Topics

Headphones Do not Enable When using Multipurpose Jack

Rob Hudson

This laptop I have is equipped with one of those jacks that are supposed to include both a headphone and microphone component in one jack.
However, when I plug in a set of headphones, they do not enable; instead, sound still comes from the laptop speaker.
I unticked the box that says, allow devices to take exclusive control over this device, box in properties. Unplugged and replugged the headphones.
No luck.
I disabled sound enhancements--although that likely wasn't the cause.
No luck of course.
Realtek Drivers are updated.
Nothing.
Is there a fix for this?

Rob Hudson

I think I solved it.
In my device manager, I found two entries:
Intel® Smart Sound Technology (Intel® SST)
Intel(R) Display Audio
I turned these off, restarted, and I seem to have my headphone jack back again.

This laptop I have is equipped with one of those jacks that are supposed to include both a headphone and microphone component in one jack.
However, when I plug in a set of headphones, they do not enable; instead, sound still comes from the laptop speaker.
I unticked the box that says, allow devices to take exclusive control over this device, box in properties. Unplugged and replugged the headphones.
No luck.
I disabled sound enhancements--although that likely wasn't the cause.
No luck of course.
Realtek Drivers are updated.
Nothing.
Is there a fix for this?

Gene

Perhaps, and it may not have been for this problem, but I've seen a lot of complaints about combination jacks. You may need to solve the problem by purchasing an external sound card or USB headphones.

This laptop I have is equipped with one of those jacks that are supposed to include both a headphone and microphone component in one jack.
However, when I plug in a set of headphones, they do not enable; instead, sound still comes from the laptop speaker.
I unticked the box that says, allow devices to take exclusive control over this device, box in properties. Unplugged and replugged the headphones.
No luck.
I disabled sound enhancements--although that likely wasn't the cause.
No luck of course.
Realtek Drivers are updated.
Nothing.
Is there a fix for this?

Carolyn Arnold

That happened to my 12-year-old Bose speakers, which I gave
to Jim, replaced with Logitech and connected again. For
years mine worked, but it quit, and that is frustrating to
have a headset connected, yet the sound blares out of the
speakers.