How to reset a Brailliant BI 40X

Kay Malmquist

Sorry about the mess.  Let me try again.

The subject says it all. I would like to reset a Brailliant BI 40x back to factory defaults for a friend. I have looked all the way through the users guide and can not find any info on this. Does anyone know how to do this? Thanks much.

Kay Malmquist
kay.malmquist@...

The most important thing is to try and inspire people so that they can be great in whatever they want to do.
Kobe Bryant - 1978-2020 - Professional Basketball Player

Ron Canazzi

Hi Kay,

I have a Brailliant BI-40.

Once the unit is turned on, double tap the power button to put the unit in settings mode. (this means a single finger momentary press of the power button. Do not hold the power button down at all or you will turn the unit off.) Then use the bars on the very front of the unit (left and right--on each end) to move from setting to setting. For each setting (where applicable) use the two inner bars (the two bars one position from the bars on the outer end) to select choices within each setting.

You should come to a braille display text that says: 'restore default settings.'  then double tap the power button again to go back to normal mode.

This issue is a bit shaky. Sometimes I have to push the double tap of the power button twice to get it into settings mode. I don't know why this is. Maybe it's my shaky old fingers.

--
Signature:

Kay Malmquist

Hi Ron,
I think I understand what you are saying and I'll try it out.  I looked in the users guide and didn't find that at all after reading it from beginning to end.  Thanks ever so much for the help.

[...]

Ron,
by double tap, I assume you mean two quick taps on the power button?  I ask this because you said something like a single finger momentary press and that is not a double tap.  I'm just clarifying things.  Thanks again.

[...]

I am having trouble putting this thing in to settings mode.  If I just pres and release the power button, of course it goes in to standby.  If I hold it to long, like you said, it wants to shut down.  A double tap only puts it in to stand by and brings it out again.  Any more tips as to how to get in to settings?  Thanks

[...]

Yes. It would be like using a single finger double tap (quickly) on the iPhone.

On 1/16/2022 11:42 AM, Kay Malmquist wrote:

[...]

I use the method I described. This is a bit tricky. sometimes I have to try it several times.

On 1/16/2022 12:00 PM, Kay Malmquist wrote:

[...]

Once you are in the settings mode, you have to use the two outer bars on the front of the unit to move from setting to setting and then the two inner bars to make selections within each item.

[...]

I never did get that to work.  no matter how fast I did the double tap it would just pop in and out of standby.