Topics

how to format SD cards larger than 32GB, please

Greg Daniel <gdaniel@...>

Hi everyone,

A friend of mine has a Humanware Stratus V12M, and has an SD card whose capacity she suspects is larger than 32GB. While I know that larger SD cards must be formatted differently than their smaller brethren, I have no idea how to format them using Windows 10 and JAWS.

Any helpful hints would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Greg

Smiling?

You will need to use a third party utility such as the one shared below to
successfully format the drive to FAT32, but then again, you did not say
anything at all about wanting to format the card to FAT32. If you do want to
format the card to FAT32, you will once again, need to use the software
below to accomplish this otherwise, you can plug the card into your machine
and right click the card (Applications key or Shift+F10) and arrow down to
format. Because the card is as you said, is most likely larger than 32GB, it
will not give you the option of FAT32 though hence the creation of the
software below which enables any sized drive to be formatted as FAT32.

I've never used a Stratus V12M, but being that it's from HumanWare, there
very well may be a format option within the menus as there are within the
Victor and Trek devices. Something to certainly take a look at and see
otherwise the software below is the answer if again, the card is desired to
be formatted as FAT32 otherwise as already mentioned, just format the card
using your computer.

Ridgecrop Consultants Ltd:
http://www.ridgecrop.demon.co.uk/index.htm?guiformat.htm

The link upon this page that you are going to want to use is titled:
Click to download guiformat.exe
This is portable software so it will not install anything to your machine.

Windows will ask you if you want to run the file. Click yes. It will ask you
if you want to allow it to have (Admin) access to your computer. Click yes.
The program will start. Select a drive to format. Click Start. Your drive
should be formatted in a few seconds

In the "FAT32 Format" window, select the drive to format and type a volume
label if you want to. Select the " Quick Format " option, and then click the
"Start" button. A window pops up to warn you that all data on the drive will
be lost. Click "OK" to format the drive. Formatting with this tool is much
quicker than the command line method. One thing to note here: you'll need to
close any open File Explorer windows before you format the drive. If you
don't, the tool will interpret the drive as being used by another app and
formatting will fail. If this happens to you, just close the File Explorer
windows and try again. No need to relaunch the tool or anything.

A friend of mine has a Humanware Stratus V12M, and has an SD card whose
capacity she suspects is larger than 32GB. While I know that larger SD
cards must be formatted differently than their smaller brethren, I have no
idea how to format them using Windows 10 and JAWS.

Any helpful hints would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Greg

Greg Daniel <gdaniel@...>

Thank you for your helpful information.  I searched through the onboard user's manual on my own Humanware Stratus, but of course found everything under the sun except the information for which I was searching.  the reason for my assuming that the SD card had to be specially formatted is that every higher-capacity card that I've seen for sale, the company volunteers to format it for use for reading digital books.

Greg

At 01:38 AM 6/30/2020, you wrote:
[...]

Ann Parsons

Hi all,

Yes, the Stratus has a formatting option which should work. If it doesn't, then follow the instructions in the previous message in the thread.

Ann P.

--
Ann K. Parsons
Portal Tutoring