Topics

how to find out how much RAM and CPU power a computer can handle

Keith S

Hi,

What is the easiest way to find out how much Ram and CPU power a computer's main board can handle?
Newbie to Jaws and windows 10, so if there are directions to :

do this or do that

please give instructions

Thanks

I have absolutely no idea how to determine what CPU upgrades can be applied to a given motherboard, though I'll bet the CPU makers have scanners to determine that.

I do know that Crucial.com offers the Crucial System Scanner, and the results are presented post scan in a webpage that will pop up in your default browser when it completes, that tells you how much memory your computer currently has, the slots it's actually installed in, and what the maximum memory for the system (that would occupy all slots, if all are not already used) is as well as the type of memory the system will take.

Juan Gonzalez

Many factors can determine this but a google search may be a good start. If it’s a computer from a main stream manufacture you can simply google the model and can it be upgraded or more specific can the processor on (model) be upgraded. If it can be more than likely someone out there has done it already. From my experience desktops are usually the best when it comes to updating where laptops usually have limits on what you can update.

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

What is the easiest way to find out how much Ram and CPU power a computer's main board can handle?

Newbie to Jaws and windows 10, so if there are directions to :

do this or do that

please give instructions

Thanks

Dave

What upgrades can be done to either the CPU or RAM Memory depends upon the Motherboard.  I doubt if MS Windows gives this info.

However, if you knew the Motherboard Brand and Model, you could then look that up and see what the limits of the CPU and Memory would be.

Grumpy Dave

On 9/8/2020 11:25 AM, Juan Gonzalez via groups.io wrote:

Many factors can determine this but a google search may be a good start. If it’s a computer from a main stream manufacture you can simply google the model and can it be upgraded or more specific can the processor on (model) be upgraded. If it can be more than likely someone out there has done it already. From my experience desktops are usually the best when it comes to updating where laptops usually have limits on what you can update.

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

What is the easiest way to find out how much Ram and CPU power a computer's main board can handle?

Newbie to Jaws and windows 10, so if there are directions to :

do this or do that

please give instructions

Thanks

Monte Single

Once again,  this is where the belarc advisor is your small, simple, and free digital friend

You can find it at;

www.belarc.com

It is a small download.

INsatll the program, it comes with no attached garbage.

Run the program and a web page will open with all the specs of your computer; this includes such things as;

Mainboard board name and model,

Cpu name and model,

Amount of ram including used slots and feee slots,

Drives,

Video,

Audio,

All installed software including product keys,

And more.

With  the main board model, you can find which processors and amount of ram the board will support.

Sorry, no ginsu knife included.

What is the easiest way to find out how much Ram and CPU power a computer's main board can handle?

Newbie to Jaws and windows 10, so if there are directions to :

do this or do that

please give instructions

Thanks

Edited

Monte,

          I adore Belarc Advisor, and just ran it again on my machine.  And with regard to memory, while it tells you what actually is installed in each slot, I can find nothing that indicates either the memory type, nor the amount of memory one could use to max out the machine across all slots it possesses.

          That's why I recommend the Crucial System Scanner for that specific need.  To run it, go to the Crucial Main Page, locate and activate the Scan Computer link, check the Agree to terms and conditions checkbox, then activate the Scan my computer link.  The Scan my computer link just given will cause CrucialScan.exe to be downloaded directly if you activate it.  Once CrucialScan.exe is downloaded and saved wherever you wish, fire up the program.  You will get two prompts, one from UAC asking if you want to run it, which you will consent to, then, surprisingly, you are presented with a selection menu for the web browser you wish to have the results displayed in.  The first entry is whatever you have set as your system default, but any others on the system are below it.  Once the browser is chosen, it opens and you will get a looping message about "we are finding compatible updates for your computer" until the scan is done.  At this moment, I think the scanner is having issues, as it's failing, but I've had that happen in the past and just try it again at a later time.

           The report on your current memory configuration, what the motherboard slot configuration is, and upgrade to memory (if possible) to max it out if it's not already will be presented in your web browser when it finishes.

Loy

I just came into this you can go to crucial.com and download a little utility called crucial scan, run it and it will tell you the kind you have installed and how much the computer can be upgraded to.

What is the easiest way to find out how much Ram and CPU power a computer's main board can handle?
Newbie to Jaws and windows 10, so if there are directions to :

do this or do that

please give instructions

Thanks

Monte Single

Hi Brian,

Yes,  In terms of the ram features of a system, the belarc advisor is not as comprehensive  as the Crucial tools.

I recommended the Belarc Advisor  because it gives a more rounded picture of the system.

The main thing it does is tell the brand and model of the main board; from that all other info concerning cpu and ram can be found.

It is great to have such simple and easy to use tools as belarc and crucial.

          I adore Belarc Advisor, and just ran it again on my machine.  And with regard to memory, while it tells you what actually is installed in each slot, I can find nothing that indicates either the memory type, nor the amount of memory one could use to max out the machine across all slots it possesses.

          That's why I recommend the Crucial System Scanner for that specific need.  To run it, go to the Crucial Main Page, locate and activate the Scan Computer link, check the Agree to terms and conditions checkbox, then activate the Scan my computer link (which is actually a download link for the CrucialScan.exe file, and I'll bet the Scan my computer link I just gave may work if activated directly from this very message).