From: main@TechTalk.groups.io <main@TechTalk.groups.io> On Behalf Of Fanus
Sent: Tuesday, July 14, 2020 4:05
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io
Subject: [TechTalk] How to get into CMOS with speech access

Hello list
I am just wondering if, after so many years, if there is a way to access
CMOS. I want to change the boot sequence but to get sighted assistance who
knows about CMOS is a challenge and I do not want to unplug everything to
take the pc to a shop.
Regards
Fanus

Steve Matzura

The answer to your question is, unfortunately, no. Many years ago--probably about twenty-five by now--somebody came up with a program that somehow got access to UEFI, but then the whole concept of access to BIOS and UEFI jut evaporated. Bottom line, as I said at the beginning of this message, the answer is still unfortunately no.

On 7/14/2020 7:14 AM, Smiling? wrote:
What it sounds like you are truly speaking of is not CMOS, but what is
called the BIOS.

The BIOS (Basic Input Output System) is where the boot sequence (boot order)
is determined for the machine and how you the user gets to this, is
different for each various machine.

Just go online and search for your make and BIOS keystroke.

I am just wondering if, after so many years, if there is a way to access
CMOS. I want to change the boot sequence but to get sighted assistance who
knows about CMOS is a challenge and I do not want to unplug everything to
take the pc to a shop.
Regards
Fanus

Fanus

Hello
Thanks, I looked at system information and it says BIOS is American
Megatrends. Is that what I have to google? The system name just says "to be
filled by O.E.M".

Regards
Fanus

I am just wondering if, after so many years, if there is a way to access
CMOS. I want to change the boot sequence but to get sighted assistance who
knows about CMOS is a challenge and I do not want to unplug everything to
take the pc to a shop.
Regards
Fanus

Howard Traxler

Way, Way back in the old days:
I connected a Braille Blazer (Braille embosser) to the parallel port on my computer.  Then, when I got into the BIOS screen, I could do a print screen and the entire screen was sent to either Braille or speech via the Blazer.  By reading the Braille or listening to the speech, one could find differences based on the result of a recent key press.

Very slow process, and big waste of paper; but it did get the job done.

<HT>

On 7/14/2020 6:14 AM, Smiling? wrote:
What it sounds like you are truly speaking of is not CMOS, but what is
called the BIOS.

The BIOS (Basic Input Output System) is where the boot sequence (boot order)
is determined for the machine and how you the user gets to this, is
different for each various machine.

Just go online and search for your make and BIOS keystroke.

I am just wondering if, after so many years, if there is a way to access
CMOS. I want to change the boot sequence but to get sighted assistance who
knows about CMOS is a challenge and I do not want to unplug everything to
take the pc to a shop.
Regards
Fanus

Smiling?

General Keystrokes to get into the BIOS:
F3,
F4,
F10,
F12,
Tab,
Escape,
Control+Alt+F3,
Control+Alt+Del,
Control+Alt+Shift+Del (using Del from the keypad),
Control+Insert,
Control+Shift+Esc,
Fn+[any "F" function key] (on some laptops).

As shown above, the keystroke can vary from machine to machine, but
machines manufactured by the same manufacturer, for the most part anyway,
will have the same keystroke.

BIOS is a firmware that is embedded on a small memory chip on the system
board (commonly referred to as a motherboard). It controls the keyboard,
monitor, disk drives, and other devices involved.

Try to remember though, there can just about always be exceptions.

I am just wondering if, after so many years, if there is a way to access
CMOS. I want to change the boot sequence but to get sighted assistance who
knows about CMOS is a challenge and I do not want to unplug everything to
take the pc to a shop.
Regards
Fanus

Howard Traxler

You say:
BIOS is a firmware that is embedded on a small memory chip on the system board (commonly referred to as a motherboard).

I'm wondering: is that BIOS chip addressable from an app, possibly written in some language like C, assembler, python, or the like? Back in the Apple 2 days, we used to use the BASIC "peek" and "poke" commands to alter things we wanted to make "better", haha.

<HT>

On 7/15/2020 4:04 AM, Smiling? wrote:
[...]

Truly not sure if there's an actual application available that would allow a user access to the chip involved with BIOS information (would be surprised if there wasn't though).

If a person had actual knowledge and understanding of coding for the BIOS, then yes. Because as you are most likely aware of, there are BIOS firmware updates from time to time and if a person truly wanted to mess with this firmware coding, they could. Could they easily screw things up? Obviously, but to each their own right?