Topics

how to get rid of page breaks in note pad

heather albright

Hello, I wante to get rid of my NVDA from announcing page breaks with notepad. So what is the best way, if anyone knows how to do this, please send the sequence commands. I do not like page breaks to be announced when reading books. Thank you,

Heather

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Gene

I'm not sure how it might be done other than the method I'll present here.
This is a symbol and for some reason, I find that I can't add it to the default speech dictionary or the voice dictionary and have it honored. I have to place it in the temporary dicgtionary. Perhaps others will have other experiences.
First, you have to get the symbol in a syntax that it can be pasted to the temporary dictionary. I've tried just selecting it and copying it to the clipboard. It doesn't work. You have to select something right next to it, such as a space and select the symbol and copy both to the clipboard.
Then, when you paste what you copied into the pattern field, remove the additional carachter after pasting.
Then tab once to the pronounced as field and type a space. Tab to and activate the ok button, then tab to and activate the next ok button. You have solved the problem for this session of NVDA.

I wish I knew a permanent solution but at least when I've tried this, I have to go through this procedure every time I run NVDA that I want the symbol not to be spoken. You may be able to remove the page breaks using search and replace but I haven't played with that to any extent.

Hello, I wante to get rid of my NVDA from announcing page breaks with notepad. So what is the best way, if anyone knows how to do this, please send the sequence commands. I do not like page breaks to be announced when reading books. Thank you,

Heather

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

heather albright

Thank you, I do not have a symbol before the page break, unless, it is the space before the page break. Is that what  your talking about? Thank you, Heather

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Hello, I wante to get rid of my NVDA from announcing page breaks with

notepad. So what is the best way, if anyone knows how to do this, please

send the sequence commands. I do not like page breaks to be announced when

reading books. Thank you,

Heather

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Gene

Anything will do but I'm saying that if there is a space, you can copy both the space and the page break to the clipboard. Then after you paste the space and page break to the pattern field, remove gthe space.

Thank you, I do not have a symbol before the page break, unless, it is the space before the page break. Is that what your talking about? Thank you, Heather

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Hello, I wante to get rid of my NVDA from announcing page breaks with

notepad. So what is the best way, if anyone knows how to do this, please

send the sequence commands. I do not like page breaks to be announced when

reading books. Thank you,

Heather

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Mike B

Hi Heather,

These are steps for Word, but give them a try in Notepad to see how it goes.

You might consider using the "Find and Replace" dialog box to remove all manual page breaks.

1.  Use CTRL+H to move focus into the Replace page of the dialog box.
2.  In the Find What edit box type a caret followed by a small m.  (The
caret is a shift on the number 6 and be sure not to capitalize the m).
3.  Tab to the replace edit box but just leave it blank if you don't want to
replace the manual page breaks with anything else.
4.  If you want to keep any of the manual page breaks then tab to the
Replace button and use spacebar.  You can then use the Next button to move
to the manual page breaks and remove one at a time.  Otherwise, tab to the
Replace all button and use spacebar.
5.  Word will let you know how many manual page breaks it removed and you can press spacebar on the OK button.

Sent: Friday, September 11, 2020 11:14 AM

Thank you, I do not have a symbol before the page break, unless, it is the space before the page break. Is that what  your talking about? Thank you, Heather

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Hello, I wante to get rid of my NVDA from announcing page breaks with

notepad. So what is the best way, if anyone knows how to do this, please

send the sequence commands. I do not like page breaks to be announced when

reading books. Thank you,

Heather

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Gene

I doubt that is the same symbol as whatever put the page breaks into the document uses. I tried placing the symbol in a document in Notepad and NVDA didn't say page break when it read the symbol. It said carret m.

Also, when I work with the symbol, as far as I can tell, it takes one space.

Thank you, I do not have a symbol before the page break, unless, it is the space before the page break. Is that what your talking about? Thank you, Heather

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Hello, I wante to get rid of my NVDA from announcing page breaks with

notepad. So what is the best way, if anyone knows how to do this, please

send the sequence commands. I do not like page breaks to be announced when

reading books. Thank you,

Heather

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Mike B

That's what it's supposed to say.  The, ^m, is what Windows uses to replace or remove the page break symbol.  The only way to know if it works or not is to use the steps in a file that has page breaks in it.  Here are other symbols that are used in the Find & Replace feature.

Paragraph Mark, ^p
Tab Character, ^t
Any Character, ^c
Any Digit, ^g
Any Letter, ^y
Caret Character, ^r
§ Section Character, ^a
¶ Paragraph Character, ^a
Column Break, ^u
Em Dash, ^m
En Dash, ^n
Endnote Mark, ^e
Field, ^d
Footnote Mark, ^f
Graphic, ^i
Manual Line Break, ^l
Manual Page Break, ^k
Nonbreaking Hyphen, ^h
Nonbreaking Space, ^s
Optional Hyphen, ^o
Section Break, ^b
White Space, ^w
Take care.
Mike
Global warming?  Most likely caused from hot air generated by politicians!

Hello, I wante to get rid of my NVDA from announcing page breaks with

notepad. So what is the best way, if anyone knows how to do this, please

send the sequence commands. I do not like page breaks to be announced when

reading books. Thank you,

Heather

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Gene

It appears the person who asked the original question is using NVDA. JAWS doesn't announce the page break carachter when it encounters it.

I assume, and it’s a good assumption, but the person may correct me if I'm wrong, that the person is hearing the words page break being spoken, not the characters you are citing. She asks how to remove page breaks and I doubt she would say that if she heard the code spoken as carret m.

But the carachter being discussed isn't the carachter you are discussing. If it were, NVDA would say page break just as it does when it encounters whatever is being used.

I don't know what the carachter is. The carachter you are referencing may be used as a page break character but I don't know which programs do so or under what circumstances.

Hello, I wante to get rid of my NVDA from announcing page breaks with

notepad. So what is the best way, if anyone knows how to do this, please

send the sequence commands. I do not like page breaks to be announced when

reading books. Thank you,

Heather

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Mike B

She said that she wants to stop NVDA from reading page breaks in Notepad.  Well, the steps I provided will remove the page breaks and the, ^m, is the symbol that is used in the find & replace feature to do this.  You put, ^m, into the Find field..., now follow the steps I posted earlier.  As I tried to explain the ^m, is a Windows thing used by the find & replace feature to remove page breaks just like, ^p, is used to remove paragraph marks and , ^t, is used to remove tabs.  All I'm suggesting is to remove the page breaks not modify a dictionary file to stop NVDA from announcing them.  She might not want to remove them, but I don't know what the page break symbol looks like, just like yourself, to modify the NVDA dictionary to keep NVDA from announcing it.  I also couldn't find either the ASCII or ANSI digital codes to create a page break manually to place either in the find & replace dialogue or the dictionary so NVDA wouldn't announce it.  I may be wrong, but I think you're wanting to suppress the announcement of the page break where I'm suggesting the removal of the page break so there isn't a page break to be announced.  I don't know if she wants to remove the page breaks or not and I don't know enough about NVDA to offer another suggestion than the removal of the page breaks.  Hopefully she'll respond to let us know her outcome.

Hello, I wante to get rid of my NVDA from announcing page breaks with

notepad. So what is the best way, if anyone knows how to do this, please

send the sequence commands. I do not like page breaks to be announced when

reading books. Thank you,

Heather

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

heather albright

Yes, I do not want the screen reader to announce page breaks. They can bee there but, I just do not want to hear page break for every page break in the text. Very annoying when one reads a book or text. I have not taking the steps very busy today, so never got around to trying it out. Thank you for the info. I never understood why some screen readers do not have this issue most notedly j2018 and VO of my phone or ipad. While others like the latest jaws and narrator cant get rid of them when reading text. And jaws support is to lame to fix it evem when  I tried their steps which, I might add, the folks who gave them to me, have not tried them cause they would see these steps  are not stopping jaws from saying page break with either word or notepad. Cheers Heather

[...]

I understand this can be a total pain in the keester, but have you tried changing your punctuation settings in NVDA to either None or Some to see if this would help?

Sent: Friday, September 11, 2020 9:29 PM

[...]

Yes, I turned all off, at least the ones I could. I hope to try the steps maybe after my all day conference gets over. Cheers Heather

Sent: Friday, September 11, 2020 9:29 PM

[...]

That does nothing. I have my punctuation set to none and NVDA still announces page break when the symbol is encountered. As I said in my previous message, it does not say m or carret m, it says the words page break so this is clearly a different symbol. If it were the same one, if I manually place it in a document, NVDA would announce page break and it doesn't.

From: Gene

Hello, I wante to get rid of my NVDA from announcing page breaks with

notepad. So what is the best way, if anyone knows how to do this, please

send the sequence commands. I do not like page breaks to be announced when

reading books. Thank you,

Heather

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Gene

I'm sorry, but I'm very skeptical that Mike's steps will work.

Here are steps that should work if you want to remove them.

I didn't remember doing this, but I found a document I saved quite some time ago in which I removed them. the way I did it is the following:
I copied the page break carachter to the clipboard by selecting it and another carachter immediately to the right or the left of it and copyihng it.
I then pasted it into the search field of the search and replace dialog and I then removed the other carachter, leaving only the page break.
I then placed a space in the replace field, though I may not have had to do that.
I then tabbed to and pressed the space bar on the replace button and it did.

From: heather albright

From: Gene

Hello, I wante to get rid of my NVDA from announcing page breaks with

notepad. So what is the best way, if anyone knows how to do this, please

send the sequence commands. I do not like page breaks to be announced when

reading books. Thank you,

Heather

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Gene

Here's something someone may provide the answer to. I was looking into the question and the carachter for page break we are discussing is an ASCII carachter. These may be entered using alt numpad codes, when the numlock is on. For example, holding alt and typing the followihng numbers on the numpad then releasing alt inserts the carriage return code:
alt 0 1 3.

I haven't found the symbol for page break and I've done a lot of looking. I hope a list member gives the code because I'm curious.

I gather that some word processors have a feature that you can use to insert ASCII codes into documents, but I don't know enough about that to discuss that further. I'm quite sure that's what the insert code feature does in JAWS, inserts the ASCII code for a symbol you select from a list into a document. I don't remember the name of the feature.

It appears that, as I suspected, there is more than one way to write some of these symbols, maybe all, but I don't know enough about that to discuss it further.

From: heather albright

From: Gene

Hello, I wante to get rid of my NVDA from announcing page breaks with

notepad. So what is the best way, if anyone knows how to do this, please

send the sequence commands. I do not like page breaks to be announced when

reading books. Thank you,

Heather

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Ann Parsons

Hi all,

Um, point of clarification? I believe the original poster said that the problem was that NVDA announced the page breaks in continuous reading mode. This is not the same as removing the page-break from the document. Wouldn't changing the punctuation to none in NVDA eliminate the announcement of page-breaks?

Now, I could be wrong because I was reading the original post at 23:00 last evening, never a good time for sharpness of mind. So if I'm wrong, just ignore me. However, me thinks you're all trying to remove the dozen large cans of cream from the dairy instead of just removing the cat. <smiling with twinkle>

Ann P.

--
Ann K. Parsons
Portal Tutoring

"All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost."

Ann Parsons

Hi all,

Ah, vindacation! I believe this is an NVDA command and can be easily solved. Maybe Joseph Lee or Quentin Whosits can enlighten us? My first thought is to go into the menu and look in audio preferences. At least I'd start there.

Hmmm, interesting, there's a whole list of symbols under an item in the menu called symbol something-or-other. It really does help to explore the menus of your program. Now all you need to do is find the pesky page-break. If it isn't in the list, which is quite extensive, then apparently you can add it. I'd seek info on the NVDA list first, though. I'm about halfway there to fixing the problem, but think an expert may do better at this.

Ann P.

[...]

In a message later in the thread, I said that with NVDA, page break is announced no matter how you have punctuation set. I don't recall if the question specifically mentioned read to end, I don't recall the exact name of the feature, but page break is spoken no matter how you encounter it, read to end, move by line, etc.

Hello, I wante to get rid of my NVDA from announcing page breaks with
notepad. So what is the best way, if anyone knows how to do this, please
send the sequence commands. I do not like page breaks to be announced when
reading books. Thank you,

Heather

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

--
Ann K. Parsons
Portal Tutoring
EMAIL: akp@...
Skype: Putertutor

"All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost."

Gene

Its an interesting possibility, but I doubt it. Of course, my doubts may be wrong. I'll try the suggestion, but page break is not punctuation. It is formatting and as such, may not be covered even if placed in the list.

[...]

I was wrong, the symbol pronunciation list isn't limited to punctuation. Page break is there. I'll play with the setting.