Topics

how does one get a computer from computers for the blind?

Jim Rawls

Hi all,

What do you have to qualify? Jim

Gene

I haven't checked.

Gene

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Monday, November 25, 2019 3:50 PM
Subject: [TechTalk] how does one get a computer from computers for the blind?

Hi all,

Gerald Levy

There are no special qualifications for obtaining a computer from computers for the blind, other than being blind or severely vision impaired. You do not have to furnish proof of blindness.  One of their customer service agents will simply ask you a few questions to determine your eligilibility when you call them. Telling them that you currently use JAWS is usually sufficient.  Seriously.    For $130, you can purchase a refurbished desktop that comes with a one-year license for JAWS 2020, which, by itself is worth $99, a full size keyboard, optical mouse and 19 inch flat panel monitor, plus 4 gb of RAM, 160 gb hard drive and Windows 10 Pro.  For additional cost, you can increase theRAM up to 16 gb and order a 500 gb hard drive or 128 gb SSD. For $185, you can order a refurbed laptop.  All computers come with a one-year warranty and phone tech support.  JAWS will come up speaking in full mode when you plug it in and turn it on.  You can now pay for your computer over the phone by credit or debit card.  Because all computers are shipped as free matter for the blind, it takes about two weeks to process your order and have it delivered to your home.  They will supply a USPS tracking number when it is shipped.  For more info:

214-340-6328

https://www.computersfortheblind.org/

Gerald

On 11/25/2019 4:50 PM, Jim Rawls wrote:

Hi all,

Mike B

Howdy Jim,

Their contact info is below.  Try calling them and they'll be able to answer any questions you have.

Email:  info@...

Phone#:  1-214-340-6328

Take care.  Mike.  Sent from my iBarstool.  Go Rams!
Arguing with a woman is like reading a software license agreement.  In the end you have to ignore everything, & click I agree.

Sent: Monday, November 25, 2019 1:50 PM

Hi all,

Cristóbal

I helped a low income friend obtain one of these.

These people do amazing work getting tech into the hands who can use it.

Cristóbal

From: main@TechTalk.groups.io <main@TechTalk.groups.io> On Behalf Of Gerald Levy via Groups.Io
Sent: Monday, November 25, 2019 2:55 PM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] how does one get a computer from computers for the blind?

There are no special qualifications for obtaining a computer from computers for the blind, other than being blind or severely vision impaired. You do not have to furnish proof of blindness.  One of their customer service agents will simply ask you a few questions to determine your eligilibility when you call them. Telling them that you currently use JAWS is usually sufficient.  Seriously.    For $130, you can purchase a refurbished desktop that comes with a one-year license for JAWS 2020, which, by itself is worth $99, a full size keyboard, optical mouse and 19 inch flat panel monitor, plus 4 gb of RAM, 160 gb hard drive and Windows 10 Pro.  For additional cost, you can increase theRAM up to 16 gb and order a 500 gb hard drive or 128 gb SSD. For $185, you can order a refurbed laptop.  All computers come with a one-year warranty and phone tech support.  JAWS will come up speaking in full mode when you plug it in and turn it on.  You can now pay for your computer over the phone by credit or debit card.  Because all computers are shipped as free matter for the blind, it takes about two weeks to process your order and have it delivered to your home.  They will supply a USPS tracking number when it is shipped.  For more info:

214-340-6328

https://www.computersfortheblind.org/

Gerald

On 11/25/2019 4:50 PM, Jim Rawls wrote:

Hi all,

Jim Rawls

Mike, what is the address of the other blindtech address? I would like to join it.
Jim

-----Original Message-----
From: main@TechTalk.groups.io [mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io] On Behalf Of Mike B
Sent: Monday, November 25, 2019 2:57 PM
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] how does one get a computer from computers for the blind?

Howdy Jim,

Their contact info is below. Try calling them and they'll be able to answer any
questions you have.

Email: info@...

Phone#: 1-214-340-6328

Take care. Mike. Sent from my iBarstool. Go Rams!
Arguing with a woman is like reading a software license agreement. In the end you
have to ignore everything, & click I agree.

Hi all,

Mike B

Hi Jim,

Here you go:

Arguing with a woman is like reading a software license agreement.  In the end you have to ignore everything, & click I agree.

Sent: Monday, November 25, 2019 3:34 PM

Mike, what is the address of the other blindtech address? I would like to join it.
Jim

-----Original Message-----
From: main@TechTalk.groups.io [mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io] On Behalf Of Mike B
Sent: Monday, November 25, 2019 2:57 PM

Howdy Jim,

Their contact info is below.  Try calling them and they'll be able to answer any
questions you have.

Email:  info@...

Phone#:  1-214-340-6328

Arguing with a woman is like reading a software license agreement.  In the end you
have to ignore everything, & click I agree.

Hi all,

Ann Parsons

Hi all,

You call them and ask them to help you fill out the application, or you fill out their application online. Go to their web site computersfortheblind.org and check it out.

Ann P.

--
Ann K. Parsons
Portal Tutoring
EMAIL: akp@...
Author of The Demmies: http://www.dldbooks.com/annparsons/
Portal Tutoring web site: http://www.portaltutoring.info

"All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost."

Gerald Levy

It is not even necessary to complete an application.  you can just call them, tehll them that you are blind and use JAWS and other assistive software, specify which type of computer you want and any upgrades, give them your credit or debit card information, and that's all there is to it. When it arrives in about two weeks, just plug it in, boot it up, and JAWS 2020 will come up speaking in full, unrestricted mode.  Then just install all your programs and saved files, and any Windows 10 drivers you need for your printer or scanner, and you're good to go.  Certainly beats trying to fix a broken clunker.

Gerald

On 11/26/2019 8:44 AM, Ann Parsons wrote:
Hi all,

You call them and ask them to help you fill out the application, or you fill out their application online.  Go to their web site computersfortheblind.org and check it out.

Ann P.