Topics

How do I get Jaws to number emails in Outlook using Jaws

James Bentley

Hi all,

I’ve been using Outlook with IMap for over a week now.  I am grateful to all who talked me in to trying it again.  4 or 5 years ago, it didn’t work for me.  Now, I have a faster internet connection and faster computers and I am loving Outlook and imap.

I still have one more item that I hope can be resolved.  I want to know how many emails are in my In-box and where I am in the list.  For example, if I have 100 emails in my In-Box and I am on email number 50, I would like Jaws to say 50 out of 100.

I have the check box in folder properties checked that tells Outlook to number all mail.  What else should I try?

I am using Jaws 19, Office365 and Windows10.

Thanks for any ideas,

James B

Smiling?

As far as being announced 50 out of 100 not at all sure of how one would do that with JAWS. Hearing how many emails within whatever given folder, just try using the keystroke (while focus is within this folder)

Insert+PageDown

I’ve been using Outlook with IMap for over a week now.  I am grateful to all who talked me in to trying it again.  4 or 5 years ago, it didn’t work for me.  Now, I have a faster internet connection and faster computers and I am loving Outlook and imap.

I still have one more item that I hope can be resolved.  I want to know how many emails are in my In-box and where I am in the list.  For example, if I have 100 emails in my In-Box and I am on email number 50, I would like Jaws to say 50 out of 100.

I have the check box in folder properties checked that tells Outlook to number all mail.  What else should I try?

I am using Jaws 19, Office365 and Windows10.

Thanks for any ideas,

James B

Carolyn Arnold

Press Zero on Num Lock plus 8; I said 3 on other list, not
right, 8. I just did it.

I've been using Outlook with IMap for over a week now. I am
grateful to all who talked me in to trying it again. 4 or 5
years ago, it didn't work for me. Now, I have a faster
internet connection and faster computers and I am loving
Outlook and imap.

I still have one more item that I hope can be resolved. I
want to know how many emails are in my In-box and where I am
in the list. For example, if I have 100 emails in my In-Box
and I am on email number 50, I would like Jaws to say 50 out
of 100.

I have the check box in folder properties checked that tells
Outlook to number all mail. What else should I try?

I am using Jaws 19, Office365 and Windows10.

Thanks for any ideas,

James B

Carolyn Arnold

Insert+Page Down used to tell me the number, which I gave
that command on another list. However, if the filters are
on, that command will provide no number information. I would
love to know how to remove the filter. But, Insert+8 will
sai a message and one out of seven or 22 out of 35, whatever
is there.

I've been using Outlook with IMap for over a week now. I am
grateful to all who talked me in to trying it again. 4 or 5
years ago, it didn't work for me. Now, I have a faster
internet connection and faster computers and I am loving
Outlook and imap.

I still have one more item that I hope can be resolved. I
want to know how many emails are in my In-box and where I am
in the list. For example, if I have 100 emails in my In-Box
and I am on email number 50, I would like Jaws to say 50 out
of 100.

I have the check box in folder properties checked that tells
Outlook to number all mail. What else should I try?

I am using Jaws 19, Office365 and Windows10.

Thanks for any ideas,

James B

James Bentley

I'm not getting the same results as you. Maybe we are using different
versions of Outlook or our settings are different.

Let me know if you discover how to make changes to the filters.

James B

I've been using Outlook with IMap for over a week now. I am
grateful to all who talked me in to trying it again. 4 or 5
years ago, it didn't work for me. Now, I have a faster
internet connection and faster computers and I am loving
Outlook and imap.

I still have one more item that I hope can be resolved. I
want to know how many emails are in my In-box and where I am
in the list. For example, if I have 100 emails in my In-Box
and I am on email number 50, I would like Jaws to say 50 out
of 100.

I have the check box in folder properties checked that tells
Outlook to number all mail. What else should I try?

I am using Jaws 19, Office365 and Windows10.

Thanks for any ideas,

James B

Carolyn Arnold

I have JAWS 18, because it mostly works so well, I don't to
try to fix something that is not broken. I have Outlook
2013.

I've been using Outlook with IMap for over a week now. I am
grateful to all who talked me in to trying it again. 4 or 5
years ago, it didn't work for me. Now, I have a faster
internet connection and faster computers and I am loving
Outlook and imap.

I still have one more item that I hope can be resolved. I
want to know how many emails are in my In-box and where I am
in the list. For example, if I have 100 emails in my In-Box
and I am on email number 50, I would like Jaws to say 50 out
of 100.

I have the check box in folder properties checked that tells
Outlook to number all mail. What else should I try?

I am using Jaws 19, Office365 and Windows10.

Thanks for any ideas,

James B

Gene

I don't see any connection between filters and whether a screen-reader says something like 3 of 15.  As far as I know, a screen-reader saying that sort of thing is a feature of screen-readers and sighted people don't have such information.

Second, I looked up filters.  I don't use Outlook and I didn't know what they did.  They seem to be for creating message rules, such as to send this or that message to whatever folder is desired or, I would think take other actions such as are found in message rules.  But message rules have nothing to do with whether such information is announced.  Do others who haven't discussed this get such information in the current version of Outlook or a recent version?

I've been using Outlook with IMap for over a week now.  I am
grateful to all who talked me in to trying it again.  4 or 5
years ago, it didn't work for me.  Now, I have a faster
internet connection and faster computers and I am loving
Outlook and imap.

I still have one more item that I hope can be resolved.  I
want to know how many emails are in my In-box and where I am
in the list.  For example, if I have 100 emails in my In-Box
and I am on email number 50, I would like Jaws to say 50 out
of 100.

I have the check box in folder properties checked that tells
Outlook to number all mail.  What else should I try?

I am using Jaws 19, Office365 and Windows10.

Thanks for any ideas,

James B

Carolyn Arnold

I know that the first step is to go to Filter. The next step
is to go to Remove. That worked for years, but not now.

I've been using Outlook with IMap for over a week now. I am
grateful to all who talked me in to trying it again. 4 or 5
years ago, it didn't work for me. Now, I have a faster
internet connection and faster computers and I am loving
Outlook and imap.

I still have one more item that I hope can be resolved. I
want to know how many emails are in my In-box and where I am
in the list. For example, if I have 100 emails in my In-Box
and I am on email number 50, I would like Jaws to say 50 out
of 100.

I have the check box in folder properties checked that tells
Outlook to number all mail. What else should I try?

I am using Jaws 19, Office365 and Windows10.

Thanks for any ideas,

James B

James Bentley

I might be stuck with Office 365. I'll reluctantly get over the numbering
of emails if I must. Its just a massive learning curve. Plus, I have an
unidentified problem.

All 3 of my devices will hang. That is Outlook hangs. Then, I must do a
forced shutdown and restart Outlook. This happens 2 or 3 times a day.

disability tech support reinstalled my server settings on two machines with
no success. They are now suggesting a repair on Outlook.

I have put that on hold for a day or so. I am Googling around to learn
more. There are plenty of people who have the same problem And, with many
solutions that I want to investigate before I get stuck having to install an
image backup because MS or I destroyed my current drive.

I really want Office 365 to work. I am accustomed to some of its menus and
keystrokes. it has a lot of very cool features. Its spell-checker and
language checker are awesome. And, I am now liking Imap. but, still that
learning curve.

Cheers,

James B

[...]

You've been saying this for quite sometime and I personally have not noticed
at all the fact that filters within Outlook cause the amounts of emails
within whatever given folder not to be mentioned.

I think whomever it is that gave you this idea was not only in-correct, but
they most likely while helping you in the past, came up with this idea
because of their messing with filters and magically JAWS started once again
saying the amounts of emails. Once again though, I myself have not noticed
anything in regards to filters limiting the amounts of emails being able to
be announced by JAWS, but I know that you have it pretty hard set within
your mind that this seems to be the reason.

Creating Filters/Rules for Outlook

1. Highlight whatever email and use your Applications key or Shift+F10
keystroke and arrow to Rules submenu... hit enter.
2. Up arrow once to highlight Manage Rules and Alerts... hit enter. This is
going to open up a Rules and Alerts dialogue where you can create,
manage/modify and setup rules.

I've been using Outlook with IMap for over a week now. I am
grateful to all who talked me in to trying it again. 4 or 5
years ago, it didn't work for me. Now, I have a faster
internet connection and faster computers and I am loving
Outlook and imap.

I still have one more item that I hope can be resolved. I
want to know how many emails are in my In-box and where I am
in the list. For example, if I have 100 emails in my In-Box
and I am on email number 50, I would like Jaws to say 50 out
of 100.

I have the check box in folder properties checked that tells
Outlook to number all mail. What else should I try?

I am using Jaws 19, Office365 and Windows10.

Thanks for any ideas,

James B

Carolyn Arnold

James, if Microsoft hadn't fixed my Outlook (all but
filters), I would have called a local computer guy, but am
thankful not to have had to spend that money. Sometimes
though, a knowledgeable sightie can work wonders in a little
bit of time. My husband is good, but has no clue about
Outlook or any other email client.

[...]

Microsoft told me that over three years ago, when a guy
there showed me how to remove them, which I did in all of my
boxes.

I've been using Outlook with IMap for over a week now. I am
grateful to all who talked me in to trying it again. 4 or 5
years ago, it didn't work for me. Now, I have a faster
internet connection and faster computers and I am loving
Outlook and imap.

I still have one more item that I hope can be resolved. I
want to know how many emails are in my In-box and where I am
in the list. For example, if I have 100 emails in my In-Box
and I am on email number 50, I would like Jaws to say 50 out
of 100.

I have the check box in folder properties checked that tells
Outlook to number all mail. What else should I try?

I am using Jaws 19, Office365 and Windows10.

Thanks for any ideas,

James B

James Bentley

Hi,

I may have fixed my biggest problem with Outlook. All devices would hang
several times per day forcing me to restart the device. That solution is
available if someone else has the same problem.

The MS Disability Desk is a lot of help most of the time. However, they
have really messed up my PC a couple of times. I have started creating a
backup image of my PC before I even call them. Also, I create an image if I
am going to mess with anything that I have doubts about.

For example, I accidentally locked myself out of one of my laptops while
messing with pass words and user profiles. It only took an hour to replace
the entire drive from an image that I had made a few hours before I started
messing around.

Cheers,

James B

[...]

That sounds like a good idea.  I haven’t used the disability service but the reports I’ve seen are uneven as to quality and my impression is that it ranges widely.

[...]

James, I doubled checked in my Outlook tutorial and found this:

Settings for displaying number of mailbox messages
1. Get in mailbox you want to remove filters from and set numbers in.
2. Alt+v+v.
3. Tab three times to Filters.
4. Shift+Tab.
5. Right Arrow to Advanced Tab.
6. Tab to Remove.
7. Tab to OK.
8. Tab to OK again - VOILA, you're done.

Trouble is, I have been trying that; I tried again. I am unable to make it work.

[...]

Nice try Miss Carolyn but no joy.

I get the default ding just as soon as I hit the second V.

On a slightly different matter, I accidently turned off the feature that allows the insert key+page down to announce number of total emails in a folder plus the number of unread emails. When I eventually compare that PC with one that reports the numbers right, I will send you the directions. I know you want that feature and Maybe the difference between Outlook 2013 and 2016 won't matter.

James B

[...]

chris judge

Thanks Carolyn. This worked perfectly.

[...]

Carolyn, I thank you too. I finally got it to work. My menus are just slightly different from yours.

I still do not have Jaws telling me where I am in the ocean of emails but at least I can tell how big the ocean is and how many of the emails have not been read.

I bet you was glad to get that fixed.

Cheers,

James B

[...]

Thanks, James. I'll try whatever you send.

[...]

I am so happy that it worked for someone!