Topics

How to make Firefox let me choose to run rather than save a download?

Sharon Hooley

Hi,

As I understand it, there are times when a Windows app needs to be run directly in order to follow online instructions.  I have set firefox to save, rather than open, an app I want to download, but I don't understand how to revert to have the option to open it again.  With the latest Windows and Firefox update, how do I reset this option?

Ann Parsons

Morning all,

I wouldn't change FF's options at all! It is always, always, always safer to download an executable file rather than to run it. Some of the little applets for conferencing software like to have you run them rather than save them, but you don't have to do that. If you download the executable file, you will have a copy of it in case your computer goes south, you can upload the file to Dropbox or wherever you save files. I don't know what instructions you're reading, but save whatever file it is and run it yourself. Don't let your computer control you, you control your computer.

Ann P.

P.S., It's always courteous to sign your posts. It allows people who reply to you to address you by name instead of saying, "Hey you!"

--
Ann K. Parsons
Portal Tutoring

"All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost."

On Sat, Aug 29, 2020 at 12:03 PM, Ann Parsons wrote:
save whatever file it is and run it yourself.
-
Ann, Amen, Amen, AMEN!!!

Microsoft disabled the autorun feature because of the disasters caused when it was active.  Even though security suites are supposed to scan (and do scan) executable files and zip files on download, it is always safer to download them and continue the process yourself.

Even in browsers that allow me to choose an option to run when download finishes, I never do, and that's because I've seen what can result.  I will sometimes even run a downloaded executable through a virustotal.com scan afterward, but before ever triggering it.  Those few minutes and steps can save a world of hurt.

Ann Parsons

Hi all,

<smiling> Thanks, Brian. Those of us who have been on the net for ages have learned through hard experience how to treat stuff like this. Dunnow what your background is, but I've been on the net since I joined the bulletin board system in 1989. My first computer was a Zenith 151 with 10MB of disk space. No, that's not a typo.

Always best to have control over what your computer does. Windows has become better about not making arbitrary decisions about what you want or don't want, but sometimes you have to speak firmly and take action.

I remember becoming absolutely insensed with Win98 one day what I was searching for a file. The computer put me through a huge dialog which asked how big the file was, when it was created, what kind it was and on and on. I finally got to the end of the dialog and the computer said, "Do you want to find this file now?" I started screaming! When else would I want the blankity-blank file, next Tuesday? Things have definitely improved since then.

Have a great day!

Ann P.

On Sat, Aug 29, 2020 at 12:03 PM, Ann Parsons wrote:

save whatever file it is and run it yourself.
-
Ann, Amen, Amen, AMEN!!!
--
Ann K. Parsons
Portal Tutoring
EMAIL: akp@...
Skype: Putertutor

"All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost."

Howard Traxler

Right Ann:
Don't let your computer control you, you control your computer.
but before that, just let microsoft tell you how much of your computer they will let you control.

Howard

On 8/29/2020 11:03 AM, Ann Parsons wrote:
[...]

Gene

That question was just a substitution for an ok button or a find now button and was a consumer device to appear friendly. Its not worth getting angry about, just as its not worth getting angry or annoyed when you call an automated phone system and it pretends to be a person, though the phoniness of it bothers me when it says things like I'll just look that up, as though its an overly friendly person, or it thanks me for calling when it doesn't even know I called or the phony pretense of the system pressing computer keys while its doing something.

These days file find in Windows is more automated but I suspect that is because programming is more sophisticated and because the programmers didn't want the much less powerful computers in the old days to get sluggish or unresponsive by automatically starting a search before you said to start.
I'm not sure Windows is better or worse in offering you to do things or to do them automatically and I'm not sure Windows programs are much different.

Browsers are more automated, they open more file types such as PDF in the browser unless you tell them not to.

It may be that people who use more programs than I do will disagree, but I haven't seen a lot more automation in general in programs or Windows.

[...]

<LOL> You're right there, Howard!

Ann P.

Don't let your computer control you, you control your computer.
but before that, just let microsoft tell you how much of your computer
they will let you control.
Howard
--
Ann K. Parsons
Portal Tutoring
EMAIL: akp@...
Skype: Putertutor

"All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost."

Ann Parsons

Hi all,

Yes, of course it wasn't worth getting all upset for, but I'm only human, Gene. That dialog just made me so angry! It reminded me of well meaning but clueless people who say, "You're coming to a stairway." Or, "You're going to run into the wall...." That, "Do you want to find this file now?" just pressed my buttons! I do distinctly remember screaming at the computer, "When else would I want the file? Tuesday, next week, next Christmas?"

Perhaps the fact that the file for which I was searching was crucial in my prep for a student and I had about twenty minutes to find it might have had something to do with my knee-jerk reaction. Oh, well, nobody's perfect, only God.

Ann P.

That question was just a substitution for an ok button or a find now button
and was a consumer device to appear friendly. Its not worth getting angry
about, just as its not worth getting angry or annoyed when you call an
automated phone system and it pretends to be a person, though the phoniness
of it bothers me when it says things like I'll just look that up, as though
its an overly friendly person, or it thanks me for calling when it doesn't
even know I called or the phony pretense of the system pressing computer
keys while its doing something.

Gene

I generally don't bother about such things. Something may annoy or amuse me a bit that a committee decides a program should do or say, but that's about it. I get much more disgusted when hospital workers or staff in a docgtor's office wish me or others to have a great day. this is the result of no thought or incompetent thought being given to what staff should say and directing them about it.

They don't know anything about the patient's visit or what medical news he has been given. If someone receives bad news, its really insulting and downright cruel to say to the person, have a great day. What if the person is in pain of which they are unaware.

Its those kinds of things that really bother me, not something an inanimate machine says.

But I didn't bring it up as a criticism, I was pointing out that it is a sort of attempt to be more friendly than to have an ok button or something less friendly sounding.

[...]

The reason I asked about running a program directly is because I had saved Roboform, but the start page said it hadn't been installed, so I read the download instructions and thought that was the way to get the start page recognize it. I recall other software that seemed to need running in order to connect with the online page.

Thanks for the strong warning. ′smiley′

www.CochlearAmericas.com

-----Original Message----- From: Ann Parsons
Sent: Sunday, August 30, 2020 7:35 AM
To: main@techtalk.groups.io

[...]

I can't say that what you are describing never happens but it has been my experience that if a program wants to communicate with the web site, that is done during the installation by the installer. We'll see if others have had experiences such as you describe.