Topics

how does one make edge look like internet explorer?

heather albright

Hello, I saw off google that one can make edge look like IE however, i could not find the steps to do this without having to click the mouse and drag etc. So my questions are, does this work with the knew edge?The  articles I came across  did not say wich edge this works with. I am thinking about those who are trying to transition away from IE; just trying to make it easier. Thanks for any info, cheers Heather

Gene

When I saw your question, I looked up information.
https://www.onmsft.com/how-to/how-to-enable-and-use-internet-explorer-mode-in-the-new-microsoft-edge
If this is what you are discussing, it appears it won't make Edge look like Internet Explorer in terms of giving it an Internet Explorer interface. It will allow it to run in IE compatibility mode whenever you run it without you having to change it. that will allow some wehb sites to run that are compatible with Internet Explorer and not with Chrome, but my impression is that ehse are business sites and the general user will seldom run across such sites. I doubt most people that aren't working in business or institutions would benefit from making this change and I'm not sure if you can. This article says something like If you are in a business, you can do this, which implies that the general user can't.

I don't know how much you know about working with Chrome but for many people, there shouldn't be that much to learn. If you tell us what you are having problems with we can discuss it.

Gene

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Wednesday, August 26, 2020 11:32 AM
To: TechTalk@groups.io
Subject: [TechTalk] how does one make edge look like internet explorer?

Hello, I saw off google that one can make edge look like IE however, i could not find the steps to do this without having to click the mouse and drag etc. So my questions are, does this work with the knew edge?The articles I came across did not say wich edge this works with. I am thinking about those who are trying to transition away from IE; just trying to make it easier. Thanks for any info, cheers Heather

heather albright

I was searching for a friend who is reluctant to move on. It is like pulling teeth so, I was trying to make the path to useing a different browser easier. But, I think I will continue to insist that they use firefox or brave. They already know how to use firefox but they are still using seven woe! Thanks for the info I appreciate it! cheers Heather

----- Original Message -----
To: <main@TechTalk.groups.io>
Sent: Wednesday, August 26, 2020 12:00 PM
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] how does one make edge look like internet explorer?

https://www.onmsft.com/how-to/how-to-enable-and-use-internet-explorer-mode-in-the-new-microsoft-edge
If this is what you are discussing, it appears it won't make Edge look like Internet Explorer in terms of giving it an Internet Explorer interface. It will allow it to run in IE compatibility mode whenever you run it without you having to change it. that will allow some wehb sites to run that are compatible with Internet Explorer and not with Chrome, but my impression is that ehse are business sites and the general user will seldom run across such sites. I doubt most people that aren't working in business or institutions would benefit from making this change and I'm not sure if you can. This article says something like If you are in a business, you can do this, which implies that the general user can't.

I don't know how much you know about working with Chrome but for many people, there shouldn't be that much to learn. If you tell us what you are having problems with we can discuss it.

Gene

Hello, I saw off google that one can make edge look like IE however, i could not find the steps to do this without having to click the mouse and drag etc. So my questions are, does this work with the knew edge?The articles I came across did not say wich edge this works with. I am thinking about those who are trying to transition away from IE; just trying to make it easier. Thanks for any info, cheers Heather

Brian Vogel <britechguy@...>

Seriously, the answer is:  You don't!

This is not aimed at Heather, or anyone personally, but the sooner computer users accept that it's nonsense to try to make thing X look and behave like related thing Y, the better.

Even when you can do so, e.g., Classic Shell, you end up crippling yourself by not having any familiarity at all with the native interface.  It's painful for all of us to have to learn something new, but learn we must, and should.  And if someone's a current Chrome or Brave user, new Edge is a cinch to adjust to.
--

Brian - Windows 10 Pro, 64-Bit, Version 2004, Build 19041  

Always remember that computers are just glorified light bulbs - they rarely fail in continuous use and usually go pop when turned off and on.

~ Technician with the username Computer Bloke, on Technibble.com

Gene

What does the person want to do? In Firefox, Brave or Chrome, browsing is almost exactly the same. If the person wants to learn how to work with settings or the interface, they have to learn more. If not, it may be that they may need to learn little or almost nothing.

Gene

Sent: Wednesday, August 26, 2020 12:18 PM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io

I was searching for a friend who is reluctant to move on. It is like pulling
teeth so, I was trying to make the path to useing a different browser
easier. But, I think I will continue to insist that they use firefox or
brave. They already know how to use firefox but they are still using seven
woe! Thanks for the info I appreciate it! cheers Heather

Gene

heather albright

Ah I think it is a matter of being a creature of habit. They are still using word 2003 and 2007. I did not even know that those programs still worked, woe! So I am trying to get them to move rather quickly, mainly, because their pc system is totally outdated. I have been trying to get them to contact computers for the blind so they would be forced to update their programs and I think they will keep using their system till it brakes. So pulling teeth! cheers Heather ----- Original Message -----
Sent: Wednesday, August 26, 2020 2:16 PM

What does the person want to do? In Firefox, Brave or Chrome, browsing is almost exactly the same. If the person wants to learn how to work with settings or the interface, they have to learn more. If not, it may be that they may need to learn little or almost nothing.

Gene

Gene

Ann Parsons

Hi all,

Excellent post, Brian. It is hard to learn new things, true, but what makes it really difficult is if the student is boxed in by having learned mere keystrokes. One must learn concepts and then moving from x to y is a great deal easier. People somehow learned to cope with "Those new fangled horseless carriages", computers and even Windows 10.

Ann P.

Original message:

Seriously, the answer is: You don't!
This is not aimed at Heather, or anyone personally, but the sooner computer users accept that it's nonsense to try to make thing X look and behave like related thing Y, the better.
Even when you can do so, e.g., Classic Shell, you end up crippling yourself by not having any familiarity at all with the native interface. It's painful for all of us to have to learn something new, but learn we must, and should. And if someone's a current Chrome or Brave user, new Edge is a cinch to adjust to.
--

Brian - Windows 10 Pro, 64-Bit, Version 2004, Build 19041
Always remember that computers are just glorified light bulbs - they rarely fail in continuous use and usually go pop when turned off and on.
--
Ann K. Parsons
Portal Tutoring
EMAIL: akp@...
Author of The Demmies: http://www.dldbooks.com/annparsons/
Portal Tutoring web site: http://www.portaltutoring.info

"All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost."

On Wed, Aug 26, 2020 at 04:23 PM, Ann Parsons wrote:
One must learn concepts and then moving from x to y is a great deal easier.
-
You're preaching to the choir, here!   And the sad thing is that most actually understand the basic concepts very well if they've been browsing the web for years.  And depending on what particular browser they've been using, sometimes the transition to another is as close to completely painless as possible.

But even if it's sheer hell, those of us who've been in the IT business for a long time know it's insanity to use any unsupported operating system and/or browser in contact with cyberspace.  It's just begging to be attacked/infected/compromised.   It's all the more so if we're talking Windows platforms, not that the risk is eliminated by any means if you're using a Mac or Linux.

Nothing is so constant as change, and nowhere is it so constant as it is in the world of computing.  It is also both my observation as a teacher and as an end-user that it is generally much, much easier - which is not to say easy - to be going through transitions along with a large group of other people because you'll all be having similar questions and encountering similar problems at the same time.  Transitioning to Windows 10 from, say, XP, Vista, or 7, at this point is more difficult because many who did so back in 2015 or 2016 have forgotten details of those older versions of Windows as well as details of how they addressed things way back when.  If you add to that how Windows 10 itself has evolved, certain things that were perfectly valid when written 2 years ago, say, no longer apply.  Better to be a leaf floating along the stream with a whole bunch of other leaves than that poor, last leaf that falls into the river in either the dead of winter, where you're stuck on the ice, or during "the rainy season" with whitewater and where you're alone in said whitewater.

--

Ann Parsons

Hi all,

I have two students who are making the transition from win7 to win10. I keep hearing, "Oh, this is the same as it used to be...". Yes, of course it is. It may have a new name or be in a different place, but it's still Windows and it still behaves like Windows.

Ann P.

Original message:

-
You're preaching to the choir, here! And the sad thing is that most actually understand the basic concepts very well if they've been browsing the web for years. And depending on what particular browser they've been using, sometimes the transition to another is as close to completely painless as possible.
But even if it's sheer hell, those of us who've been in the IT business for a long time know it's insanity to use any unsupported operating system and/or browser in contact with cyberspace. It's just begging to be attacked/infected/compromised. It's all the more so if we're talking Windows platforms, not that the risk is eliminated by any means if you're using a Mac or Linux.
Nothing is so constant as change, and nowhere is it so constant as it is in the world of computing. It is also both my observation as a teacher and as an end-user that it is generally much, much easier - which is not to say easy - to be going through transitions along with a large group of other people because you'll all be having similar questions and encountering similar problems at the same time. Transitioning to Windows 10 from, say, XP, Vista, or 7, at this point is more difficult because many who did so back in 2015 or 2016 have forgotten details of those older versions of Windows as well as details of how they addressed things way back when. If you add to that how Windows 10 itself has evolved, certain things that were perfectly valid when written 2 years ago, say, no longer apply. Better to be a leaf floating along the stream with a whole bunch of other leaves than that poor, last leaf that falls into the river in either the dead of winter, where you're stuck on the ice, or during "the rainy season" with whitewater and where you're alone in said whitewater.
--

--
Ann K. Parsons
Portal Tutoring

Ann,

There is that, too.   The thread of "Windows being Windows" has been continuous from Windows 3.1 up through Windows 10, with Windows 8/8.1 being the most tectonic shift secondary to user interface assumptions (everyone will be using a touchscreen being the biggest one) that did not pan out in the end.  Even then, you could accomplish the vast majority of what you were used to doing in the way you were used to doing it after tweaking available Windows settings to your liking.

Windows 10 is a lot more like what Windows 7 and earlier were than Windows 8/8.1 was.   And you could even configure Windows 8, through its own settings, to do things in a far more familiar way that was mouse/keyboard driven (and, believe me, I did that plenty, as most of the folks I knew ended up with Windows 8/8.1 on non-touchscreen devices).

And even then, I make the fewest changes to the actual user interface as possible, as non-default settings do make it more difficult if you end up having to use another machine where those tweaks have not been made.

--

Gene

My impression, from when I was helping someone a good while ago who uses Windows 10 is that if you are working with Windows programs, it is similar using Windows 7 but if you are using apps, that is somewhat or maybe quite different.
Gene

Sent: Wednesday, August 26, 2020 3:45 PM
To: main@techtalk.groups.io

Hi all,

I have two students who are making the transition from win7 to win10.
I keep hearing, "Oh, this is the same as it used to be...". Yes, of
course it is. It may have a new name or be in a different place, but
it's still Windows and it still behaves like Windows.

Ann P.

Original message:

-
You're preaching to the choir, here! And the sad thing is that most actually understand the basic concepts very well if they've been browsing the web for years. And depending on what particular browser they've been using, sometimes the transition to another is as close to completely painless as possible.
But even if it's sheer hell, those of us who've been in the IT business for a long time know it's insanity to use any unsupported operating system and/or browser in contact with cyberspace. It's just begging to be attacked/infected/compromised. It's all the more so if we're talking Windows platforms, not that the risk is eliminated by any means if you're using a Mac or Linux.
Nothing is so constant as change, and nowhere is it so constant as it is in the world of computing. It is also both my observation as a teacher and as an end-user that it is generally much, much easier - which is not to say easy - to be going through transitions along with a large group of other people because you'll all be having similar questions and encountering similar problems at the same time. Transitioning to Windows 10 from, say, XP, Vista, or 7, at this point is more difficult because many who did so back in 2015 or 2016 have forgotten details of those older versions of Windows as well as details of how they addressed things way back when. If you add to that how Windows 10 itself has evolved, certain things that were perfectly valid when written 2 years ago, say, no longer apply. Better to be a leaf floating along the stream with a whole bunch of other leaves than that poor, last leaf that falls into the river in either the dead of winter, where you're stuck on the ice, or during "the rainy season" with whitewater and where you're alone in said whitewater.
--

--
Ann K. Parsons
Portal Tutoring

heather albright

That is why I had to ask, my question as I have not used IE as a full time browser ssense 2016. I did not know there was edge to look  like IE till my friend was told she could just turn edge in to IE. I figured that was not the case and I really wish people would not keep giving faulse information. She is like wonce you tell her something, she does not let it go. I would be trying to tell her how to do something say on chrome or brave and all she saids, "so I can do the same thing on IE right!" So did she here my lesson or what, I wonder! I always  use a extensive notes list from the lists i am on just in case I need to know how to do something. So even though I do not use edge, I keep the lessons on how to use it.  Thanks Cheers Heather
 Original Message -----

Sent: Wednesday, August 26, 2020 3:38 PM

-
You're preaching to the choir, here!   And the sad thing is that most actually understand the basic concepts very well if they've been browsing the web for years.  And depending on what particular browser they've been using, sometimes the transition to another is as close to completely painless as possible.

But even if it's sheer hell, those of us who've been in the IT business for a long time know it's insanity to use any unsupported operating system and/or browser in contact with cyberspace.  It's just begging to be attacked/infected/compromised.   It's all the more so if we're talking Windows platforms, not that the risk is eliminated by any means if you're using a Mac or Linux.

Nothing is so constant as change, and nowhere is it so constant as it is in the world of computing.  It is also both my observation as a teacher and as an end-user that it is generally much, much easier - which is not to say easy - to be going through transitions along with a large group of other people because you'll all be having similar questions and encountering similar problems at the same time.  Transitioning to Windows 10 from, say, XP, Vista, or 7, at this point is more difficult because many who did so back in 2015 or 2016 have forgotten details of those older versions of Windows as well as details of how they addressed things way back when.  If you add to that how Windows 10 itself has evolved, certain things that were perfectly valid when written 2 years ago, say, no longer apply.  Better to be a leaf floating along the stream with a whole bunch of other leaves than that poor, last leaf that falls into the river in either the dead of winter, where you're stuck on the ice, or during "the rainy season" with whitewater and where you're alone in said whitewater.

--

Gene

In case the information is useful, I haven't used JAWS to any extent for years and I haven't updated it. I still have 13.x and I tried it with Chrome. I'm using Windows 7. I'm not sure such an old version of JAWS will be at all useful in Windows 10. but since there are still people using Windows 7, you don't have to keep using Internet Explorer because you have a version of JAWS as old as 13.x. Chrome works very well with 13.x.

You can't use Firefox but you can use Chrome.
Also, I tried Brave but very little. the page I looked at might not have displayed quite correctly but it may not matter much. After I saw a little odd material at the top, I looked down the page a way and it seemed to display properly or just about properly.

Gene

Sent: Wednesday, August 26, 2020 2:16 PM

What does the person want to do? In Firefox, Brave or Chrome, browsing is
almost exactly the same. If the person wants to learn how to work with
settings or the interface, they have to learn more. If not, it may be that
they may need to learn little or almost nothing.

Gene

Gene