Help! I can't get to my lower level files.

Nancy Hill

My win10 laptop's desktop is set up with a number of folders on it.  The main folder that I use is Documents.  For a looong time in that folder has been a folder that was called zip and when I entered on it, that would open to a set of 9 lower folders which range from Books to Nancy to TV.  In those folders I store just about anything relating to the subject of the folder.

I don't know how I did it, but my 'zip button/folder that I used to access the area of my 9 folders has disappeared and I have no clue how to access that lower level of my folders now.

Thoughts and ideas on how to re-establish 'zip' would be greatly appreciated.
What can I do to re-establish the link between my Documents folder via and that precious lower level?

I am distraught.  Please help me regain access to my special files.

nancy

Gene

I don't know what you mean by zip button.  When you open the documents folder, if I understand what you are saying, there was a folder you pressed enter on named zip and that folder isn't showing anymore.  I don't know why.

Did you reboot just in case that solves the problem?

Gene

On 12/3/2022 10:07 PM, Nancy Hill wrote:

My win10 laptop's desktop is set up with a number of folders on it.  The main folder that I use is Documents.  For a looong time in that folder has been a folder that was called zip and when I entered on it, that would open to a set of 9 lower folders which range from Books to Nancy to TV.  In those folders I store just about anything relating to the subject of the folder.

I don't know how I did it, but my 'zip button/folder that I used to access the area of my 9 folders has disappeared and I have no clue how to access that lower level of my folders now.

What can I do to re-establish the link between my Documents folder via and that precious lower level?

nancy

-Mike B

After opening the main folder try using your left and right arrow keys just in case the view menu changed on you some how.

Stay safe & take care.  Mike.

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Saturday, December 03, 2022 9:27 PM
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] Help! I can't get to my lower level files.

I don't know what you mean by zip button. When you open the documents
folder, if I understand what you are saying, there was a folder you
pressed enter on named zip and that folder isn't showing anymore. I
don't know why.

Gene

>
> My win10 laptop's desktop is set up with a number of folders on it.
> The main folder that I use is Documents. For a looong time in that
> folder has been a folder that was called zip and when I entered on it,
> that would open to a set of 9 lower folders which range from Books to
> Nancy to TV. In those folders I store just about anything relating to
> the subject of the folder.
>
> I don't know how I did it, but my 'zip button/folder that I used to
> access the area of my 9 folders has disappeared and I have no clue how
> to access that lower level of my folders now.
>
>
> Thoughts and ideas on how to re-establish 'zip' would be greatly
> appreciated.
> What can I do to re-establish the link between my Documents folder via
> and that precious lower level?
>
> I am distraught. Please help me regain access to my special files.
>
> nancy
>
>
>
>
>
>
>

Brian Tew

One trick you might try. Press windows+r then type in documents and enter.
Documents is one of the many run commands. This way you can see if your files are in the normal win10 documonts folder or in a different documents folder.

Nancy Hill

Gene, yes I rebooted and the folder/link was still not there.

How can I make a folder/link that will open the next layer down with my 9 folders?

12.  Level 3 is there, but what do I need to do to be able to go to the folders on level3 which is the folders below 2?

Thanks,
nancy=On 12/4/2022 12:27 AM, Gene wrote:

I don't know what you mean by zip button.  When you open the documents folder, if I understand what you are saying, there was a folder you pressed enter on named zip and that folder isn't showing anymore.  I don't know why.

Gene

nancy

Nancy Hill

Mike, still no go deeper file to be seen.

Further suggestions also appreciated.

nancy

On 12/4/2022 1:14 AM, -Mike B wrote:

After opening the main folder try using your left and right arrow keys just in case the view menu changed on you some how.

Sent: Saturday, December 03, 2022 9:27 PM

don't know why.

Gene

>
> My win10 laptop's desktop is set up with a number of folders on it.
> The main folder that I use is Documents. For a looong time in that
> folder has been a folder that was called zip and when I entered on it,
> that would open to a set of 9 lower folders which range from Books to
> Nancy to TV. In those folders I store just about anything relating to
> the subject of the folder.
>
> I don't know how I did it, but my 'zip button/folder that I used to
> access the area of my 9 folders has disappeared and I have no clue how
> to access that lower level of my folders now.
>
>
> Thoughts and ideas on how to re-establish 'zip' would be greatly
> appreciated.
> What can I do to re-establish the link between my Documents folder via
> and that precious lower level?
>
> I am distraught. Please help me regain access to my special files.
>
> nancy
>
>
>
>
>
>
>

G Eden

God forbid, the recycle bin needs examination.

Geoff

On 2022-12-04 3:42 p.m., Nancy Hill wrote:

How can I make a folder/link that will open the next layer down with my 9 folders?

12.  Level 3 is there, but what do I need to do to be able to go to the folders on level3 which is the folders below 2?

Thanks,
I don't know what you mean by zip button. When you open the documents folder, if I understand what you are saying, there was a folder you pressed enter on named zip and that folder isn't showing anymore.  I don't know why.

Gene

nancy

Loy

Look in your recycle bin or you could type the name of the folder in the search and see if that can locate it.

To: <main@TechTalk.groups.io>
Sent: Sunday, December 4, 2022 3:42 PM

12. Level 3 is there, but what do I need to do to be able to go to the folders on level3 which is the folders below 2?

Thanks,
I don't know what you mean by zip button. When you open the documents folder, if I understand what you are saying, there was a folder you pressed enter on named zip and that folder isn't showing anymore. I don't know why.

Gene

My win10 laptop's desktop is set up with a number of folders on it. The main folder that I use is Documents. For a looong time in that folder has been a folder that was called zip and when I entered on it, that would open to a set of 9 lower folders which range from Books to Nancy to TV. In those folders I store just about anything relating to the subject of the folder.

I am distraught. Please help me regain access to my special files.

nancy

Nancy Hill

Thanks for mentioning the Recycle bin...unfortunately the bin was emptied before I had a chance to look there.

Thanks anyway!

nancy

On 12/4/2022 3:55 PM, G Eden wrote:
God forbid, the recycle bin needs examination.

Geoff

On 2022-12-04 3:42 p.m., Nancy Hill wrote:

Thanks,
I don't know what you mean by zip button. When you open the documents folder, if I understand what you are saying, there was a folder you pressed enter on named zip and that folder isn't showing anymore.  I don't know why.

Gene

nancy

Gene

I'm not sure what the problem is.  I'll state what you may be describing, but I'm not sure.  There is an item on the desktop named documents.  You can press enter and open it.  But there was a folder named zip that is no longer in the documents folder.

If that is correct or incorrect, let me know.

Gene

On 12/4/2022 2:42 PM, Nancy Hill wrote:

Thanks,

Gene

nancy

Marilyn and Don Bilderback

I have no files in any other level but the first. I do not want to have to search to level 2 or sub folders. I have my files under appropriate folder headings. Kind of like an outline. I save too many files for help with my computing to not have them all arranged in some easy to find order.
When you use too many saved posts, just separate them into relevant topics with differing subjects and leave them all on level one.

This is my option and will seem difficult for someone else. But I never saw any advantage of the sub folders.

As for the recycle bin, it saved my bacon just a couple of days ago. You must have yours set to empty automatically by some chosen number of days. I think this will lead to just the problem you are facing. Sorry. I want to have control of my deleted folders and recycle bin. It is often the catch all that you can go to for getting you out of a jam. I usually delete all when I have 3,000 or so in my deletes. I make sure to remember if anything has occurred important in the last little while so I don't lose some vital post.

With a lot of folders, A quick down arrowing will find the correct one. I can also search using first letter navigation. I thought I would never remember them all, but with use, it is cinchy. Hope you can find your folders.
Marilyn

-----Original Message-----
From: main@TechTalk.groups.io <main@TechTalk.groups.io> On Behalf Of Nancy Hill
Sent: Sunday, December 4, 2022 1:43 PM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io

How can I make a folder/link that will open the next layer down with my
9 folders?

12. Level 3 is there, but what do I need to do to be able to go to the
folders on level3 which is the folders below 2?

Thanks,
don't know why.

Gene

My win10 laptop's desktop is set up with a number of folders on it.
The main folder that I use is Documents. For a looong time in that
folder has been a folder that was called zip and when I entered on
it, that would open to a set of 9 lower folders which range from
Books to Nancy to TV. In those folders I store just about anything
relating to the subject of the folder.

I don't know how I did it, but my 'zip button/folder that I used to
access the area of my 9 folders has disappeared and I have no clue
how to access that lower level of my folders now.

Thoughts and ideas on how to re-establish 'zip' would be greatly
appreciated.
What can I do to re-establish the link between my Documents folder
via and that precious lower level?

nancy

Gene

If you have a folder named music and in that folder there is another folder named The Beatles in which there are files, then you have a subfolder.  I don't know what you are describing by folder headings.

Gene

On 12/4/2022 5:04 PM, Marilyn and Don Bilderback wrote:
I have no files in any other level but the first. I do not want to have to search to level 2 or sub folders. I have my files under appropriate folder headings. Kind of like an outline. I save too many files for help with my computing to not have them all arranged in some easy to find order.
When you use too many saved posts, just separate them into relevant topics with differing subjects and leave them all on level one.

This is my option and will seem difficult for someone else. But I never saw any advantage of the sub folders.

As for the recycle bin, it saved my bacon just a couple of days ago. You must have yours set to empty automatically by some chosen number of days. I think this will lead to just the problem you are facing. Sorry. I want to have control of my deleted folders and recycle bin. It is often the catch all that you can go to for getting you out of a jam. I usually delete all when I have 3,000 or so in my deletes. I make sure to remember if anything has occurred important in the last little while so I don't lose some vital post.

With a lot of folders, A quick down arrowing will find the correct one. I can also search using first letter navigation. I thought I would never remember them all, but with use, it is cinchy. Hope you can find your folders.
Marilyn

9 folders?

Thanks,
don't know why.

Gene

appreciated.

nancy

Marilyn and Don Bilderback

Hi Gene,
On my folders list I have ones for Groups, windows 10, recipes, jokes, dog stuff, Stream, NVDA and more. Under each folder I have files pertaining to that subject matter. These are tips to help me remember how to fix things. The original folder of some became too large so I had to start another folder with more specific titles. Such as, under Windows 10 I have a file called attachments, contacts, notifications and so forth. When I have more than two or three files all about one subject, I start its own folder so I can find them faster.

Since I was my own teacher, this is something I concocted on my own. The individual files are in the form of Emails to myself about each individual tip or how to do something. No, I didn't want these in the documents folder. I am probably not describing this right. The only thing is that the files are like an Email with my name and the subject line. I haven't figured how to do it another way.

With tips I take the original Email it came in and forward it to myself and put it in the drafts folder. Then I slice and dice all those things that I don't want and then send it to myself. If I get additional tips that fit a topic I have already but another way to do it, I respond to my own Email and add the information by cut and paste and then send it along to me again.

My I phone folder has other folders below it about separate issues such as Siri, photos, set up instructions and much more. The original folder will in the end have things not numerous enough to need their own folder.

I have 14 different items saved in the NVDA folder, for example. I do lose the name of the person who gave the instructions, but forgive me one and all, this is the way I do it and I always am thinking and of and thanking all of you who offer advice. The only thing I would change is not to put my name on the file so I could search quicker, using just the subject line. Well, nothing is perfect.

I hope this helps and made sense. Marilyn

From: main@TechTalk.groups.io <main@TechTalk.groups.io> On Behalf Of Gene
Sent: Sunday, December 4, 2022 4:32 PM

If you have a folder named music and in that folder there is another folder named The Beatles in which there are files, then you have a subfolder. I don't know what you are describing by folder headings.

Gene

Marilyn
From: main@TechTalk.groups.io <main@TechTalk.groups.io> On Behalf Of
Nancy Hill

How can I make a folder/link that will open the next layer down with
my
9 folders?

12. Level 3 is there, but what do I need to do to be able to go to
the folders on level3 which is the folders below 2?

Thanks,
I don't know what you mean by zip button. When you open the
documents folder, if I understand what you are saying, there was a
folder you pressed enter on named zip and that folder isn't showing
anymore. I don't know why.

Gene

appreciated.

nancy

Gene

Are you talking about folders in the e-mail program or folders elsewhere?

Gene

On 12/4/2022 8:29 PM, Marilyn and Don Bilderback wrote:
Hi Gene,
On my folders list I have ones for Groups, windows 10, recipes, jokes, dog stuff, Stream, NVDA and more. Under each folder I have files pertaining to that subject matter. These are tips to help me remember how to fix things. The original folder of some became too large so I had to start another folder with more specific titles. Such as, under Windows 10 I have a file called attachments, contacts, notifications and so forth. When I have more than two or three files all about one subject, I start its own folder so I can find them faster.

Since I was my own teacher, this is something I concocted on my own. The individual files are in the form of Emails to myself about each individual tip or how to do something. No, I didn't want these in the documents folder. I am probably not describing this right. The only thing is that the files are like an Email with my name and the subject line. I haven't figured how to do it another way.

With tips I take the original Email it came in and forward it to myself and put it in the drafts folder. Then I slice and dice all those things that I don't want and then send it to myself. If I get additional tips that fit a topic I have already but another way to do it, I respond to my own Email and add the information by cut and paste and then send it along to me again.

My I phone folder has other folders below it about separate issues such as Siri, photos, set up instructions and much more. The original folder will in the end have things not numerous enough to need their own folder.

I have 14 different items saved in the NVDA folder, for example. I do lose the name of the person who gave the instructions, but forgive me one and all, this is the way I do it and I always am thinking and of and thanking all of you who offer advice. The only thing I would change is not to put my name on the file so I could search quicker, using just the subject line. Well, nothing is perfect.

I hope this helps and made sense. Marilyn
From: main@TechTalk.groups.io <main@TechTalk.groups.io> On Behalf Of Gene
Sent: Sunday, December 4, 2022 4:32 PM

If you have a folder named music and in that folder there is another folder named The Beatles in which there are files, then you have a subfolder. I don't know what you are describing by folder headings.

Gene

Marilyn
From: main@TechTalk.groups.io <main@TechTalk.groups.io> On Behalf Of
Nancy Hill

How can I make a folder/link that will open the next layer down with
my
9 folders?

12. Level 3 is there, but what do I need to do to be able to go to
the folders on level3 which is the folders below 2?

Thanks,
I don't know what you mean by zip button. When you open the
documents folder, if I understand what you are saying, there was a
folder you pressed enter on named zip and that folder isn't showing
anymore. I don't know why.

Gene

appreciated.

nancy

Nancy Hill

Gene, your statement is correct.

Thanks,

nancy

On 12/4/2022 5:42 PM, Gene wrote:
I'm not sure what the problem is.  I'll state what you may be describing, but I'm not sure.  There is an item on the desktop named documents.  You can press enter and open it.  But there was a folder named zip that is no longer in the documents folder.

Gene

Thanks,

Gene

nancy

Nancy Hill

Thanks, Marilyn...I might be on a track now...it seems to be doable, but rather tedious.  Guess I'll just have to see how it goes.

nancy

On 12/4/2022 6:04 PM, Marilyn and Don Bilderback wrote:

Marilyn

9 folders?

Thanks,
don't know why.

Gene

appreciated.

nancy

Gene

I don't like telling you this, but if my statement is correct, it appears they have all been deleted since you deleted the recycle bin after this happened, and they might have been there.

I don't know enough about file recovery programs to discuss them much but if you don't add more files to the hard drive, and if you haven't added many since the loss, you might be able to get some or perhaps many of them back.

Gene

On 12/4/2022 10:53 PM, Nancy Hill wrote:

Thanks,

nancy

Gene

Thanks,

Gene

My win10 laptop's desktop is set up with a number of folders on it.  The main folder that I use is Documents. For a looong time in that folder has been a folder that was called zip and when I entered on it, that would open to a set of 9 lower folders which range from Books to Nancy to TV.  In those folders I store just about anything relating to the subject of the folder.

nancy

Nancy Hill

Thanks for your time, Gene.

I'm trying a different approach before going to a recovery program.

nancy

On 12/5/2022 12:29 AM, Gene wrote:
I don't like telling you this, but if my statement is correct, it appears they have all been deleted since you deleted the recycle bin after this happened, and they might have been there.

I don't know enough about file recovery programs to discuss them much but if you don't add more files to the hard drive, and if you haven't added many since the loss, you might be able to get some or perhaps many of them back.

Gene

Thanks,

nancy

Gene

Thanks,

Gene

My win10 laptop's desktop is set up with a number of folders on it.  The main folder that I use is Documents. For a looong time in that folder has been a folder that was called zip and when I entered on it, that would open to a set of 9 lower folders which range from Books to Nancy to TV.  In those folders I store just about anything relating to the subject of the folder.

nancy

-Mike B

Hi Nancy,

This is a long shot, a very long shot but, do you have OneDrive turned on by any chance, and these files / folders have been saved to the OneDrive folder instead?  I haven't followed this whole thread and if you're running Windows 10 this is a possibility.

Sent: Sunday, December 04, 2022 8:53 PM

Thanks,

nancy

> I'm not sure what the problem is. I'll state what you may be
> describing, but I'm not sure. There is an item on the desktop named
> documents. You can press enter and open it. But there was a folder
> named zip that is no longer in the documents folder.
>
> If that is correct or incorrect, let me know.
>
> Gene
> On 12/4/2022 2:42 PM, Nancy Hill wrote:
>> Gene, yes I rebooted and the folder/link was still not there.
>>
>>
>> How can I make a folder/link that will open the next layer down with
>> my 9 folders?
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>> 12. Level 3 is there, but what do I need to do to be able to go to
>> the folders on level3 which is the folders below 2?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> nancy=On 12/4/2022 12:27 AM, Gene wrote:
>>> I don't know what you mean by zip button. When you open the
>>> documents folder, if I understand what you are saying, there was a
>>> folder you pressed enter on named zip and that folder isn't showing
>>> anymore. I don't know why.
>>>
>>> Did you reboot just in case that solves the problem?
>>>
>>> Gene
>>>
>>> On 12/3/2022 10:07 PM, Nancy Hill wrote:
>>>>
>>>> My win10 laptop's desktop is set up with a number of folders on
>>>> it. The main folder that I use is Documents. For a looong time in
>>>> that folder has been a folder that was called zip and when I
>>>> entered on it, that would open to a set of 9 lower folders which
>>>> range from Books to Nancy to TV. In those folders I store just
>>>> about anything relating to the subject of the folder.
>>>>
>>>> I don't know how I did it, but my 'zip button/folder that I used to
>>>> access the area of my 9 folders has disappeared and I have no clue
>>>> how to access that lower level of my folders now.
>>>>
>>>>
>>>> Thoughts and ideas on how to re-establish 'zip' would be greatly
>>>> appreciated.
>>>> What can I do to re-establish the link between my Documents folder
>>>> via and that precious lower level?
>>>>
>>>> I am distraught. Please help me regain access to my special files.
>>>>
>>>> nancy
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>> .
>
>
>
>
>
>

Howard Traxler

How would one delete the recycle bin?

On 12/4/2022 11:29 PM, Gene wrote:

Gene

Thanks,

nancy

Gene

Thanks,

Gene

nancy

--
"Every why hath a wherefore."