From: Janet
Sent: Saturday, October 9, 2021 6:05 PM
Subject: [TechTalk] Help With Windows Mail Please!

Hi Everyone,

I’m having a very difficult time with this Windows Mail, so I would greatly appreciate some help how to stop Edge Browser from opening when I open a link in an email message.  I have Brave set as my default browser, and I set it like that through Brave’s menu, and through my Windows Ten Laptop, but I don’t remember now how I set it through my Laptop, because I lost some of my tutorials some weeks ago when my Windows Seven stopped working.  Although, my main problem is when I get an email from my local newspaper, and I open the link to go to the web site to read it, this Edge browser pops up, and I can’t fill out any edit fields.  I’ve tried going through the brave settings again to set it again as my default, but all I get then is Edge settings, and I looked through those settings to see if I could find a setting in there to disable Edge, but there is no setting to get rid of him, and this is driving me nuts.  I also get updates from my Aldermen, and when I press enter to open the email, NVDA or JAWS is completely silent, so I can’t read those emails either.  So, can someone please tell me how I can finally stop this Edge from popping up.

Thank you all for any help.

Janet

Sent from Mail for Windows

John Holcomb II

I think that MS makes it so that if you are using their apps that I if you link to  something else that they have an app for, it auto opens in that app and there’s no way to  change it.

For example , try doing a search for something in the start menu. If you go down to one of the links and hit enter, Bing opens in edge.

But if you were to instead open your brave browser and do the same search with whatever search engine you use, it’d work like you want it to.

Jon

[...]

HI,

Thank you for this.  I did as you said, and it did work, but I’m hoping this setting will hold, as I did this before, but for some reason it keeps changing though.  I did try it out after I reset Brave back to default, and it did let me go to the web site using Brave.  I still just can’t open an email I get from my Aldermen of the ward where I live.  When I open his email, NVDA as well as JAWS just goes completely silent.  Do you have any ideas why this might be?

Thank you again,

Janet

Sent from Mail for Windows

To set brave as your default browser. press the windows key and type  default apps and press enter  on it then tab to browser and you will see which browser is your default press enter on it and then tab to the one you want as the default and press enter and that should do it. and

[...]

Loy

Could it be that it is an image and no text? Does JAWS start speaking if you close that email?

[...]

Hi John,

When you say do a search, are you saying to search for an app in the start menu? Wow, I sure hope you’re wrong on this though!  Smile!

Janet

Sent from Mail for Windows

[...]

I’m pretty sure there is text in the mail though.  The only way I can get either screen reader to start reading is to press the alt plus f4 to close out the  entire email program.

Janet

Sent from Mail for Windows

[...]

Gene

There may be some code in the message that causes your screen[-reader not to speak when you are in the window.  the easiest thing to do might be the following:
Open the message.  Then, even if you have no speech, use the control a command.  Then copy what is selected to the clipboard in the usual control c way.  Close the message and get speech back.
Open Notepad and paste into it.  Is the text there?  It shouldn’t have anything in it that would interfere with your screen-reader

[...]

Hi Gene,

Ok, I just opened the message, selected all the text, copied, closed  mail, copied to clip board, copied in note pad, I still heard nothing.  I didn’t have this problem reading this particular email when I was using Windows Seven though, this just started happening as I have to use Windows Ten Laptop, or Windows Mail.  Not sure why or if that might have anything to do with it though.

Janet

Sent from Mail for Windows

[...]

I’m not sure what the problem is.  Does your screen-reader speak when the message is opened at all?  For example, when you read the title bar, is that spoken?  I’m trying to figure out if the screen-reader isn’t speaking or if it isn’t reading any text in the message.

[...]

Gene,

After I open the message, sometimes I hear a message saying reading pane, but most of the time, I don’t hear anything.  When I use the title bar, I don’t hear anything, no matter which key I press, I don’t hear anything.

Janet

Sent from Mail for Windows

[...]

No, not for app.

Try doing a search for anything with keywords that will bring up a browser.

Watch what happens when you hit enter on the result you wanna view.

[...]

Try doing this keyword search right in the start menu.

Like tap the Windows key type something and then down arrow.

You’ll see any app references first, then browser results after that.

John

[...]

It sounds as though something in the message is stopping your screen-reader from speaking.  You might try a different screen-reader to see if it speaks when the message is opened.  You might try Narrator, but someone else would have to tell you how to run it and try to read in the message with it if you don’t know.  I don’t have Windows 10 and I know very little about Narrator.

Something else you can try is forwarding the message to someone like me or someone else and see if they can read it.  If they can, they can probably copy and paste the text into a new message and send it to you.  That might solve the problem, especially if they only paste text and nothing else in the message.  There would be no code from the original message to cause problems.

Since we don’t know what the problem is, you might want to forward it to someone who doesn’t use your e-mail program.  I use Windows Live Mail.  other people you know may well use other programs than you are using.

[...]

heather albright

The mail app is real buggy, if you are say using jaws, it usually crashes either the mail app or jaws. I noticed lately, it is doing the same thing with NVDA. I have not used narrator to see if it happens too using that screenreader. I would advise you to use thunder bird or outlook if you have it. The mail app also seems to lose messages out right. But if you want to use the mail app, can I suggest you check your mail with 2 programs so if you lose messages in the mail app, they will still be there with the other program. I routinely check mail with 2 programs incase one crashes or loses messages. It does happen and glad I check with 2 programs.

I have outlook, thunder bird and I use the mail app mainly for one of my accounts. But, I have been using thunderbird with outlook. Cant decide which one I like the best.

Heather

Sent from Mail for Windows

[...]

If you use an IMAP account, you won’t lose mail if the program crashes.  The mail will remain on the server.

[...]

Vaddy

May this application be helpful: https://github.com/da2x/EdgeDeflector

EdgeDeflector is a small helper application that intercepts URIs that force-open web links in Microsoft Edge and redirects it to the system’s default web browser. This allows you to use Windows features like the Cortana assistant and built-in help links with the browser of your choice instead of being forced to use Microsoft Edge. With EdgeDeflector, you’re free to use Firefox, Google Chrome, or whatever your favorite web browser might be!

On 10.10.2021 01:05, Janet wrote:

[...]

I miss spoke, I ment the messages keep falling out of the mail app. So you have to go online to get them back. This happens even if you did not delete them to the trash folder, they just disappear from the enbox. Cheers Heather

Sent from Mail for Windows

If you use an IMAP account, you won’t lose mail if the program crashes.  The mail will remain on the server.

[...]

I’ve never used thunderbird.

Is it  more responsive than outlook?

I’ve got a very old Surface Pro PC with 4GB of ram and 64 GB of storage running  a third gen I5 processor that I’ve  tried outlook on..

Outlook is a bit sluggage on that with Jaws. Manageable but sluggage.

The mail app while not sluggage the only problem I have with it is that when I hit enter to open a message  and read it, once I hit escape it always brings me to the navigation bar.

Then I have to shift tab to get to the message list. Plus outlook has a spellcheck.

Its only that particular pc that  has problems with outlook mainly because of the ram I think.

John

[...]

I would think most people remain online while looking at e-mail so this may not be an inconvenience.  Of course, some people would look at mail off line.  But if you are online, do messages disa;ppear and then reappear as they are automatically downloaded again or does this problem only occur when you are off line?

Sent: Sunday, October 10, 2021 1:06 PM