and delete multiple messages this way. Pressing the applications key once a message is selected opens a context menu where you'll find such options as replying to, forwarding, and moving the message.

When a message is open, you can have your speech read it automatically by pressing N. In conversation view, this shortcut navigates you from one message to the next. To reply, press R. To reply to all, press A. To delete the message, press the number sign. To move it, press V.

To compose a new message, press C. If you type the first few letters of the recipient's name or email address, it should come up. To CC somebody, press Control plus Shift plus C To BCC somebody, press Shift plus Control plus B. To attach a file, simply tab until you hear, "Attach files."

Please keep in mind that the keyboard shortcuts I just gave you only work when you're in forms mode. If you toggle to browse mode, you can navigate by headings, links, etc. You'll find a complete list of keyboard shortcuts by pressing a button that says, "Using Gmail with Screen Readers," located near the top of the page while you're in the message list. I hope all this is helpful.

http://www.abbiejohnsontaylor.com

abbietaylor945@...

Blaster

Just a note about the option to set the basic view as the default
view. I did find out how to make that option pop up, but when pressed
it didn't make the basic view the default view, which makes me think
that the option has been phased out. To try this yourself you need to

Press the button to go into basic view.
Press the button to go to standard view.
Press the button to go into basic view and now the option to make the
basic view your default view appears on the page.

Also, If your in G-Mail in standard view and then paste this link into
the URL location textbox, the page will refresh into the basic view. I
saved this to my bookmarks and a notepad.

https://mail.google.com/mail/u/0/h/1pq68r75kzvdr/?v%3Dlui

The writing is on the wall and the basic view may not be around for
ever, so I've copied Abby's directions and will start getting used to
the new layout.
HTH,
Blaster

I vaguely recall such a link. I found it one time, but aside from that I
never looked for it again until you mentioned it. Use the link that opens
your GMail in Basic HTML view. Then, make a bookmark of the ;page. When
you follow the bookmark, your GMail will open in Basic HTML.

Can someone tell me how to do the following:

1. get two of my gmail accounts out of standard view (which google saw
fit
to get them into today) without my consent
2. Ensure that this does not happen again.

I was able to hit although it vanishes within five seconds at most the
basic
html link but it didn't do any good.
Thanks.
Dave.

valiant8086

So I'm new to the list and don't know how much context I'm missing without making more effort to find out than I want to make. But I'm ok with Google's standard gmail view. Turn your virtual cursor off, for NVDA you pretty much just hit caps lock+space or insert+space and for JAWS you generally do best just to use insert or caps lock and the z key. now treat gmail like it's a standard desktop app by arrowing and tabbing. The only thing I'm not sure how to get to work more nicely is when I press enter to open a message. I'd have to turn the virtual curser back on with insert or caps lock +z, read it and then either use escape or ctrl+w to close it if I remember rightly. There are many keystrokes that will work if the virtual cursor is off to help you bounce around, like if I remember correctl g then i or was it g then n, will go to the inbox. You can press x on each message that you want to select. So select a bunch and then press # the number sigh (shift+3) to delete them all at once. Type a question mark and then  turn the virtual cursor back on to read a list of many keyboard shortcuts.

--
cheers:
Aaron Spears AKA Valiant8086 - General Partner Valiant Galaxy Associates. "We make *very good audiogames* for the blind comunity" http://valiantGalaxy.com

Allen West

I don't know when you last tried to press the link for HTML View, but
earlier today, it was not working. It is working now. In fact, I just
logged onto Gmail and it automatically put me in HTML View.
Allen

On 10/9/21, David Mehler <dave.mehler@gmail.com> wrote:
Hello,

Can someone tell me how to do the following:

1. get two of my gmail accounts out of standard view (which google saw fit
to get them into today) without my consent
2. Ensure that this does not happen again.

I was able to hit although it vanishes within five seconds at most the
basic html link but it didn't do any good.
Thanks.
Dave.

Gene

From the error message displayed earlier, the problem appeared to be temporary.  I don't think people need worry about the simple view being eliminated.  The make default link hasn't worked for awhile but the simple view is still available.  Also, on the standard view web page, it says the simple HTML view is for those with slow connections.  Given all the people who use GMail worldwide and all the different ways they connect, I don't think there is a reason to worry about the service.

Gene

On 10/12/2021 8:42 PM, Allen West wrote:
I don't know when you last tried to press the link for HTML View, but
earlier today, it was not working. It is working now. In fact, I just
logged onto Gmail and it automatically put me in HTML View.
Allen

On 10/9/21, David Mehler <dave.mehler@gmail.com> wrote:
Hello,

Can someone tell me how to do the following:

1. get two of my gmail accounts out of standard view (which google saw fit
to get them into today) without my consent
2. Ensure that this does not happen again.

I was able to hit although it vanishes within five seconds at most the
basic html link but it didn't do any good.
Thanks.
Dave.

heather albright

Oh, thank you for this link. I like the old view too. I think google should not change how some one reads mail, it should be a user option. But this link allowed me to change it back to what I was using before. I also saved the link.

Cheers  Heather

Sent from Mail for Windows