From: Veronica Kirk
Sent: Saturday, February 06, 2021 4:26 PM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io
Subject: [TechTalk] Help with C-Cleaner

I am running out of space on my Dell Latitude laptop running windows 7, and disk cleanup is not sufficient at all. Could someone please give me instructions on how to use C-Cleaner and where to find it?

I did read an article on the internet about things that can be deleted during disk cleanup such as windows update cleanup and system archived windows error reporting, but I have never seen these when doing disk cleanup on my windows 7. Thank you very much for any assistance.

Veronica

Veronica Kirk

What is a good brand for an external hard drive? No, I am not backing
things up. I know I should, but I am not certain as to how to perform the
task.

Veronica

You may save enough space to solve the problem for a time, but you need an
external hard drive to store material on to really free up a meaningful
amount of space. Also, are you backing things up?

I am running out of space on my Dell Latitude laptop running windows 7, and
disk cleanup is not sufficient at all. Could someone please give me
instructions on how to use C-Cleaner and where to find it?

I did read an article on the internet about things that can be deleted
during disk cleanup such as windows update cleanup and system archived
windows error reporting, but I have never seen these when doing disk cleanup

on my windows 7. Thank you very much for any assistance.

Veronica

Mich Verrier

Hi seegate is a good brand. And copying things on to a external hard drive
is ot that hard all you do is coppy and paste tht is control c and control v
to paste. Hth. From Mich.

You may save enough space to solve the problem for a time, but you need an
external hard drive to store material on to really free up a meaningful
amount of space. Also, are you backing things up?

I am running out of space on my Dell Latitude laptop running windows 7, and
disk cleanup is not sufficient at all. Could someone please give me
instructions on how to use C-Cleaner and where to find it?

I did read an article on the internet about things that can be deleted
during disk cleanup such as windows update cleanup and system archived
windows error reporting, but I have never seen these when doing disk cleanup

on my windows 7. Thank you very much for any assistance.

Veronica

Gene

I haven't compared brands. You might do a search for something like external hard drive reviews, or best external hard drives 2021 to see if you can find reviews from this year. Or if you don't find results, or good ones, doing a search for best hard drives 2020 should produce results for last year.

I use Seagate, but aside from the brand being cheaper than many other brands, I can't comment on their reliability when compared with other brands.

There are options for backing up files not using external hard drives. I'll let others discuss that. But in terms of storing more than your internal hard drive will hold, not as a backup but as a way to store and retrieve material conveniently, an external hard drive is a good and widely used option.

You may save enough space to solve the problem for a time, but you need an
external hard drive to store material on to really free up a meaningful
amount of space. Also, are you backing things up?

I am running out of space on my Dell Latitude laptop running windows 7, and
disk cleanup is not sufficient at all. Could someone please give me
instructions on how to use C-Cleaner and where to find it?

I did read an article on the internet about things that can be deleted
during disk cleanup such as windows update cleanup and system archived
windows error reporting, but I have never seen these when doing disk cleanup

on my windows 7. Thank you very much for any assistance.

Veronica

Janet

Hi Veronica,
I have used Seagate very successfully, I have also used Western Digital successfully, and I've been using both of them for at least 14 years, and so far, so good! Smile! You should definitely backup regularly because if you don't, you can lose all your files and folders, as well as Books, Movies, music, like I did some years ago, and I sure kicked myself for that, but then again, I learned the trick is to back up! Smile!

Janet
Janet ve , ,

You may save enough space to solve the problem for a time, but you need an
external hard drive to store material on to really free up a meaningful
amount of space. Also, are you backing things up?

I am running out of space on my Dell Latitude laptop running windows 7, and
disk cleanup is not sufficient at all. Could someone please give me
instructions on how to use C-Cleaner and where to find it?

I did read an article on the internet about things that can be deleted
during disk cleanup such as windows update cleanup and system archived
windows error reporting, but I have never seen these when doing disk cleanup

on my windows 7. Thank you very much for any assistance.

Veronica

Mike B

When you run the disk cleanup utility are you checking the checkboxes that come up after the analyzing scan tells you how much space the utility can free up?  Here are the options I have to choose to delete or not on my Windows 7 computer:

Downloaded Program Files 0 bytes checked

Temporary Internet Files 0 bytes

Recycle Bin 12.0 KB

Service Pack Backup Files 0 bytes

System error memory dump files 10.3 MB

Temporary files 83.9 KB

Thumbnails 3.29 KB

Per user archived Windows Error Rep... 39.6 KB

System queued Windows Error Reporti... 12.0 MB

There is a command that you can run that will bring up several more options to choose from that I can post if you would like.

Stay safe and take care.  Mike.

I am running out of space on my Dell Latitude laptop running windows 7, and disk cleanup is not sufficient at all.  Could someone please give me instructions on how to use C-Cleaner and where to find it?

I did read an article on the internet about things that can be deleted during disk cleanup such as windows update cleanup and system archived windows error reporting, but I have never seen these when doing disk cleanup on my windows 7.  Thank you very much for any assistance.

Veronica

Veronica Kirk

I want to thank all of you who responded to my problem.  I definitely am going to have to purchase an external hard drive.

Mike, I finally got disk cleanup to say that I have zero bytes to free up, but I only had five files listed.  Some of those you had were not included in my list.  Could you please send me the command for more options?

Veronica

From: paul lemm
Hi,

Not a lot of people know that the built in windows disk cleanup as some additional features which you can’t see when running  disk clean up in the usual
way. The below options have been in windows I think since xp, maybe even longer and its completely accessible with Jaws, I’ve always been surprised that
windows don’t add these options to their standard disk cleanup tool, but I guess they are advance settings so don’t want the average user deleting stuff
they might later want. So that being said  I should probably point out to anyone using the extended disk cleaner settings I mention below to only delete
stuff you know you don’t want/need. So its really easy to access just open the dialogue with the keystroke, Windows key + R, and type the following

cleanmgr sageset:99

This brings up the standard disk cleanup   interface but with more options than just standard disk clean up. You select what you want it to clean up and
click ok, which closes the disk cleanup window, then go to run again and then this time type the following to run disk cleanup with the settings you just
selected

cleanmgr sagerun:99

hope the above helps

Paul