High res audio players

Walter Ramage

Hi all.  I'm looking for advice and recommendations on high res audio players, preferably that plays from memory.  My computer guy and friend is looking for some that would be suitable for me.  He is sighted where I am not so it would need to be a player that is accessible, or at least usable.  The player  doesn't have to have multiple bells and whistles but it's playback of high res audio files needs to be of very high quality.

My friend is downloading some trial versions at home to try and find one that I'd be able to use.  That is why I send this post to ask if anybody has recommendations of such a player they use and would recommend.  To let you know the kind of thing I'm speaking about a couple of players he mentioned are Audirvana or jriver media centre.  Has anybody tried either of these; are they accessible?  Any help would really be appreciated.  By the way this audio player I'm looking for isn't to play music on a phone or tablet but on a high end music system (my speakers are B&W 804's).  With many thanks.  Walter.

John Holcomb II

Hey Walter,

So while I don’t have any experience with this  my advice  is to try to  look for one that runs off android with google play services.

Lots of them run off android but it’s a crippled version and you can’t easily load something like talkback on them.

I’m also not sure how well the skins work.

Since most of these are running off a version of android or Linux of some kind, I’d advise asking on the BlindAndroidUsers list on groups.io.

Honestly? An easier solution would be using a android phone and using something that can decode the HighRez stuff like a DragonFly from AudioQuest.

You could also look for phones which has a High rez DAC. LG phones come to mind,    the latest Asus Roz phone.

Because you see this way you will have the ability to have access to apps like Tidal, Amazon Music HD, etc. and be able to update talkback easier as it runs Google Play Services.

You can also then get a card if the storage isn’t enough and upload your own *.FLAC  or whatever files you use and use a  High Rez player which you could download on android to play them on.

Apple could be an option, but with them you’ll definitely need a  DAC of some kind (no not the apple music adaptor.)

Also some DACs do not play  nice with Apple phones. Not all android phones either for that matter.

You’d need to find a phone which supports the USB Audio specification. Some phones do this well, others do not.

Pixel phones  do this well as well as Samsung and Sony.

I know a phone is not what you’re looking for but I’m not sure such an accessible solution exists in a  standalone player.

Hope this helps!

John