Topics

Has anyone ever seen anything as sick as this? I am now seeking advice on PC Security

James Bentley

Hi all,

This is the worst Phishing/attempt at blackmail that I have ever received via email.  I have pasted the crap email at the bottom of this post.

After viewing this email, I went in to device manager on all of my PC’s and first, disabled all cameras and mics.  Then I uninstalled the devices.

My important 2 questions for those of you who are familiar with PC security is:  Can Windows updates reenable these devices?  And, Is Windows Security enough?

Now, Nothing in this email is true.  And, even if it was, I do not have an extra $500, laying around for every sick creep who tries to trick me in to sending them money.

Are people actually sending this filthy *** $500?  If he/she sent out 10,000 emails and, only 1% of the recipients responded with the $500, bucks.  The creep has made $50,000.

By-the-way, the email that I received was text only.  It contained no attachments.

Ok, here comes the crap!

*Hello!

I am a hacker who has access to your operating system.

I also have full access to your account.

I've been watching you for a few months now.

The fact is that you were infected with malware through an adult site that you visited.

If you are not familiar with this, I will explain.

Trojan Virus gives me full access and control over a computer or other device.

This means that I can see everything on your screen, turn on the camera and microphone, but you do not know about it.

I also have access to all your contacts and all your correspondence.

Why your antivirus did not detect malware?

Answer: My malware uses the driver, I update its signatures every 4 hours so that your antivirus is silent.

I made a video showing how you satisfy yourself in the left half of the screen, and in the right half you see the video that you watched.

With one click of the mouse, I can send this video to all your emails and contacts on social networks.

I can also post access to all your e-mail correspondence and messengers that you use.

If you want to prevent this,

transfer the amount of $500 to my bitcoin address (if you do not know how to do this, write to Google: "Buy Bitcoin").

My bitcoin address (BTC Wallet) is:  1AfwxZ8nYzwEzME39PuqVZU7Mn73XxQTqq

After receiving the payment, I will delete the video and you will never hear me again.

I give you 50 hours (more than 2 days) to pay.

I have a notice reading this letter, and the timer will work when you see this letter.

Filing a complaint somewhere does not make sense because this email cannot be tracked like my bitcoin address.

I do not make any mistakes.

If I find that you have shared this message with someone else, the video will be immediately distributed.

Best regards!

goshawk on horseback

I have also had a few of these sorts of sick e-mails. it is clear that it is some opportunist trying his/her luck, for the following reasons:
1, I don't ever visit such sites.
2, I don't have a camera hooked to my computer, and being a desktop, it hasn't got one built in.
and 3, the only mics hooked to my computer run through a mixing desk, require phantom power to work, (which I keep switched off when not actually using them), and the faders on the desk to be turned up, (which again, are down when not using the mics).

Simon

[...]

Brent Harding

I've gotten a lot of these for months now. I don't think anything ever came of them, so they are just another level of phishing scam. Some of them did have old passwords mentioned in them, but that kind of thing could've been gotten from breaches of sites like Yahoo, that got a lot of people. I don't think the real malware people who put this stuff on people's machine would usually announce it and announce the passwords they have before they do something like encrypting the files or something of that nature. I ended up retiring the use of any of those passwords that showed up in subject lines just to be safe though.

[...]

Steve Matzura

If you haven't heard this yet, may I be the first. Reach for the DELETE key, tap it, and have a nice day.

On 11/26/2019 6:04 AM, James Bentley wrote:

[...]

Ann Parsons

Hi all,

Suggest that you update your security settings. Also, suggest that you or your computer guru take a look at your firewall settings and increase them another notch. You may want to change your passwords for anything important.

Of course this is spam, I'd send it to your ISP and also if the sender's email address gives its domain, send the message there too.

Ann P.

--
Ann K. Parsons
Portal Tutoring

"All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost."

James Bentley

I have already done or am in the process of doing all of what you suggested
plus I have already uninstalled all mics and cameras. I never use them
anyway.

I Googled around a bit and discovered that various versions of this same
email has been floating around for a while.

I haven't had any computer viruses or any reason to suspect any problems in
a very long time. And, of course, this is just spam.

But, What this experience did for me is just to remind me that there are
individuals who will try to get away with anything including hacking in to a
strangers PC if possible.

So, I am now reminded to take extra precaution.

Thanks for your security suggestions.

Cheers,

James B

Suggest that you update your security settings. Also, suggest that you
or your computer guru take a look at your firewall settings and
increase them another notch. You may want to change your passwords for
anything important.

Of course this is spam, I'd send it to your ISP and also if the
sender's email address gives its domain, send the message there too.

Ann P.

--
Ann K. Parsons
Portal Tutoring
EMAIL: akp@...
Skype: Putertutor

"All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost."

Sharon S

Hi, I got a message similar to this today for the first time. As I know none of what is said is true I just deleted it and moved on.

The difference with mine was they said that they had access through my router instead of a site I access but besides that it was pretty much the same.

There are many people out there that would believe this sort of message so would pay up so this is why they keep trying.

Bye for now.

From Shaz.

Canberra, Australia.

[...]

I can’t help but wonder if these people are really making money out of junk like this.  If so, how much?

Just curious,

James B

Hi, I got a message similar to this today for the first time. As I know none of what is said is true I just deleted it and moved on.

The difference with mine was they said that they had access through my router instead of a site I access but besides that it was pretty much the same.

There are many people out there that would believe this sort of message so would pay up so this is why they keep trying.

Bye for now.

From Shaz.

Canberra, Australia.

[...]

lynn white

Oh, I've heard from this creep all right.  As steve says, hit the delete key.

On 11/26/2019 7:47 AM, Steve Matzura wrote:

[...]

I would like to delete the actual person.

James B

[...]

Pamela Dominguez

Wouldn’t that be nice!  Pam.

Sent: Tuesday, November 26, 2019 12:24 PM

[...]

chris judge

I've gotten this too, and it was in spite of corprit level security. Here's
my response to anything like this. Anyone crazy enough to fall for this with
all the hype about this type of scam these days, is pretty much asking for
it. If you did, indeed, participate in the activities suggested by this
post, shame on you, and you deserve a little bump in the pocket book. If, as
the majority of us, would never participate in such activities, are still
crazy enough to send money to an anonymous person, well, as I said, you're
crazy, lol.

Suggest that you update your security settings. Also, suggest that you or
your computer guru take a look at your firewall settings and increase them
another notch. You may want to change your passwords for anything
important.

Of course this is spam, I'd send it to your ISP and also if the sender's
email address gives its domain, send the message there too.

Ann P.

--
Ann K. Parsons
Portal Tutoring
EMAIL: akp@...
Skype: Putertutor

"All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost."

Gene

This has nothing to do with security.  it may be that spam filters intercept many such messages but nothing can intercept everything.  I saw it suggested to improve security and perhaps other actions, I'm not sure what was suggested now.  Receiving such a message doesn't mean you have to do anything.  If your security is insufficient, it should be improved anyway.  These messages are sent out by the millions, who nows, perhaps over time, the billions.  I got one or two a while ago.  My account wasn't hacked, my spam filter was set to a generally effective level, but I got them anyway.  They are in a well known category of messages called sextortion.  It would be a good idea to follow, even if it means just reading an article here and there, from a technology news aggrigator such as the Komando technology newsletter which discusses major frauds and scams as they begin to circulate widely.  Phishing schemes are increasingly sophisticated and even take in some experienced and knowledgeable people.  It is important to be informed about schemes.

Suggest that you update your security settings.  Also, suggest that you or
your computer guru take a look at your firewall settings and increase them
another notch.  You may want to change your passwords for anything
important.

Of course this is spam, I'd send it to your ISP and also if the sender's
email address gives its domain, send the message there too.

Ann P.

--
Ann K. Parsons
Portal Tutoring
EMAIL:  akp@...
Skype: Putertutor

"All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost."

James Bentley

My post made it clear that I did not participate in any of the activities
that the so-called hacker suggested.

Furthermore, I also made it clear that I did not fall for any thing. Nor
did I ever consider sending money to this jerk.

Chris, Where are you coming from with your use of the wordsed shame and
crazy?

While the whole experience for me was quite distasteful, I did gain one
benefit. I realized that I need to pay more attention to my PC security.
That is the only reason that I requested information concerning computer
security even though in this particular case, my security was never actually
compromized. .

Thanks to Ann and others who posted suggestions without asserting any
negative comments concerning my character.

James B

Suggest that you update your security settings. Also, suggest that you or
your computer guru take a look at your firewall settings and increase them
another notch. You may want to change your passwords for anything
important.

Of course this is spam, I'd send it to your ISP and also if the sender's
email address gives its domain, send the message there too.

Ann P.

--
Ann K. Parsons
Portal Tutoring
EMAIL: akp@...
Skype: Putertutor

"All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost."

Gene

The security suggestions are irrelevant as far as receiving such a message is concerned.  the firewall settings are irrelevant.  The firewall keeps your computer from being seen by bots that look for exposed ports.  If they don't see your computer ports, to a bot, your computer doesn't exist.  a firewall keeps your computer from being attacked just because it is online.  If you didn't have a firewall bots could probe for ports and if they found yours, they could place malware on your system just because you are connected.  None of your programs like your browser would need to be running.  Your default firewall settings should be fine and routers usually have their own firewall as well and their default settings are probably fine.

You don't need to change passwords or do anything else becaquse you received this message.  You were sent a piece of spam that caught your attention and got through whatever spam filters are being used.  That is all that happened.

If your security is deficient, if you are using an inadequate antimalware program, for example, that is something to consider, but receiving this message says nothing about your security.

As for the other response, I think that was intended as humor.

Suggest that you update your security settings.  Also, suggest that you or
your computer guru take a look at your firewall settings and increase them
another notch.  You may want to change your passwords for anything
important.

Of course this is spam, I'd send it to your ISP and also if the sender's
email address gives its domain, send the message there too.

Ann P.

--
Ann K. Parsons
Portal Tutoring
EMAIL:  akp@...
Skype: Putertutor

"All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost."

Kerryann Ifill

Good morning,
Could you guys suggest a good antivirus package that is screen reader friendly for installation?
Thank you

Kerryann F.. Ifill

On 26 Nov 2019, at 9:16 PM, Gene <gsasner@...> wrote:

[...]

If you are currently using Windows Defender or, in Windows 7 Microsoft Security Essentials, which is essentially the same program, they had bad reputations a few years ago but now are well regardedd.  I don't know what other programs are accessible now.

Many people run Windows Defender in combination with Malware Bytes.  They use the paid version of Malware Bytes if they want active protection and the free version if they just want to scan their computer from time to time.

I don't know if Windows 8 uses the Windows 10 version of Windows Defender or Microsoft Security Essentials.  Also, the Windows Defender available for Windows 7 is a different program than the Windows 10 version and is inferior.

Gene

Suggest that you update your security settings.  Also, suggest that you or
your computer guru take a look at your firewall settings and increase them
another notch.  You may want to change your passwords for anything
important.

Of course this is spam, I'd send it to your ISP and also if the sender's
email address gives its domain, send the message there too.

Ann P.

--
Ann K. Parsons
Portal Tutoring
EMAIL:  akp@...
Skype: Putertutor

"All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost."

chris judge

I didn't say you did. Read it again. I said that anyone who participates in
this kind of activity ot to be ashamed, just my opinion, and if you don't
participate in these kinds of activities, you are crazy to give money. I
wasn't pointing the finger at anyone.

Suggest that you update your security settings. Also, suggest that you or
your computer guru take a look at your firewall settings and increase them
another notch. You may want to change your passwords for anything
important.

Of course this is spam, I'd send it to your ISP and also if the sender's
email address gives its domain, send the message there too.

Ann P.

--
Ann K. Parsons
Portal Tutoring
EMAIL: akp@...
Skype: Putertutor

"All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost."

chris judge

Thanks Gene, nice to see someone who can read between lines lol.